Source for 1/2" pitch chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a .404 sprocket for another saw that could just be drilled out in the center and made to fit the shaft on a Homelite? Hmmm.....

EDIT: I should probably open the saw up and look at it before I run off at the mouth.

Is there a .404 sprocket for another saw that could just be drilled out in the center and made to fit the shaft on a Homelite? Hmmm.....

EDIT: I should probably open the saw up and look at it before I run off at the mouth.

That wouldn't be worth the effort methinks. On the other hand........Baileys and others carry .404 harvester sprockets in all kinds of shaft sizes, tooth counts, and keyway styles. They're kinda pricey, but in line with the cost of a 'custom' rim adapter. It's a simple matter of calling them with the shaft diameter and keyway info. That's "Plan-B" for me. Bill's adapter was "Plan-A". I have a "Plan-C" that I'll reveal after a bit more research if things pan out...

That wouldn't be worth the effort methinks. On the other hand........Baileys and others carry .404 harvester sprockets in all kinds of shaft sizes, tooth counts, and keyway styles. They're kinda pricey, but in line with the cost of a 'custom' rim adapter. It's a simple matter of calling them with the shaft diameter and keyway info. That's "Plan-B" for me. Bill's adapter was "Plan-A". I have a "Plan-C" that I'll reveal after a bit more research if things pan out...
Uncle gets a minimum of 50$ a hour running his machines...

I understand it would cost a fair bit at a machine shop, but I have access to a shop for free. Would it work? Adding it to my to do list....

Some of the rural saw shops may have some 1/2" chain left. I was happy when I got 130 links of nos chain a while back. That did 2 bows. Then more recently I founf 14' of it for 50.00. I'll be using quite a bit of that on other saws, though.

I can make another run of adapters but they are not perfect. They are a modified part. They are not dead to nuts and will need you to file your key.

Bill

I almost lost a marriage to a similar endeavor! LOL!!!

Only need 12 more 090G's to make the situation tolerable, or atleast not a complete waste!!!

I almost lost a marriage to a similar endeavor! LOL!!!

Only need 12 more 090G's to make the situation tolerable, or atleast not a complete waste!!!

I did my part to help you out in reducing inventory. I will do it again if the the right larger piece comes with it.

Bill

I did my part to help you out in reducing inventory. I will do it again if the the right larger piece comes with it.

Bill

Yes you did Bill! (and I appreciate it).
You are the only member that I believe has one!!!!!!

Nitroman: The Chinese will be tickled to make whatever you want. But you have to order 10,000 units. I assume this would be rolls of chain.

The really sweet thing about going to the Chinese is that after you do all the R&D to get a salable product from their crappy manufacturing and unreliable work ethic is that even before you take delivery on the first batch, you'll see them selling product made on your dime for 1/2 of what you have invested in it.

And you can't touch them.

Yes you did Bill! (and I appreciate it).
You are the only member that I believe has one!!!!!!

Matt,

I am sorry to hear that I may be the only member that bought one. That truly shows what I thought for years. There are many members here that say they want a custom part but when push comes to shove they are too much of a wimp to man up and buy the part. That is not teh way I lead my life. If I say I want it then be gosh darn sakes I do and I pay for it PERIOD. That is the way I do business and that is way I raise my boys.

OK off the soap box

Bill

have a source for .404 sprockets to fit 1130
i believe there are two different sizes 8 and 10 tooth
let me know if you want some info

I can make another run of adapters but they are not perfect. They are a modified part. They are not dead to nuts and will need you to file your key.

Bill

I bought one from you Bill, and it is a nice piece. I had to file my keys just a little to make it fit on my 770G. But just when I was gonna run it... a crapload of 1/2" chain (chipper and chisel) fell in my lap. But I still have it in the event I "run out" of 1/2" chain. :)

Gary

Nice to have the ability to run run any chain! Flexibilty is king!

Any one with or know of 25' foot 1/2" chain (.058, 063) I am in need.

I'd gladly buy some of these adapters if I knew they fit the 5-30/5-30N.

The shaft diameter for the adapter Bill made is slightly larger that the 5-30/7-29/8-29/9-series gear drives. I know for a fact the 7-29 and 900G use the same sprockets--I am assuming the 5-30 shares this part with the 7-29 and is not like the 26LCS with the goofy sandwiched gear. In any case, I found .404 8 tooth gears for the 900G in the form of Mac gears.

Maybe Bill can make this adapter with the slightly smaller diameter. I'd buy a couple.

Chris B.

Chris-

That's great to know, thanks for the info. I bought a NOS Mac .404" gear myself so I'll just machine it out to fit the 5-30. Yeah the output shaft on the 5-30 matches the 7-29/8-29.

Latest posts

Back