Source for 1/2" pitch chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The shaft diameter for the adapter Bill made is slightly larger that the 5-30/7-29/8-29/9-series gear drives. I know for a fact the 7-29 and 900G use the same sprockets--I am assuming the 5-30 shares this part with the 7-29 and is not like the 26LCS with the goofy sandwiched gear. In any case, I found .404 8 tooth gears for the 900G in the form of Mac gears.

Maybe Bill can make this adapter with the slightly smaller diameter. I'd buy a couple.

Chris B.

Hiya Chris,

Just trying to get things straight regarding Homelite gear drive saw output shafts. what is the O.D. of the output shafts of the following saws? Do they all use the same width sprocket? Could they use the same basic sprocket or rim drive adapter if it had the propper I.D. to match the output shaft?

1)Super Wiz 77.

2)1100/1130G.

3)3100G.

4)900/909/990/995G.

What modifications need to be done to a McCulloch gear drive sprocket to us them on a Homelite gear drive saw? Thanks for letting me pick your brain. What would need to be done to one of Bill's adapters to run it on a SW77? I have a line on a SW77, and plan to have at lest some of the other saws in the future.

Let me measure my NOS 3100G .404 gear.

#1, #2, #3 are all the same, diameter of .625 double-keyed. Also included in this category are 700/707/770 gear drives.

The 9-series is 1/32" smaller and have a single-keyway. The only modification I had to make to use the Mac gear was to skinny down the larger Homelite key to fit the narrower Mac keyway. Also, the Mac gears are flat-sided but the Homelite gears have lips around the shaft opening. I have had no problems using the Mac gears with the Homelite parts as-is. PM me and I'll tell you where I got the Mac gears.

Got any PM 271 1/2" gears? Mine is fairly wore but it has a goofy lip for the gearcase oil seal so I can't use just anything.

Chris B.

#1, #2, #3 are all the same, diameter of .625 double-keyed. Also included in this category are 700/707/770 gear drives.

The 9-series is 1/32" smaller and have a single-keyway. The only modification I had to make to use the Mac gear was to skinny down the larger Homelite key to fit the narrower Mac keyway. Also, the Mac gears are flat-sided but the Homelite gears have lips around the shaft opening. I have had no problems using the Mac gears with the Homelite parts as-is. PM me and I'll tell you where I got the Mac gears.

Got any PM 271 1/2" gears? Mine is fairly wore but it has a goofy lip for the gearcase oil seal so I can't use just anything.

Chris B.

Thanks Chris for all the info. PM sent...:D

I'm getting started on restoring an old bow saw and it badly needs a new chain. The only source for 1/2" I've found so far is ebay, $50 for a loop. If that's the going price so be it, but I am hoping to find some a bit cheaper? TIA

If it`s 063 gauge your looking for I believe Teddy Scout has some

.404 sprokets available

Hafemeister Machine
p.o. box 1048
Neenah, WI 54957
tel 920-722-3368

they have 8 and 10 tooth
8 tooth drawing #H1228-333 $65.00
10 tooth drawing #H0483-333 $80.00

these fit like a dream tried mine over the weekend was great
these guys are great to work with give them a call

Hafemeister Machine
p.o. box 1048
Neenah, WI 54957
tel 920-722-3368

they have 8 and 10 tooth
8 tooth drawing #H1228-333 $65.00
10 tooth drawing #H0483-333 $80.00

these fit like a dream tried mine over the weekend was great
these guys are great to work with give them a call

These really fit the big homelites?

Last edited:
put mine on an 1130g super
saw isnt here so i cant measure shaft size
but somebody should know the shaft size on here
these sprokets only have one keyway but they assured me no problems
alot of guys are running the 10 tooth round here cause we are cutting ice
thats what i have and it is very close to the diameter of the old 1/2" drive sprocket
i also have an 8 tooth and that one is about 1/4 - 3/8 smaller diameter
more power but slower rpm had a guy tell me to expect about 20% more
rpms with the 10 tooth havent done the math myself
if that is true should be 7200-7800 rpms if i am close

Chris B.

Chris-

I just got a ton of gear-drive sprockets in so I may be able to help with a gear for your PM 271. I am also looking for one for Gmax for his 271 as well. I also scored on some .375 pitch gears with the 19/32" diameter bore and single keyway.

Have to ask!

In rims, did they ever make a 9/16"?

My fingers are crossed!

Have to ask!

In rims, did they ever make a 9/16"?

My fingers are crossed!

Matt-

I'm not sure, but I think Homelite did make a 9/16" rim for their special six-spline clutch drum that came on some of the bigger saws like the 2100. One of the saw shops I worked at years ago had one in the window as a display piece.

I got a pinned rim, and it seems pretty straight forward. Looking at that and also going over a 5/8 gear mock up for another.
Seems the pinned version for the 9/16" is the way to go.
Forced to stick with the 7 spline.

I got a pinned rim, and it seems pretty straight forward. Looking at that and also going over a 5/8 gear mock up for another.
Seems the pinned version for the 9/16" is the way to go.
Forced to stick with the 7 spline.

Well these 9/16" spur gears I'm sending your way are larger, so you'll get a little more chain speed that way.

Well these 9/16" spur gears I'm sending your way are larger, so you'll get a little more chain speed that way.

Thanks JJ
Not looking for speed, just size!
Making up for my own stature! (gained some weight! Up to 139lbs! YA!!!!)

Chris-

I just got a ton of gear-drive sprockets in so I may be able to help with a gear for your PM 271. I am also looking for one for Gmax for his 271 as well. I also scored on some .375 pitch gears with the 19/32" diameter bore and single keyway.

That would be great if you could find one. I was supposed to get a picture of it for someone here and you just reminded me.

Chris B.

sprocket source

I need a loop for my Homelite 1130G as well, and it wears a 36" bar. I haven't a clue where to get a loop. I'd much rather buy an adapter kit to run a .404 rim on it, but Bill G is out of the adapters, and doesn't sound like he's having any more made.

Have you tried Manufactuter's Supply in Medford, WI? I have in the past found them to have old stuff long gone from everyone else's inventory. That is where I found .404 sprockets for my 1050 and 77 Homelites.

Gear Drive sprocket for 1-61

Jacob, you were saying back on the 5th of feb I believe you have lots of gear drive sprockets, got a minor rebuild on a 1-61 going on. calls for a 6 or seven tooth sprocket 1/2 pitch, was looking to down size chain to .404
and maybe a 24 or 28 inch bar.

Do you have any thing that might fit, bore is 5/8 in, single key, 3/16 wide and 3/32 tall. did not use micrometer but shoud be close.

what are these homelite adapters mentioned, is there a pic some where

tks bob morris

Latest posts

Back