solo 694

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grossm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anybody know what the real difference is between the solo 694 and the dolmar 9010? I read that they were the same saw, but why did they collaborate on this saw? is it actually a dolmar saw, or a solo saw? I visited the solo website, but they didn't have much to say about it. Does anybody know anything about these? anybody actually own one? If the Dolmar and Solo are the same saw - why are there power ratings different?

Dolmar Tech should know a little. There used to be a page on the Solo site, or the old Dolmar site that talked about when Dolmar and Solo flirted with the idea of doing some research and development together, but I don't think it worked out. Of course, this doesn't help you with your question. You might contact this guy at Solo, if he is still there: Thornton Cutchin, techserv(at)solousa.com (800)296-7656. He seems pretty knowledgeable.

I don't have a 694/9010, but as far as I know, they are the same saw. Solo's redish orange paint job is a little darker than Dolmar's. Maybe that makes the power difference.

Solos are well made saws with a good warrantees, but they are getting dated in design, unless they've come up with something new since I last looked. I have a little 650 that is a good saw for what it is. Power wise it is right there with my new Cub Cadet 5018, but not nearly as strong as my older 951, and nowhere close to the 5100s Dolmar. It is a little (little) better than the 350 Husky, IMO. The 651p is supposed to be a good 50cc pro saw, but apparently not as good as the 346xp or the 5100. Overall, I don't think the Solos stack up well against Husky or Stihl.

I have both a Solo 694 and a Dolmar 9010. Really only wanted one but ended up with both. Long story, but I will probably end up keeping one and selling one. As I understand it, they are both made by Dolmar. I haven't even put mix or oil in either one so I can't compare performance, but after a close inspection, I can't see any significant difference. Some slight difference in plastic and the clutch cover studs have a slightly different spacing. Looks like the castings are the same but drilled and tapped with just a little different spacing. I don't know why. Don't know if there are any internal differences that I can't see.

The saw is a Dolmar, not a collaboration.

I believe that Solo made a deal with Dolmar, for the 694 as a "stop-gap", when the 690 no longer could meet EPA restrictions etc, but I am not sure.

The old 690 is a more powerful saw than the 694, at least according to specs....

Back