"Sometimes a Great Notion"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I read the book in 1981 my dad was cutting a large contract of pulp wood. I couldn't believe my high school english teacher assigned a book that was exactly like my life after school and every weekend. I just reread it again, though, and it is a good book. I haven't seen the movie, but it sounds like there are some different scenes. Ken Kesey spent a season with a logging crew trying to get the feel for the work and their language. I definitely think he brings to life the type of person that runs a logging outfit.

Love the movie reminds me of my grand dad and his gypo outfit. I am the right age for nostalgia purposes. Still have my grand dads super 33 would like to find info on restoration.

Check out www. chainsawcollectors.se

Just about anything you wanna know about restorin' old chain saws.

I lived in Orygun 1970-1972. Knew Kesey. He grew up in Orygun. Went to Stanford. First book was "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". Movie with Jack Nicholson. Won lots of Academy Awards. Kesey's second book "Notion" is the one you guys have been talking about. Movie won a lot of Academy Awards, also. IMO the ONE book and movie about American logging. It's an American Classic... both the book and the movie. Hard to believe there are grown adults now in America who don't know the book and movie...

I read the book when it first came out. Great book, although as I recall the first 60 pages or so took some getting used to.

Can't really remember it, but in my mind there was a part where the old guy said something like "good old days be damned. I say get in there with a machine and rip it up."

Maybe I made that up, though. Still, it was a great book.

great notion

Newman was polite about the local blitz beer. Still preferred Coors, which back then was illegal in some states because it was only cold filtered.

Newman broke his wrist running a saw during the movie.

I recall either Newman or Fonda talking very favorably about the movie. Thought it should have got a lot more credit than it did.

Amazon has a ton of reviews on the book. Rates out at 4.5 stars. Well thought of by most readers.

Either a tree spinning, (perhaps off side holding wood cut-dutchman-causing the spin.) barber chair or bucking a log in water for a raft are all very realistic ways that loggers have died. Can't remember how realistic those scenes were shot.

It's out on dvd, see my post above for link and loan info.
Cheers dude ,Ive kept that link for when i get some more money on the credit card,just got the book this morn off amazon that will keep me busy for a while.Dont think you wanna lend it as im in the uk..for the price of shipping i could buy it!

Does any one know if newman did his stunts mainly the fir tree spiking and topping..??

Netflix doesn't have it as a DVD. My wife found a single copy in the country library system, but there are 15 holds before us. Must be popular or 15 of you guys live in this area.

She said she read that Paul Newman broke his foot in a motorcycle scene and shooting stopped for a couple of weeks.

Yah... broke his ankle.

Movie: Sometimes a Great Notion, AKA: Never Give an Inch.

Direction of the film started with Richard A. Colla. Production was halted after 5 weeks to allow Paul Newman to recover from a broken ankle. When film production (shooting) re-started, Richard Colla had quit due to disagreements with Henry Fonda. Paul Newman then took over as film director. Newman was already co-producing the film with John Foreman (his brother Art Newman who was the film's business manager).

As for the question about Paul Newman doing his own tree cutting and topping? Never happened. Good Hollywood editing for those scenes. The logger who did the actual topping of the spar tree was Wayne Bryant. To make it look like Newman did the topping, they found a small hemlock along a logging road and built a platform around the base. Then they notch cut the tree and started the back cut and left a saw stuck in the back cut. Then Paul Newman climbed up the tree with his spurs a few feet above the platform and held the handle of the saw for the close-up shots. The wide angle and pan shots of him sitting on top of that topped tree was really Wayne Bryant.

Hank Stamper on being a logger: "It's one dirty, tough, miserable way to live ... It's about as dangerous a way to make your bacon as you can find."

Video For Sharing

Anxiously awaiting the video to get here :D

Let me know if one of you guys would like it when I'm done.

Thanks again Rob

Video for Sharing

First post who wants it gets it next.

What a great movie! Couldn't have found a better way to end it!

Thanks again Rob.

I'd like to see it if it makes it out here to the East coast one of these days...I loved the book, it'd be neat to see the movie.
Jeff

Dug up some more info on the film...

Was reading an article about Paul Newman and it said that HBO showed Sometimes a Great Notion as its first film on the air. Or rather, on cable, in 1972. Also found a few copies on Ebay and stuff, but they are EXPENSIVE. $30+ for VHS in very used condition. It is still not out of DVD. Dunno why. Maybe they do not have the masters any more, or there are issues with rights. Good film though. :cheers:

Fine Taste in Movies

I'm glad you enjoyed it, I watched it quite a few tmes.

If I can find my other copy, I'll start it also.

"It ain't a new truck, but it sure made me feel better."

Now I got to get and restore a saw from the two part desk scene!!!

ROB

Thats it!

The desk scene is one of the reasons that made me search long and hard for my SP125. The image of that McCulloch with that west coast bar going through that dek is great1

I remember seeing that movie when I was a kid and could never remember the name of it, I'll have to see if I can find a copy of it - I'd like to watch it again. Matt

Yah...

Yah, there are several scenes in that movie that are memorable. The tree topping/spar sitting scene, the desk cut in half scene, the arm nailed to the barge scene. Very graphic.

Barberchair scene

Anybody know who barberchaired the tree that old man stamper was cutting on? I heard that D Dent was the one who did but want to know if anybody heard otherwise.

We have a barn on our property that Ken Kesey used to party in when this place was called 'Mu Farm' south of Eugene. Basically a hippie commune back then.

Sooooo.... the 'Mu Farm' still exists... in some form... hadn't remembered it for 30-some years until I read your post, windthrown. Are any of the Kesey family still at 'The Farm' at Pleasant Hill? Do you know of a group of tree-thinners and -planters called the 'hoedad's'?? Me and Joe Baker and Big Lew were amongst 'em back in the early 70's... I haven't been back in that country since 1975... Is Hammer Lumber still operating in Eugene?

About "Notion"... all I can say more on it is... Any of you who haven't read the book and seen the movie, ought to, if you've got any interest in the American timber industry...

Latest posts

Back