some ol stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info. The mill I worked at had a big chipper underneath it fed by a vibrating conveyor. The chips were blown onto a big screen table. Chips blow out into box trailers for biomass, I think. The sawdust was blown into a shed for farmers out back. Not much fun when any of it plugged.

Was all the scrap wood and sawdust just burned in the bee hive to get rid of it or was it used to heat something like a boiler that was connected to the bee hive. Just curious. Thanks again for the info.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
see if these work, i can see post 19 on my end?

Gate Creek as of yesterday. Little different.... Although there are still some OG's around buffers and such. Pretty juicy patch of second growth none-the-less.

91949322.jpg

The fell and bucked so far... It's a little steep. Surprised they're holding the hill as well as they have.

1f876984.jpg

I like the shot of the mill with the beehive burner. Thanks for posting!

Always called them wigwam burners. Used to be one at every shake mill around here. Air pollution regs made them obsolete. Lived downwind of one all my youth. Can't say that I liked it.

We called the teepee burners.

kids.jpg

The one in the background is at Pacific Lumber's Mill "B", in Scotia.

I didn't know what clean air looked like until we moved to Rhonerville.

More Pictures Please....

We called them sawdust burners, teepee burners, wigwam burners, and lastly a home for that crazy guy.
They are gone. There is a crazy guy who hangs out in Packwood though. He has to sleep in his car.

For all you folks not from here. That picture of steep ground? I would have considered it to be normal or not so steep back when everything was being logged. This area had a lot of near vertical, and vertical units. There was usually a rock bluff in the middle, and usually a spur road was punched in to the edge of the rock bluff. There was always a way to scramble down it, usually by using vegetation belays, although those would disappear after the trees were cut. When we burned, we used the firehose (giving it a tug and hoping it was still hooked up) to get down the bluffs.

Sometimes no spur road would be put in, and there would be a lot of cussing about the blind lead.

We called the teepee burners.

kids.jpg

The one in the background is at Pacific Lumber's Mill "B", in Scotia.

I didn't know what clean air looked like until we moved to Rhonerville.

The worst part about the wigwam burners at the shake mills was the fine sawdust especially in the summer when it was dry. The waste when it went in from the top would hit the hot air currents and the fine stuff would get lifted right into the sky before it burned. The the stuff would settle out and if you lived next door which we did you would get a good dose of it. I hate the smell of cedar to this day.:arg:

Ok so nice pictures.

no hijack, no worries, keep it all coming. if anyone has pic's or stories please share.

More Pictures Please....

For all you folks not from here. That picture of steep ground? I would have considered it to be normal or not so steep back when everything was being logged. This area had a lot of near vertical, and vertical units. There was usually a rock bluff in the middle, and usually a spur road was punched in to the edge of the rock bluff. There was always a way to scramble down it, usually by using vegetation belays, although those would disappear after the trees were cut. When we burned, we used the firehose (giving it a tug and hoping it was still hooked up) to get down the bluffs.

Sometimes no spur road would be put in, and there would be a lot of cussing about the blind lead.

Yeah, it's not overly steep. Just a little. Still definitely "walkable" (when there isn't snow). There was another unit we checked out yesterday that was as you described. Rock bluff and all. Pretty amazing to me that anybody could pack gear on that and actually get anything done.

Some of my earliest memories are of smoke, steam and particulates. Lots of steam, the mill had it's own generating plant, at that time they burnt bunker oil, so between the burner and the steam plant, there was lots of ash and half burnt crap in the air. My Dad would take us outside at night to see the clouds of sparks from the burner. The other thing about living near a sawmill of that size was all the noise.

Latest posts

Back