Something for the light work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PineRidgeAcres

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey y'all Im back again seeking info from the CGS (Chainsaw Guru Site).

With fall and deer season approaching, and the ticks and chiggers thinning out, we will be spending more time at our property.

I am going to be doing a lot of cutting, for both firewood, and thinning saplings/brush out in areas.

Ive got my HD ex-rental 6401, and its still doing me good, but DAYUM do I hate handling that heavy thing when Im cutting stuff the size of a baseball bat or smaller.

I do still have my Homelite Super 2, but there is usually myself and my father working, so after the big stuff is cut, we only have the one light saw between the two of us.

SOOO, Im fixing on pulling the trigger on a Echo 306 or 346. From what I read, both are 7.5 lbs. Im just debating whether or not to spend the extra $50-$75 on the 346 over the 306.

-but-

Before I do this, are there any other saws that light which I should be looking at?

Id like to keep the price around $200, since thats what you can get the 346 for on ebay.

Just checkin to see what the pros have to say before I go forking over some coin.

Thanks a bunch!

If you like Echos, look at the CS370. A great saw for the money and right in your class/size of saw you are looking at.

Max said:
If you like Echos, look at the CS370. A great saw for the money and right in your class/size of saw you are looking at.

Hmm.

I dont have experience with ANY of these, so please feel free to clue me in;

But it says the 370 is 10 lbs. which seems like it would bring it into a different class with some bigger saws....like for instance (staying with Echo) the 440 is only a half a pound heavier yet 10cc's bigger. :confused:

The MS180 looks a shade heavier as well, is there something about it that makes up for it (power, reliability)?

Thanks again fellas!

The Echo CS346! Put a proper bar on it with a conventional bar tensioner, run some good chain (Stihl non-safety, WoodsmanPro, etc.), and remove the screen from the muffler. You'll be pleased! The saw IS light, it cuts very well, and is the right tool for the job on the small stuff.

I wouldn't want to trim any quantity of little stuff with a 6401 either. It's a great saw, but not for trimming. That's where the 7.5lb CS346 comes in. After you re-sell the OEM INTENZ bar and safety chain on eBay (I got $25+shipping for mine), you'll have a solid little saw for about $200.

As for CS346 versus CS306, the larger motor does make a difference. I've put a lot of time in on the little Echos, both the 30 and 34cc versions. I would spend the money for the CS346 unless I could get a super deal on the 306 AND if I was only intending to use it on very, very small stuff. Then, the smaller motor might be justifiable and could allow you to keep your total cost under $120 for a good, new saw.

Total cost of less than $200 and it weighs about 8lbs (the safety chain was all I had around for the picture, in real life it only uses non-safety Stihl 3/8LP):
CS3400.jpg

The 30cc equivilent, sitting on top of an face cord of box elder that it single-handedly cut:
resized_Echo_CS3000_01.jpg

Benn_Trees_02Small.jpg

Last edited:
PineRidgeAcres said:
But it says the 370 is 10 lbs. which seems like it would bring it into a different class with some bigger saws....like for instance (staying with Echo) the 440 is only a half a pound heavier yet 10cc's bigger. :confused:

The MS180 looks a shade heavier as well, is there something about it that makes up for it (power, reliability)?

I agree with your take on the CS370. I haven't run one and I am absolutely sure that it is a fine saw because Echo saws usually are, but if the issue is weight then the old-style CS306/346 have the edge by at least a couple pounds.

The MS180 is also a fine saw. Same price category as the Echos, slightly different powerband, balance, and feel. The Stihl uses the very-narrow LP chain to take advantage of its higher revs, whereas the Echo uses standard LP, a good compliment to its reed valve engine and greater torque (or so it feels to me). Between the little Echos and the little Stihls it really comes down to personal preference and I don't think you can go wrong with either platform for trimming and smaller work.

To be honest, I think I would prefere a 2.6 hp Husky 141 to any of the saws mentioned here, if you still can find one (most 142s in the US are downrated to 2.2 hp, thanks to EPA).

