Some city slicker that wants to play in the forest.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowman 10-4

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, My name is Matt, and I was wondering if I could get some guidance from the members of this forum. I came here because I want to know more about the jobs and careers in the mountains. There is something about the Logging/Timber/Forestry industry that calls me, I love the mountains. Always have. I am still young at 21 years old, I got no big commitments right now, no GF's, no babies or a ton of debt. I got means of transportation and lots of determination. I only have a High-school diploma and a few college credits from the local CC and a EMT-B Cert. I feel I am at a crucial time to start doing something I really want to be doing. My main question is how someone like me can get started in this type of industry. Being from a south Orange County, CA surf town, I might seem like an unlikely guy to seek this type of work, however I am itching to get out of this way too crowded place. You can only handle so many Prius's/Commies/PunkRockers/Hipsters/Environmentalists...(so I figured I will piss them off and cut down all the trees) lol. Anyways, As of now, I only have limited knowledge of the Industry, most from reading on sites like this one. I want to learn skills like felling trees, and operating various types of equipment, anything along the logging process from a tree to a 2X4, or any other opportunities those skills can provide for work in the mountains. I also realize that it is a tough business, no job security and back-breaking work. But i'm willing to struggle. I'd rather spend my days working with my hands and getting the satisfaction of my own work. I would appreciate someone showing me the right direction. I have a couple of ideas already. My cousin works for the USFS as a Fire Captain, I have talked to him about wildland firefighting, which seems like a good way to get experience in the forest. They are not aloud to hire family members, so I have been trying to get on to a fire crew with USFS for over a year now. One Captain told me to get my EMT-B cert…So I did. I tried again for this season, and they said I needed Fire Science classes or previous experience with the tools involved for the job. I did the whole AVUE mess and all, and I update my profile all the time. Another route I am thinking about is more direct, and that is just basically finding a logging outfit somewhere and seeing if I can find a entry job and prove myself choking and rigging and what not. Are those types of operations that require the need for chokers and chasers only way up north? Do many people that log come from out of the area or are they all local? I even thought of getting a job at a local tree service so I can get experience with a saw and such tools, although that usually requires prior experience as well…(And I can't speak spanish).
Any advice to point me in the right direction I would appreciate. Are these goals realistic at all? cause my parents think I am nuts, haha. I am 100% serious about this and committed. I have read alot of your comments on other threads and they are very useful, I just thought that maybe you can give advice for someone in my situation specifically.

Thanks a lot
-Matt

Go talk to California's Dept of Forestry, an entry level job there will get you a foothold.
The USFS has BD crews, lots of good experience and a shot at some fires.

Cal Fire is a good place to start. You have to be persistent!!! Find out when the application process begins and submit to every unit you can drive to. Try to do ride-alongs with any fire district or department. Keep your mouth shut and your ears open. Visit every USFS fire station or ranger headquarters you can find. Show up dressed cleanly with a collared shirt, no black death metal t-shirt or beer logo shirt. Your car should have no political or other bumper stickers. Bring a lunch but be prepared to buy lunch.

Your best bet in the short run may be a local tree service though if you are not from Mexico you have a strike against you. Defineately learn to speak Spanish at your local CC, but also ask everyone you work with who speaks Spanish to help you out. Apply at lumberyards (if there is such a thing in SoCal). Take an arborist course online. Never watch Ax Men! If you see a large tree job stop and find a safe place to watch the process.

Oh, and keep taking classes at your CC, esp English. Learn what a paragraph is.

Might consider working on a 2 year forestry degree in the mean time or part-time while looking for work.

Good luck, competition is fierce.

Hey thanks a lot guys for taking the time to reply, I appreciate the advice, keep it coming. I am going to call a bunch of Forest Station's today and see what is up. There is a local job listing for a Tree Service, I am going to apply. And ill have to look more into the Arborist related courses, I know some of the local CC's don't provide any. But i might be able to find something online.

I thought everyone from San Clemente became lawyers and then went into politics.

Hahahaa, nowadays everybody here either wants to be a pro-surfer, a model, or a reality TV star...hell I know someone who is all three. The best surf spot on the west coast is right off of Nixon's old mansion..so it all ties together.

