Some old axes a saw and a peavy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkeyslayer

Smells Great
Reaction score
My 93 year old grandmother moved out of her house recently, and while going through the garage I came across some old axes. I think they are from her father so I am guessing they are late 1800's early 1900's. All the handles are home whittled. I am not sure but I believe that the strange shaped one is for hand hewn (sp?) timber, any one know for sure. I also got a swede saw and the tools to maintain it. There was also an old peavy that has been made out of what looks like a boat oar. Dont really know much about any of the stuff other than its old.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice collection!! I find that stuff to be cool. I think the one axe is called a Adze. Anyway nice find!! I like that peavy also. :cheers:

Isn't that last photo a can't hook instead of a peavy. I thought a peavy had a spike on the pole end. The one in the pic looks like mine.

correct.

I think you are correct. I couldnt think of the name at the time so I winged it.:dizzy:

a log rolling device with the blunt end is a "cant hook"
getting its name from rolling cants on a saw mill.
when a log is cut making square sides,that log is then called a "cant"

Joe Peavey invented the other log rolling device in Maine in the 1800's.
This one looks the same,however having a point at the end.

correct.

a log rolling device with the blunt end is a "cant hook"
getting its name from rolling cants on a saw mill.
when a log is cut making square sides,that log is then called a "cant"

Joe Peavey invented the other log rolling device in Maine in the 1800's.
This one looks the same,however having a point at the end.

Thats interesting, I always wondered why it was called a peavy, A log cant is self explainitory but not a peavy. Now I know the rest of the story, Good Day:)

My 93 year old grandmother moved out of her house recently, and while going through the garage I came across some old axes. I think they are from her father so I am guessing they are late 1800's early 1900's. All the handles are home whittled. I am not sure but I believe that the strange shaped one is for hand hewn (sp?) timber, any one know for sure. I also got a swede saw and the tools to maintain it. There was also an old peavy that has been made out of what looks like a boat oar. Dont really know much about any of the stuff other than its old.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
The odd shaped axe is called a goose wing axe. You also have an old filing gauge for old hand drawn cross cut saws. The other tool is a saw set used for off setting the teeth on the blade. The goose wing axe is very collectible. The other axe heads could be depending what brand they are. Nice find!!

The odd shaped axe is called a goose wing axe. You also have an old filing gauge for old hand drawn cross cut saws. The other tool is a saw set used for off setting the teeth on the blade. The goose wing axe is very collectible. The other axe heads could be depending what brand they are. Nice find!!

Thanks for the replies:clap: Interesting stuff. I would like to figure out how to use the filing gauge and saw set. I will have to ask my dad and see if he knows how to use them. I also got a spare "new" blade with the saw.:)

Thanks for the replies:clap: Interesting stuff. I would like to figure out how to use the filing gauge and saw set. I will have to ask my dad and see if he knows how to use them. I also got a spare "new" blade with the saw.:)
It's amazing how much work got done without talking power to wight as the power cam from the Men that used the saw and axes!

If you ever try to use that goose wing broad axe, be sure to stand on the opposite side of the log. I've seen recent photos of fellas trying to work one between their legs. Make sure you've paid up your AD&D insurance if you do it that way. :)

xtm

So this evening I was farting around out in the shop when I noticed one of the axe heads had some markings on it. After a little light sanding it was revealed to be a lion brand axe head. This got my curiousity up, and I discoverd 2 of the axes are lion brand and 2 have no markings (that I could find).

So I googled lion brand axes with no success. Any one ever heard of lion brand? Know where they were made? Or an approximate date of manufacture?

Any help would be much appreciated:clap:

:cheers:

Cool find

Not to be overly fussy, but your odd shaped axe is actually a bearded axe. A goosewing axe has an upswept point that extends above the eye along with the long edge below the eye. A bearded axe only has the edge below. Or at least that's my understanding.

Goosewing Axe
attachment.php

Bearded Axe
attachment.php

I have no idea about the brand issue, though.

Very nice stuff either way.

nice tools. back when tools were built to last. Here's and old pick i got. its got a symbol on it with a boat anchor, maybe someone knows something about it.

Latest posts

Back