Sorting chainsaws by bar size ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a kid at school tried to tell me my 066/660 is not the second largest chainsaw stihl makes because it has a 24'' bar. i said "ok let me buy a 48 inch bar and that will make my motor bigger!?!" :givebeer: :cheers: :chainsaw:

one of the efco's is 63.4 cc

I meant the picture they posted of the saw's with the 20" bars the picture was of a wild thing. [ poulon pto ]

I guess they are comparing a wild thing at 42 cc's to a saw with 63.4cc's

I mean they both have 20" bars :dizzy: David

Last edited:
Yeah referring to saws by bar length is one of my pet peeves as well. My former boss thought his Craftsman (don't know the model-some new plastic POS) was bigger than my 955 because I happened to have a 16" bar on mine at the time and his Craftsman had an 18". I just laughed. He realized his error when I fired it up.

"What the heck does bar size tell you about a saw ?"

Didn't your wife ever tell you that bigger is BETTER? Cripe, I hope that's not true because I'd be in trouble!

Seriously, I see folks trying to run WAY too much bar on saws on the time. Even some of the "professional" models that are talked about here in many threads. I see folks talking about running 24" and 28" bars on 60cc saws all the time.

We have several high rpm/high powered 60cc saws. The 268XP is a BEAST, but still best suited to no more than a 20" bar. Sure, it would easly "pull" 28", but it is only OK with it. I'd rather have it be an OUTSTANDING saw with a 20" bar. Same thing with the 262XP, it will easily manage a 24" bar, but is a MONSTER with an 18" bar.

Think of it like this, one on my friends who helps us out on occassion has a 372XP with a 24" bar. We've found ourselves (someone on purpose) cutting on the same log at different ends on more than one occassion.

There isn't an ounce of difference in cutting speed between the 372XP and my 268XPS. I usually get thru quicker than him because I am WAY better at sharpening chains and always keep them in perfect working order.

If I were to install a 24" bar on my 268XPS, he would get thru a 20" log about 5-7 seconds before I would, simply because the 268 is pretty much maxxed out with the longer bar, and it's pretty easy to lug it hard enough that the engine falls out of the good power range. With the shorter bar you can bare down pretty hard and it will just rip right through it.......Cliff

"What the heck does bar size tell you about a saw ?"

Didn't your wife ever tell you that bigger is BETTER? Cripe, I hope that's not true because I'd be in trouble!

Seriously, I see folks trying to run WAY too much bar on saws on the time. Even some of the "professional" models that are talked about here in many threads. I see folks talking about running 24" and 28" bars on 60cc saws all the time.

We have several high rpm/high powered 60cc saws. The 268XP is a BEAST, but still best suited to no more than a 20" bar. Sure, it would easly "pull" 28", but it is only OK with it. I'd rather have it be an OUTSTANDING saw with a 20" bar. Same thing with the 262XP, it will easily manage a 24" bar, but is a MONSTER with an 18" bar.

Think of it like this, one on my friends who helps us out on occassion has a 372XP with a 24" bar. We've found ourselves (someone on purpose) cutting on the same log at different ends on more than one occassion.

There isn't an ounce of difference in cutting speed between the 372XP and my 268XPS. I usually get thru quicker than him because I am WAY better at sharpening chains and always keep them in perfect working order.

If I were to install a 24" bar on my 268XPS, he would get thru a 20" log about 5-7 seconds before I would, simply because the 268 is pretty much maxxed out with the longer bar, and it's pretty easy to lug it hard enough that the engine falls out of the good power range. With the shorter bar you can bare down pretty hard and it will just rip right through it.......Cliff

I think it has a lot to do with what type of wood is being cut, and what the saw is being used for...

An example being my bud's older brother... he came back from SW OR to help look after their ailing mum. He brought with him a ported 036 with a 24" bar... we were like :confused: but as he explained it, he liked the long bar for delimbing... he's like 6'3" or so, and the longer bar helped save his back (walk the felled tree from stump to top, zinging off the limbs with the bar tip = less bending) Bigger trees and them typically being conifers lets a sawyer go bigger with the bars for a given class saw.

I tend to use a 16" most, then a 20" on my 361 (for mostly red oak) If I had to, I'd try a 25" but I'd use skip chain, and not be in any hurry. I'd also swap back to lighter tackle (shorter bar and/or smaller saw) as soon as practical. 25" on pine? not a problem IMHO, but only if I really needed the bar length. I tend to avoid tip-cutting, but I am pretty much a rookie, and would like to grow older/gain experience with all my bits attached...

JMHRO :cheers:

Latest posts

Back