Some feedback on a truck...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenleaf

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am currently hunting for a 1 ton with a dump for a start up tree business this spring. Not alot of start-up capital so I'm finding that my options are somewhat limited. Anyways just wondering some opinions on starting out with a truck like the one displayed in the following link. Will be hopefully using a 9" Morbark chipper with this unit.

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=26039081&pgno=1&srt=1

Feedback and opinions would be much appreciated.

You would be better off with at least a 12-14' platform dump with chip canopy. Make sure GVW is just under 26,000 so anyone can drive it but it can also haul a heavy load. Also i won't buy less that a 12" diesel chipper.

if you were closer,
i have a 2000 gmc T7500 cab over with a cat. in it new motor has 2k on motor and 325k on chasie the box is 13'x8'x5-9". It's comming out in next weeks trucktrader

Lawmart

play safe

not a good deal

I would spend less on the chipper I just bought a 1987 chipmore for $1800 it has a 300 6 cyl. it will take 6" of material. Now I also just got a 1998 chevy stake rack dump (9'x8'x6') box with a 454 bb 4x4 53000 miles for $7000 yes the chipper is a little small but I also do firewood. For 1800 plus the 250 I put into getting it back to reliable I feel I should be able to get the money back out of it if I want to go bigger. Few more cuts but you cant beat the feed rate on the chuck and duck.:laugh: :laugh:

Take that $12K and go spend it on a useful truck.....that one is WAY over priced......I personaly wouldn't buy anything older then a 1996....diesel, 4x4 is a MUST...

Here are some better priced trucks....

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=1185832&guid=ADA4E287AA564AFCAA82B5413741AE06

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=1297383&guid=ADA4E287AA564AFCAA82B5413741AE06

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=1313880&guid=ADA4E287AA564AFCAA82B5413741AE06

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the prices on both trucks I linked to are in Canadian $$. Been hunting on the Treetrader.com but would like to find something a little closer to home and in Canada so that I don't have to deal with shipping across the border. Thanks for the feedback 'jazak'....I definately was not feeling to good about looking at a truck that is 17 years old.

some feedback on a truck

Do you have a heavy duty 3/4 ton 4 x 4 pickup? You might consider a "Little Chipster" dump unit". Will carry up to 8 yards with 6,000 pound capacity hoist. No increase in bed height with front telescope hydraulic cylinder. You can pull a 4,000 pound chipper easily. Check out my postings on ASV30 VS ASV50 thread in this forum. More details available if interested. Works great for my one person operation.

Work safe and tread lightly on the turf.

IATreeguy

my advice would be a used asplundh chip dump truck and used asplundh chipper.

you can find them paired for under 10k US and would be more than enuff for a start up.

what do you need a 4wd for? all that will do is make you attempt to get into where you shouldn't and do damage to your customers property.

Also does DOT hang around Golden. A one ton with a box like that is almost max for weight empty.

Not sure who DOT is??

what do you need a 4wd for? all that will do is make you attempt to get into where you shouldn't and do damage to your customers property

Not planning on driving where I shouldn't be, but with alot of construction going on around here alot of my jobs will involve getting the truck into less than ideal situations for a 2wd.

Thanks alot for the feedback guys!

Do you have a heavy duty 3/4 ton 4 x 4 pickup? You might consider a "Little Chipster" dump unit". Will carry up to 8 yards with 6,000 pound capacity hoist. No increase in bed height with front telescope hydraulic cylinder. You can pull a 4,000 pound chipper easily. IATreeguy

Do you have any pics of your set-up?

DOT "Department of Transportation" or those guys that drive blazers that want to be cops and think the same. They are marked with "CVIP" on the sides I think. If they stop you and find one infraction they then go over your truck with a fine tooth comb. It's nice to see them as they keep the bad trucks off the road but they get picky.Trust me on this one!!!!

Aaaah yes they set up camp on the Trans-Canada fairly often! Drove a buddies 1 ton through their road check a few years back and left with almost $900 in fines!

some feedback on a truck

Greenleaf,

I do not have photos readily available to post. I am new to this forum thing and have not got that part figured out yet as have been scrambling on my ASV purchase project.

I have read the rules here and I can not give you a web site address where you can see the vendor information that I mentioned. I can give you my e address from which I can share the info you need to see what I was describing.

Try contacting me at <[email protected]>. I totally concur with the 4 wd concept. I use the largest tires that I can cram under the fenders without having to do a lift job on the chassis. If you are going after the residential market then tread lightly and treat the turf with respect.

Do you have an arborist organization in BC? Do you have training in your new occupation? Think about ISA certification. Good Luck to you!

Sent you an email IATreeguy.

To answer your questions...yes I am ISA certified and a member of the PNW isa chapter.

Latest posts

Back