Spanish Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, i was jest kidding like Stumper said;
and i apologize for any miss-understanding;

i was trying to quip about how you could tell a bunch of 'anglos' /whatever that should understand not to throw the shovel in the chipper, and one would "have the radio on in his head" and not here you, some do it just to defy........

i've not worked with the spanish speaking as much as some here i guess; mainly just my buddy's crew. Generally, what some one else can't fill in, i get across with laughing energy and animation. Most of these folks i seen, where very eager to learn and please; so much so, some shaming other workers without the language barrier. But, i hear what you're saying, just trying to keep it light (perhaps out of fear for some darkness setting in...)

For this we seemed to have no problem with language:

Originally posted by TheTreeSpyder
i'd shimmy the prussik up the main line for the 5x1 that led to 3x1, set it and grab the pull line of the jig and would bounce all my weight on it. Along with this massive impaccting propulsion to the ground; i would be screaming at these 2 guys that spoke even less english than i. So i would be screaming "Pull the crazy lil'white boy down, Pull the crazy lil'white boy down"! Somehow with all the energy and everything, they where able to understand that! Hence the 135 x 15 = ~1Ton of pulling force example(+ these guy's pull x 15!)...... Tell JP i finally found a 2 year olde with a waist smaller than my thighs, but she hits real hard!

Ramas, ranas, whatever...

Blaster, just the thought of you chatting with the amigos brings me a satisfying smile of approval.

Hey,, has anyone read the Spanish version of The Tree Climber's Companion? I would think that to be an incredible resource for Latinos wanting to ingrain in this industry, beyond just being a groundadero.

I learned my Spanish living in Costa Rica for a year. I moved down there to learn Spanish (a New Year's resolution I actually followed through with). Unfortunately, I never took a formal course. I just sort of learned it on the street. Bummer, because I never got the mechanics of the language, like a thorough knowledge in conjugation.

One thing I did learn well is pronounciation. When I speak, it really sounds like I know the language, but I don't. I can't express clear ideas, or paint verbal pictures. I can converse, but not very deep. And I speak a lot better than I understand. Much of the problem is, in the 12 years since I lived in Latin America, no one with whom to practice..... No hay ninguin para practicar.

For instance, "Ponga las ramas cerca de la trituradora" where rama is frog, and rana is limb. "Put the frogs over by the chipper". They get a kick out of me. -TM-

Spidey, I love your stuff.

NO no, Tm rana is frog. Rama is limb. I sympathize with you- lack of practice over the past eighteen years has wreaked havoc with my Spanish. I had the benefit of extensive training in grammar as well as working immersed in the language for 2 full years. I used to dream in Spanish and interpret for public speakers on the fly. Now I find myself thinking -Uh.. what is the right word...er is that masculine or feminine gender. That mixing up of words can be fun. I know a guy who preached for most of an hour about how Jesus came to save the arveja perdida. He meant oveja. Most people can understand Jesus coming to save the lost sheep in light of his parable about the good shepherd. Coming to save the lost green pea seems a bit odd doctrinally.:p

Oye, huevon !

My wife, when asking how much something costs (cuanto cuesta), said "Cuanto Queso?' - how much cheese? There are often times when you should not laugh out loud at your spouse. This was one of those times.

Once in Orlando, we stopped by a roadside fruit stand. They had my favorite fruit, but I didn't know how to term it in Spanish, so I asked the Latin lady, "Como se dice esta fruta en espanol?' (how do you say this fruit in Spanish?) She replied, "We call em cherries".

Hey the ISA has a reference book, Guia de consulta rapida de terminos de Arborcultura - Quick reference guide of arborcultural terms. Another really good reference book, I'll bet. -TM-

Yeah, I also knew an American lady who asked the butcher for a 'kilo de ternura'(kilogram of tenderness) instead of a kilo de ternero.(kilogram of veal) (He smiled rather expansively!)

Oh, and the cherries are ciruelas in Argentina and cerezas in most other places.

To chew one's cud

ando is a spanish suffix equal to our ing ending.

Ruminando = ruminating.

Could I ask, what the heck, exactly, are we talking about here? All this ruminating, and cud chewing..... I mean, I'm a farm kid and I'm familiar with the gastric anatomy of sheep and deer and cattle, etc., but I'm not familiar with the social reference. Pardon my ignorance, but enlighten me. I'm a fan of colloquial phrases. -TM-

When I was in High School back in NY, we had a week where we attended cl???es other than what we were currently taking. I attended a Spanish cl??? where the teacher asked us to give her a word and she would translate it into Spanish. After a few kids asked for everyday words, I raised my hand and asked her to conjugate the verb ganarse (to win) in the first person conditional tense. If this question didn't raise a few eyebrows around the room, her answer certainly did. She promptly replied, "Se ganaria". The cl??? went nuts and I visited la officina del principal once again.

What a g??? !

But did you p??? the cl???? Did the principal har??? you? Flunking a cl??? is a h???le. That's a cl???ic story. I laughed m???ively. Thanks for p???ing it on to us. -TM-

Clever. We should have a thread where we list words that have "???" imbedded in them. Maybe we should also have people here list their IQ's so we could compare the average to the Chainsaw forum. Over there, I think many have brains in their ???es.

If this forum was Spanish, "culo" would be "????".

TM , You are doing something instinctively that often works but in this case does not. You are trying to transliterate the English word ruminate into Spanish as Ruminar. No dice. The word is rumiar. Therefore the gerund would be rumiando.

The secondary meaning in both languages is: to contemplate, to reflect thoughtfully.

Just for fun, some english to make people say "huh?". Sesquipedalian terminology obfuscates the rumination.

Well, i'm not up to full english sentences sometimes, let alone trying to learn spanish this way.

Especially early in the morning, my vocabulary needs might be somewhat limited like such monosylabic utterances as:

Clear
Come
Ladder
Pull
Rake

Rope
Saw
Tree
Truck
Wrap

Can ya help me learn just the lil'things at first?

Back