Solo 656

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancher2

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Has anyone had trouble with a solo 656 not oiliing the bar? I checked the vent, oil tank and pickup tube was clean. I took the clutch off and have the oil pump out and have tryed to test it but can't tell if it is trying to pump or not.

there have been some oiling issues with the Solo 681, it has sometimes turned out to be the PLASTIC adjuster screw. The screw that changes oil output. It gets a ware groove in it and stops the ecentric motion for the pump to pump. I have no idea if the 656 is the same set up???

there have been some oiling issues with the Solo 681, it has sometimes turned out to be the PLASTIC adjuster screw. The screw that changes oil output. It gets a ware groove in it and stops the ecentric motion for the pump to pump. I have no idea if the 656 is the same set up???

The 656 does have that adjusting screw but it is metal and looks to be ok. What they call the activator does have some wear. The screw does push on the activator. I probably will just order a new pump and activator and hopely that will fix it. The oiling set up is kind of a cheap set up on the saw. Probably won't buy any more solo saws.

Has anyone had trouble with a solo 656 not oiliing the bar? I checked the vent, oil tank and pickup tube was clean. I took the clutch off and have the oil pump out and have tryed to test it but can't tell if it is trying to pump or not.

I have a 656 that I bought about a year and a half ago and I had oiling problems too and wound up having to replace the oil pump actuator. It is the hard plastic piece that kinda looks like an airplane propeller behind the clutch. I can't say it was the quality of the saw because I used a solvent to clean out the oil and sawdust from behind the clutch which may have softened the actuator which in turn ended up with stripped threads that engage with the actual pump plunger. I'm also not 100% certain that I properly reassembled the clutch after cleaning before I had to replace it. I found out the importance of making sure the notches on the rim of the clutch drum and the ends of the actuator are properly engaged.

Whether it was my mess up or not...when mine quit oiling right, the actuator was the problem.

live and learn...then have a beer

Latest posts

Back