Somethin tells me this is a homeowners work...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HusqyStihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
tree.JPG tree2.JPG

Is this normal practice?? i'm far from being a qualified arborist and i'm learning to climb soon to start out but something doesnt seem right with this removal. Should i say something to the homeowner? Is this a disaster waiting to happen? It's about a mile away from my house, counted 6 ladders lying around and they dropped the opposite side in the road and left it strapped together with a short chain and rachet strap. I'm concern, would anyone do this??

Any time you see an extension ladder in a pic like that. Not a pro.

Edit: never mind the abortion that is the rest of that "removal."
Good grief-what a mess!

Definitely, but i'm concerned safety wise... Should a pro step in? should i stop and ask their plan? I'm far from a pro but i think this is a bad scenario and suggestions as to what a pro would do now would be helpful. I'd hate to see someone get hurt when i could suggest something different then the way they are removing this tree...

I would have been concerned too. That maple has several weak spots. Ingrownbark at the base, parts of it has split, severe tilt, side heavy with half of the crown standing. Maple doesn't hinge very well, it snaps real easy. You can climb it, but i wouldn't have risked it. It's better to use a skylift.

I would have been concerned too. That maple has several weak spots. Ingrownbark at the base, parts of it has split, severe tilt, side heavy with half of the crown standing. Maple doesn't hinge very well, it snaps real easy. You can climb it, but i wouldn't have risked it. It's better to use a skylift.

My concern is their "sky-lift" is laying next to the tree using ladders. I would assume taking all the weight off one side alone is pretty bad already. I fear this will fall and destroy the house or seriously injure someone or even worse. These pics were taken about 6 days ago. Theyve been going slow and i think im gonna stop and ask what the plan is and maybe lend a hand... My guess is they dont have the money for any type of rental equip and theyre using what they have. Id love to be there to see how they do it also..

that ratchet strap even worth holding that kinda weight?? i seriously doubt it

Definitely, but i'm concerned safety wise... Should a pro step in? should i stop and ask their plan? I'm far from a pro but i think this is a bad scenario and suggestions as to what a pro would do now would be helpful. I'd hate to see someone get hurt when i could suggest something different then the way they are removing this tree...

It's not worth wasting your time on it.

Just roll on by and chuckle.

I did chuckle the first time, then on the way back through i had to stop and take pics. Kids playin outside and all. Gonna hurt someone to save a buck. I would like to ask what day and time theyre gonna finish it so i can learn (chuckle) :laugh:

Yeah, I would, and if you're just a mile down the road, you have a good opening introduction. Maybe the guy is so balls deep into his 'removal' that he's out of ideas or options and just needs an objective viewpoint. But if he comes out and tells you he knows what he's doing and for you to take a hike, don't look back. Who knows, maybe his FIL, friend, or other relative talked him into it and he's as nervous as you are. I would say it's worth one shot then move on because it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Im thinkin they must be drawing a blank as it has been sitting like that for almost 2 weeks already. It could be gone today, who knows, havent been passed it in a couple days but if i go by at all and its still standing i may offer a hand or if they know what theyre doing, i could watch and learn but something about 6 ladders laying around the base and the 200lb rachet strap around the split tells me they might not have a clue as to the danger theyve gotten into. Either way if they let me become involved, it'll be a good learning point for all. And i do have to say im very curious of their thought process

You need to relax. I plan on finishing it when my groundsman gets out of jail. Bath salts make him crazy mean. Also, don,t mess with my ladders.

Guessing they did the easy part first? Would have liked to seen a pic before the mayhem started. I like to get the hard sections out of the way first if possible and finish up with the less technical parts. Let us know how it ends

Wish i saw before the start also. And ill try to follow up with finished pics if they dont take out the house in the process. Hell, id like to even see pics of that also, i bet somethin goes wrong

I'd just be interested in their methods to proceed. It would be good to gain the knowledge wether it turns out good or bad. And of course what could have been done to prevent an accident next time. Im trying to soak up as much knowledge as i can. Not trying to be nosy, just curious in case the future holds a situation like this where i may have the chance to bid the rest of the removal and how i'd get it done safely and without said holes in the roof and failed gutters.

How would a pro approach it from here. A lift? Seems to be the only solution right?

Unless they ducktape the main stems back on to get a good rigging and TIP

:laugh:

Latest posts

Back