Here is a list of logging companies in Oregon...
Associated Oregon Loggers: OPL | Directory

That is from the Associated Oregon Loggers web site...
Associated Oregon Loggers: Home

Getting a job with these guys is an "in person" handshake thing. Not something you would apply for over the internet or call about.

And every once and awhile someone on the crew messes up, then they need someone else. Maybe you can get lucky?

The biggest reason they get rid of someone is because they do not listen to the other guys and do stupid things which can seriously injure or kill the other loggers or you. (If someone says don't stand there, DON'T stand there!)

Or they do not show up for work.

For chainsaw safety, study this video...
(Stihl Chain Saw Safety, Operation & Maintenance)
STIHL Incorporated USA -- Information -- Manufacturing the World's Number One Selling Brand of Chain Saws

Study these OSHA Logging rules...
Logging eTool

If you get a job logging, watch out for these guys, they will put your chainsaw chain on backwards while you are eating lunch and other such pranks. (It will no longer cut.)

Another thing is they have volunteer fire departments in the smaller towns in Oregon.

That might be an in for you for a fire job as well as a logging job. Volunteer firemen would know somebody who is a logger and could recommend you.

Search google.com for the words...
oregon volunteer fire department

Stay away from towns near the big city of Portland. Look for towns near the mountain ranges (where the logging is).

Last edited:
I mentioned to some one in another thread, if you really want to log you need to move to a logging town. You might have to do other work in the mean time, but at least you can meet some folks and get your name out. I can't htink of anyone who would hire someone sight unseen that they didn't know. As others mentioned getting a Forest Tech degree isn't a bad stroke of business and or getting on a fire crew.

I can see how getting on a fire crew based around logging areas is smart, because in the mean time while networking around with the companies, I am sill making money to survive off of. Other than that, or somehow finding a job in that area, I probably would be camping in my truck for a while. There seems to me like there is two paths to this: straight up drive up there and look for a job, Or: work my way up through different agency's while gaining experience and getting to know the people in the industry. Thanks alot for the tips guys, keep it coming.

-Matt

I can see how getting on a fire crew based around logging areas is smart, because in the mean time while networking around with the companies, I am sill making money to survive off of. Other than that, or somehow finding a job in that area, I probably would be camping in my truck for a while. There seems to me like there is two paths to this: straight up drive up there and look for a job, Or: work my way up through different agency's while gaining experience and getting to know the people in the industry. Thanks alot for the tips guys, keep it coming.

-Matt

Except after option 2 you'll still have to go back to option one, except you'll also have some other options. Option that?

Oh, and keep taking classes at your CC, esp English. Learn what a paragraph is.
The biggest reason they get rid of someone is because they do not listen...

Apparently you haven't mastered the whole 'listening' thing yet!

par·a·graph/ˈparəˌgraf/
Noun:
A distinct section of a piece of writing, usually dealing with a single theme and indicated by a new line, indentation, or numbering.

Example:

Hey thanks a lot guys for taking the time to reply, I appreciate the advice, keep it coming.

¶I am going to call a bunch of Forest Station's today and see what is up.

¶There is a local job listing for a Tree Service, I am going to apply.

¶And ill have to look more into the Arborist related courses, I know some of the local CC's don't provide any. But i might be able to find something online.

Seriously, the way you express yourself, both in person and in your written and verbal skills, will tell the reader, (or prospective employer), a LOT about yourself!

Last edited:
Yes! I've heard the people in an "agency" discuss how they choose temporary employees. I've heard them talk about the terrible spelling and terrible writing. There are enough applicants that they tend to throw those people out. They like to see an application where the person took time to spell and write correctly.

Paragraphs are a good thing.

How are you at math? If you take forestry classes, you'd best be math proficient.

Last edited:
Yes! I've heard the people in an "agency" discuss how they choose temporary employees. I've heard them talk about the terrible spelling and terrible writing. There are enough applicants that they tend to throw those people out. They like to see an application where the person took time to spell and write correctly.

Paragraphs are a good thing.

How are you at math? If you take forestry classes, you'd best be math proficient.

Good points SlowP, especially about the math.

