Source for 1/2" pitch chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since you bumped it what are you needing?????????????

Motivation, intelligence, and beauty....

What he said.

:monkey:
Maybe he bumped this thread for those who hadn't read it, because there's "lots of good info in this thread?"
:monkey:

LMAO :laugh:!

That too. I'd been searching for the Homelite gear drive sprocket info that Chris posted in this thread. When I found it, I thought it'd be a good idea to bump it up. Bill are you any closer to doing another run of those Homelite gear drive saw rim drive adaptors?

I've actually been working on making some .404 spur gears for my 1130G's...Lacking a source of 1/2" chain, I figured this would be my next best(easiest) option. They'd also fit any other Homelite gear drives with a double keyed .625" dia output shaft...

I've actually been working on making some .404 spur gears for my 1130G's...Lacking a source of 1/2" chain, I figured this would be my next best(easiest) option. They'd also fit any other Homelite gear drives with a double keyed .625" dia output shaft...

Let me know how you make out. The spurs appear the easiest but when it all comes down to it they are still a toughy at a reasonable price

.......... Bill are you any closer to doing another run of those Homelite gear drive saw rim drive adaptors?

The big factor is the significant investment it will take to make another run. I guess I need to look at it from the "field of dreams concept"

I'm getting started on restoring an old bow saw and it badly needs a new chain. The only source for 1/2" I've found so far is ebay, $50 for a loop. If that's the going price so be it, but I am hoping to find some a bit cheaper? TIA

I have eight saws that use 1/2" pitch chain. By keeping a weather eye on eBay I have managed to amass about 50-feet of 1/2" chain along with enough links to make any length loop I want. It has taken me two-three years to do this, but if I can, so can you. No I will not part with any because I need what I have. $50 isn't a bad price really considering the cost of new Stihl .404 RS is roughly comparable to me once shipping is included.

There are a lot of old saws sold on ebay that have usable 1/2" chains on them. A guy can buy the saw for a low price and tell the seller to keep the powerhead and just send the chain. You will be surprised at how many chains you can come up with that way

Let me know how you make out. The spurs appear the easiest but when it all comes down to it they are still a toughy at a reasonable price

485fa0a0-b58f-8587.jpg

Getting close to running a couple off... See how they work. Just gotta find time to squeeze them in!

Those are some nice drawings.:msp_smile: What program did you generate them in?? I am still old school here on a old AC version

It looks good:msp_biggrin: I assume you will harden it.

Bill

This one I was mostly just proving out the program. It's made of 303 stainless so it's pretty soft... We have a bunch of it. I figured I'd make one out of it first so I didn't waste my good material.

...I'll still broach this one. Even though it's soft, it should hold up long enough to make a couple cuts. That's all I plan on doing with these old saws anyways.

I didn't realize 1/2 chipper chain was still wanted/valuable. I thought it was just the full chisel that everyone wanted. I have agood bit of new 1/2" stihl chain and 5 or 6 presets left. Good Work on the Sput sprocket. BTW, the Stihl 048 and 042 used a spur very similar to that that design. It's possible that they made them in .404 too.. might be easier to convert them than make them out of scratch.

BTW, the Stihl 048 and 042 used a spur very similar to that that design. It's possible that they made them in .404 too.. might be easier to convert them than make them out of scratch.

The 042/48 is not close to the same design

Back