There is a reason why Echo doesn't pulish the power output of their saws....:hmm3grin2orange:

SawTroll said:
To be honest, I think I would prefere a 2.6 hp Husky 141 to any of the saws mentioned here, if you still can find one (most 142s in the US are downrated to 2.2 hp, thanks to EPA).

There is a reason why Echo doesn't pulish the power output of their saws....:hmm3grin2orange:

They're about 10lbs, right? Shoot, if I'm going to run a 10lb saw I'll want more than 2.6hp!

But, in case anyone cares, here's a new one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Husqvarna-141-w-18-Bar-Chain_W0QQitemZ150040200348QQihZ005QQcategoryZ79666QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

computeruser said:
They're about 10lbs, right? Shoot, if I'm going to run a 10lb saw I'll want more than 2.6hp!

That's right - but we are talking about just 200 USD here - you can't have it all then....:bowdown:

Last edited:
I have an Echo 346 for exactly what you are doing, trimming and light firewood. I have even used it in 10~12 in stuff on rare occasion. I did exactly as previously mentioned, loosened up the exhaust. Cat-con fell out somehow too soomehow??? I did a dealer swap for the bar and chain off of a 306. It is a 14 inch, but is the .043 narrow kerf chain. I also took a little time to convince that chain to cut better than when new. I am going to be looking for non- safety for that , if it's even made. It is a good saw for small stuff, light and easy to handle. Don't try to use it on big stuff on a regular basis and don't push it, let it cut. Biggest complaint I have is the air filter. This is definately not a Husky set-up. From the looks of the air filter at the end of the day , I think its main purpose is to vacuum the forest floor clean.

SawTroll said:

I bought a 141 last year. I couldn't keep the thing running. When I did the saw cut fine but it put me in mind of a Poulan. I will say that I bought the saw slightly used but it was in excellent shape. Never could get it to run right tho'. I hever never used the Stihl mentioned above so I couldn't give any advice on it.

Hmmm... ECHO 346 : Top handled "one hand" saw for general non-pro use? I wouldn't. Someone will get hurt. Get the MS180 or similar.

Ombesb said:
... is the .043 narrow kerf chain. I also took a little time to convince that chain to cut better than when new. I am going to be looking for non- safety for that , if it's even made. .....
The last time I looked neither Stihl nor Oregon offered it.

I haven't looked into Carlton...

Last edited:
AJLOGGER said:
I bought a 141 last year. .... it put me in mind of a Poulan. ....
Well, they are put together by Poulan, but Husky reps have said that they are designed in Sweden, but "adapted to Poulans way of doing things" - some parts are also reported to be made in Sweden.

Usually, they work quite well whatever the truth is - something has not been right with yours.

The MS180 is a toy in comparison. :help:

Last edited:
Since I am firewood only, I was once prompted to pick up a top handle saw because of the light weight, examined it fully and carefully for about 3 1/2 seconds and knew that was a way to get hurt just making firewood.

I would say that the 346 is the perfect saw for trimming and light firewood cutting. It comes with a standard 3/8 LP bar (not Intenz) and muffler mod is easy. I use mine for the majority of my cutting. I have several larger saws, but usually don't even think about touching them until I get into something larger than 12". It is a great little saw and you can run it all day without feeling like you are really working. The 346 does have a noticeable power advantage over the 305/306 and no greater weight. In my opinion, definately worth the small price difference. If the work that you do with the saw is your bread and butter, go bigger/faster. If it is for hobby/fun/personal firewood, etc., the little Echos are a joy to run and you'll have no regrets. Just my $.02

Ombesb said:
Since I am firewood only, I was once prompted to pick up a top handle saw because of the light weight, examined it fully and carefully for about 3 1/2 seconds and knew that was a way to get hurt just making firewood.

Thats right, stay a looooong way away from them, unless you are a climber, they are an accident waiting to happen for ground work.:cry:

Latest posts

Back