I work for FEMA & the NHTSA, (I'm a contract employee, don't shoot me yet!), specifically, I review grant applications and proof-read proposed rule changes. Some of the 'speeling' I see on these formal applications is shameful. These are supposed to be educated people, in some cases in charge of multi-million dollar budgets, yet they can't take the time to use spell-check or find out why some of their words have a little squiggly line underneath them. I saw one individual express 'rescue of innocent people' as 'rez-Q ov inn., ppl.'. :bang:

Another thing I see a lot of is run on sentences that lose their whole meaning because they're so long and drawn out and the writer is trying to say so much without using punctuation or paragraphing and they must be lazy too I really don't know but it makes for real difficult reading when you're reading fifty grant applications a day and your eyes get tired and by the time you get to the end of the run on sentence you've totally forgotten what point the writer was trying to convey to the reader know what I mean?

I'm far from a 'socially acceptable' individual, but I know when to put on the formal hat and do things correctly!

Last edited:
Good points SlowP, especially about the math.

I work for FEMA & the NHTSA, (I'm a contract employee, don't shoot me yet!), specifically, I review grant applications and proof-read proposed rule changes. Some of the 'speeling' I see on these formal applications is shameful. These are supposed to be educated people, in some case in charge of multi-million dollar budgets, yet they can't take the time to use spell-check or find out why some of their words have a little squiggly line underneath them. I saw one individual express 'rescue of innocent people' as 'rez-Q ov inn., ppl.'. :bang:

Another thing I see a lot of is run on sentences that lose their whole meaning because they're so long and drawn out and the writer is trying to say so much without using punctuation or paragraphing and they must be lazy too I really don't know but it makes for real difficult reading when you're reading fifty grant applications a day and your eyes get tired and by the time you get to the end of the run on sentence you've totally forgotten what point the writer was trying to convey to the reader know what I mean?I'm far from a 'socially acceptable' individual, but I know when to put on the formal hat and do things correctly!

lmao. Lot of truth to that.

Rules and regulations are often butchered up intentionally with "shall, may, might, must, will, wood, shood" and sprinkled with a bit of creative punctuation until they are downright meaningless (or meaningful, haha).

I work fire for the U.S.F.S. and I'd recommend (if you still want to get on a fire crew) find an organization that is offering S-130/190 class.

That will be a good start. Its intro to wildland fire and fire behavior. Having that on your resume will be a bonus.

Some crews will hire folks who don't have the class or any forestry experience and my advice if you're going to go that route is be persistent in calling the locations you apply for and getting to know folks. If you get hired without taking 130/190 they will pay for the class. You're pretty much done for getting a job this season but if still interested for next year start looking for places around November. Get your app in on AVUE by January and call the locations that you applied for and let them know you applied for the position.

Also, when looking for fire jobs. Find the crew foreman's number and call them and ask for the duty station that you need to select on AVUE so they will receive your app. (maybe you got that figured out but if not, now you know)

Again, thank you all that replied and helped me out.

This site seems like it has a lot of intelligent and honest people, and i'm definitely looking forward to sticking around and learning some great information from all the threads. I will take everyones bit of advice and use it towards my goals.

-Matt

I work fire for the U.S.F.S. and I'd recommend (if you still want to get on a fire crew) find an organization that is offering S-130/190 class.

That will be a good start. Its intro to wildland fire and fire behavior. Having that on your resume will be a bonus.

Some crews will hire folks who don't have the class or any forestry experience and my advice if you're going to go that route is be persistent in calling the locations you apply for and getting to know folks. If you get hired without taking 130/190 they will pay for the class. You're pretty much done for getting a job this season but if still interested for next year start looking for places around November. Get your app in on AVUE by January and call the locations that you applied for and let them know you applied for the position.

Also, when looking for fire jobs. Find the crew foreman's number and call them and ask for the duty station that you need to select on AVUE so they will receive your app. (maybe you got that figured out but if not, now you know)

Will do, I am enrolling in a Fire-Science class for this summer in a CC down in Fallbrook. I will also look into the S-130/190 and see if they are offered anywhere around here.

Haha, Sorry for that long run-on essay in the beginning of the thread, just trying to cram all my thoughts into the box. As you all suggested, I definitely will brush up on the English and Math skills, it is important to look professional and educated. I may need some work on that, however I would say my best quality is keeping a good attitude always, and taking the work I do seriously and with Integrity. I am willing to put the time in to learn new skills and strive to do the best at what I do.

Back