Some Mac pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey, you Mac fiends, I thought you'd enjoy the pics.

I've been hanging onto these old boys to try to cull together a few projects. The are three with top covers, but there's no guarantee that the covers are on the right saws. That being said, the covers indicate (probably) that there are 2 Super 250s and a 550. They are in various stages of completeness, and all but one has good compression and good-looking pistons.

I know the Super 250 has been the subject of some chat, but I haven't quite picked on why these saws are more sought after than other Mac models. I had a 550 way back when, now I wish I'd kept the unit, it ran pretty good, and you can't argue with 100cc. It is curious to me that the, give it's displacement, the 550 isn't more sought after.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
You have a job ahead of you, pretty darned dirty, good thing Mac enamel is tough. As for the Super 250s, you will know when you have run one.

Nice collection you got there. Looks like you will be busy for awhile. Im restoring a Super 250 now myself and I cant wait to here it run.

any body know much about the mac model 1 -71s , most all the old time loggers ( well respected gents) in my area of north mich have passed on , and i was wondering if they were a force in there time . or simply not worth carrying in to the bush. any real world info . from some one who has used them would be greatly appreciated from you mac guys. as these were way before my time.

Very nice, a selection of Super 250s and a 550 would be a great project to have on the bench. Great Macs to have in the collection.

any body know much about the mac model 1 -71s , most all the old time loggers ( well respected gents) in my area of north mich have passed on , and i was wondering if they were a force in there time . or simply not worth carrying in to the bush. any real world info . from some one who has used them would be greatly appreciated from you mac guys. as these were way before my time.

It's from the early 1960s, at 87cc it will pull a 30" bar, a hotrod in it's day. Wear earplugs.

Here's one of my 1-72s, essentially identical to your 1-71. When they were on the market, they were the biggest thing Mac had out. 87cc removable head, kart based. My other one I'm tearing down after another project is finished and I'm going to try porting it to see what they're really good for.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6kDNumYZXno&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6kDNumYZXno&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Run that saw, you'll be glad you did!

I'd like to have a Super 250. 7cc more than the 200/250/300 if I remember right. Given Mac's penchant for tinkering, I'm sure the porting is a little different, too.

I'd like to have a Super 250. 7cc more than the 200/250/300 if I remember right. Given Mac's penchant for tinkering, I'm sure the porting is a little different, too.

According to Chainsaw Collectors Corner the Super 250 is 87cc versus 80cc. An all the 200/250/300 have a 2.125" piston with a 1.375" stroke. The Super 250 differs with a 1.5" stroke. And they all say third port transfer, I dont know if port timing the same or not. Thanks for posting the video, I love the sound those saws make. I cant wait to hear one in person!!

This is all great info, and I aee the charm of the Super 250. I am definitely going to try to get at least one of those and a 550 out of my various piles of grunge. As dirty as these things look (and they are indeed) the carb boxes on the ones with covers on them are squeeky clean and should provide the basis for some runners. What I DON'T have are rewinds. Among all the saws I have one incomplete rewind (everything but the spring and the screen, as far as I can tell). I suppose that stands to reason... I'm sure they were tough, but the engines themselves were about as tough as a 2-cycle can be.

Back