Something for you guys...Husqvarna's competition saw, the COBRA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This reminds me of the tuned 75cc 372xps that Baileys sold some years ago. Those really were tuned rescue saws, that was fitted with "normal" cutting attachments etc.

Huskys most official competition saw changed from the 372 to the 576 a couple of years ago, that probably is the reason they do no longer dominate the WLC like they used to.......:D

But still....it's either Jonsered or Husqvarna that usually wins right?

I really doubt that he just modded the saw himself and put a cobra decal on it. You have to know that things like chainsaw modding are very uncommon here, it is something that people don't really understand why you would do it. I know nobody who has modded his saw in any way. They'd say what the hell you might need it for, and that you should just get a bigger saw.
I don't think the reduced weight is due to the tech lite bar, the weight of the saw is always without bar as far as I know. There comes a normal 20" bar with it, if you buy it.
I don't know any part number of the decals, maybe you'd have to write to husqvarna directly and ask them about the saw and if it's real.
The guy said that he went to a competition(or exhibition, I'm not sure) and saw this saw he'd never seen before. He talked to the husqvarna guys and told them that he wants this exact saw in his shop. That's all I know.
Unfortunately I live 200+km away from where the shop is, and I don't know when I will be getting there the next time, but if I do, I will take a picture of the plate for you. I only have these pictures of the saw, they are from the website.
This is the site, it is in german, so I don't know how much of it you will be able to read, but I'll post it anyway.

Baldauf-Landtechnik » Husqvarna

If you look closely at the first pic, above the saw is a advertisement in lamination. I cant make out what is says other than 372xp cobra. The rest is in another language. Might give some more clues if some one can translate.

Finally... a saw for the tough guy cops from the 90's.

Cobra+1986+Sylvester+Stallone+1.jpg

Gary

On the lower part of the add it just says that the saw doesn't meet EU emission and noise level standards and that it should always be run with preotection gear. Maybe I can ask the guy to send me more pictures of the add, and the plate.

At first I gave it the benefit of the doubt, but after looking at those pics closely and the seemingly impossible story, I don't think this is anything more than a dealer making his own saws and lying about it to his customers.

I thought the Cobra badges looked like raised lettering like on the XP top covers, but I'm almost positive they're just stickers.

Bummer.

On the lower part of the add it just says that the saw doesn't meet EU emission and noise level standards and that it should always be run with preotection gear. Maybe I can ask the guy to send me more pictures of the add, and the plate.

Yes, a warning about those issues is what I can figure out.

The plate (number tag) looks relatively normal for a newer Husky to me, but it still would be interesting to see it! :smile2:

6 kg (unlike 6.0) can be anything from 5.50 to 6.49 kg, and doesn't really tell about any weight reduction.

Just a 372XPW without the wrap handle and a techlite bar, specs are specs like statistitcs mean next to nothing. My german is terrible but I will have my wife translate when i get back home, but as I can figure out, its stated on the dealers site that it is....

Die XP-Modelle von Husqvarna sind absolute Profi-Sägen, die Dank der XP-Zylinder mit noch höherer Drehzahl gefahren werden können als herkömmliche Motorsägen und eine immense Beschleunigung aufweisen. Hohe Drehzahl – extreme Beschleunigung – weniger Gewicht -
Der Profi weiß warum !

The XP models of Husqvarna saws are absolute professionals, which can be operated thanks to the XP-cylinder with even greater speed than conventional saws and have a tremendous acceleration. High speed - drastically reduced - less weight -
The professional knows why!

Most likely a dealer mod, but a product number will tell all................

Cool story!

Pretty interesting!

As an aside..I worked for a long time in the tradeshow industry, every product you can imagine, from stuff that had to be hauled on railcars, to try a small handful of diamonds in a shoebox worth over three million..seen it all. Incidentally, that's how they move rocks, blatantly casual, using decoy couriers that move not much at all, fancy paste. The real stuff is so casual no one would notice it, along with the courier...

I have seen a LOT of stuff that was made just as limited production run prototypes, stuff that joe blow dealer might never see or even hear about, because he has no need to know. Some things are only shown inside of conference rooms to select dealers or regional distributors, most of the people at the show won't see it..well, we peon invisible to the fatcats workers got to see those things..all the time, because we unpacked and set it up, whatever "it" was. They just ignored us for the most part, like we didn't exist, just go ahead and be blabbing about all their secret stuff right in front of us like maybe it was "too technical" for us to understand or something...rather humorous actually...

Some of those products are only made for limited restricted sales, so normal dealers wouldn't even hear about them. Try this, how about a modern single piston engine driven bonafide, fighter plane? Not a ww2 used one or a reproduction, but a modern designed one? Your local cessna and beechcraft dealer won't see them, and doesn't have any for sale, but I can guarantee you they exist, I helped roll one off a semi and bolt it together.

In the nerd world, there are a lot of cellphones and computers that never make it out of asia, you won't see them at all in europe or the north america markets. Stuff that is years ahead of what europeans or americans can buy. In fact I would say we hardly ever see bleeding edge tech inside the USA when it comes to electronics, not at normal channels type retail you won't, it is most always at least two to three years behind what is already in production and being sold in asia. Some stuff, yes, most electronics..nope.

So, I give it "in the realms of possibility" at least there is some limited production run of custom high performance saws. If you think about, why not?? Maybe the dealer did it, maybe some distributor or husky themselves, who knows..all I do know is stuff like this is way common in just about all other types of products.

Geoff, thanks for finding that! Rep sent.

The site, unfortunately, doesn't seem to shed any light on the origins of the Cobra. Is it, or isn't it, an official Husqvarna modded saw?

Sorry. Maybe I should have posted a translation at the same time.
geoff.

:monkey:

Back