Spanish Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clear-depends on your intent-claro (clah-row) is the direct equivalent
Come- ven
Ladder-escalera(ess cah lair ah)
Pull- tira (tee rah)
Rake- rastrillo (rast ree yo)

Rope-soga (sow gah)
Saw-sierra (see air rah) or serrucho (sair rue cho)
Tree-arbol (R bowl)
Truck- camion (cah me own)
Wrap-vuelta (Vwell tah)

:angel:

pdo-noon-see-ahh-see-own

Culo, also known as tracero. And yes, rumiando, not ruminando. Sorry, I got all obfuscated on that.

Any feedback on Cud chewing, rumination? I remember seeing that in another thread. Not sure if its an AS thing (not an AS$ thing:p ) or if it just sort of p???ed me by on the highway of life.

Pronounciation: I pride myself in this (or am I about to chew my own cud over it?), and I hear Americans absolutely slaughter the Spanish language with poor pronounciation because they carry English habits. It's not English. Some respect for the language, I think, starts with proper pronounciation. The first place to start is with the vowels. I'm not addressing my amigos here who know the language. This is for those interested in learning more.

Most words contain an 'a', an 'e', an 'i', an 'o', or a 'u', or a number of those. Phonetically, each of these is pronounced one single way, and it never changes.

This is one of the things that makes Spanish an easier language to learn than English. If you do nothing more than pronounce the 5 vowels correctly, you will pronounce 90% of the words correctly

I also found that the Hawaiian dialect follows these same rules regarding vowel pronounciation.

'a' is pronounced 'ahh', as in stop
'e' is pronounced like a long (english) a, as in hey
'i' is pronounced like a long e, as in tree
'o' is always pronounced like a flat-out o, like no
'u' is like a long u, as in you

Try this. Instead of thinking of these letters as they are in our alphabet, let's stick an 'h' in front of each vowel, and they would sound like this:
Ha
Hey
Hee
Ho
Hoo
Now drop the 'h' and repeat them.

Wasn't that easy? When you read a Spanish word, focus on pronouncing the vowels correctly. Uh-mee-go would become Ah-mee-go. Mild difference, but in Spanish, 'a' is always pronounced Ahh. Always. I'm done chewing my cud. -TM-

TreeMachine,

don't worry, you're not missing any joke about rumination, except for the fact that its kind of a silly username. I came up with it when I was first trying to come up with a hotmail username about six years ago. Everything I entered was already used by someone else and I didn't like the idea of my name followed by a bunch of numbers. So I got out the dictionary opened it up and poked my finger and rumination was the first word I hit. my buddy said it was appropriate (guess I can be a slow ponderous thinker sometimes) but all i cared was that hotmail accepted it. been using it as my handle online since then.

of course, there may be a joke here that I'm missing too!

how about two ???es in one word: s???afr???

I like the name. You are unique. It's better than 'eructation of cellulose matter from the first comparment of a cow's digestive tract'. I'm not sure that woulda flown with hotmail. -TM-

'eructation of cellulose matter from the first comparment of a cow's digestive tract'

say that one in espanol!

:D

Actually translating the techno definition of rumination Isn't terribly difficult-nice latin roots to most of the words.

'eructation of cellulose matter from the first comparment of a cow's digestive tract'

-eructacion de materia celulosa desde el primer compartimiento del sistema digestivo de una vaca.

That reminds me of when I was working with a large multi college (Christian colleges) choir. They were performing (in Spanish) in Argentina. Singers and others with the group were 60 or so. 2/3 English speakers 1/3 Spanish speakers and perhaps a dozen were bilingual. Consequently it was necessary to translate everything. I was acting as interpreter for the group leader while he went over plans and guidelines on the first day 'in country'. We were moving right along when he says that "there are to be no public displays of heterosexual interdigitation" I was on a roll and translated precisely what he had said but then I turned and stopped him and asked "What on earth are you talking about." He asked "Didn't you just translate that?" I said "Yeah, but I haven't got a clue what we were talking about"-The group was cracking up...Somewhere in there it finallly clicked.:rolleyes:

Interdigitation.....

Interdigitation.....:D
There'll be no boy-girl hand holding outside. That's pretty funny.

Working with a Latin guy last Summer, I was about to head up to do a takedown. I put on my spurs. I heard him say, "Senor zapatos del gallo." I laughed out loud. He followed with "Como se dice en ingles?" I sez, "Mr. Chicken Shoes."

Now whenever I see him, I always get the "Hey, Misser Chicken Chews."

Sometimes, if I'm not addressed as Tree Machine, or Treeguy, someone might actually use my given birthname -Jimmy. However, in Spanish the letter 'J' is pronounced as an English 'H', making my name, effectively, 'Himmy', except that a Spanish 'H' is silent, thus, my name most often becomes "Yimmy".

Is anyone interested in how to pronounce the other letters of the Spanish alphabet now that we've got the vowels, and the letters 'J' and 'H' out of the way? Most of the rest are as they sound in English, with a few noteworthy exceptions. Also, the Spanish alphabet has 3 additional letters more than our alphabet- or is it 4?

Before we dive into the alphabet, let's see how Stumper's translation sounds:

-eructacion de materia celulosa desde el primer compartimiento del sistema digestivo de una vaca.
aydook-ta-see-own
day
mah-tay-dee-all
sale-oo-low-sah
days-day
ale
pde-mare
com(b)-part-ee-me-ain't-oh
dale
seest-aim-ah
dee-jaist-ee-vo
day
oona
baca

vaca (cow) pronounced baca because 'v' is pronounced like a light 'b', as in the most important Spanish word of all, cerveza, which correctly pronounced is 'ser(d)-bay-zah. -TM-

Only 3 extra letters in Spanish and two of those are just combinations on consanants that are treated as distinct letters. -ch-called che(chay)
ll -called elle (el-yay)
the other additional letter is n with a tilde over it~ it is pronounced enye (in-yay) there is a code to make it appear off the computer keyboard but I don't remember it and don't have time to look it up.:rolleyes:

Pronounciation

Yep. The fourth one, that I though might be another letter was the double-r because of it's lingual distinctiveness. I suppose it's just two single 'r's. Thanks for the clarification.

As for the tilde over the n, that would be most helpful, since there is both an 'n' AND an `~n', one pronounced just like the English 'n', and the 'ny', as in canyon. Not being able to tilde the 'n' could give the written effect that 'Mister' (senor) would be pronounced say-nore when we all know it to be sayn-yore. -TM-

Clear If by "Clear!," you mean "Headache!" then you could use "cuidado" pronounced "kwee dawdoh." It means "careful!"

Come I use "Venga" (bain gah) which I think is in the more formal/respectful "Usted" form. It is helpful to know that in many spanish-speaking cultures, the gesture for this command is to cup the hand down and sweep it towards yourself (like digging a small hole with your finger tips) , where as in America, we tend to point our fingers up and make a similar motion. This is one where you might want to watch what your coworkers do. Either way, the motion combined with your attempted pronunciation should be more than enough to get the point across.

Ladder Escalera (ess cah lair ah)

Pull It has been my experience that "tira" means to throw. I prefer the word "hale" (hah lay). If you are pulling a tree down and you want them to pull hard, you could say "hale duro" (hah lay doo row).

Rake I have no idea. Every Spanish guy I've worked with knew what the english word meant.

Rope I use "grieta" (gree ate ah) right now because that is what the guys at work use. As has already been mentioned, and has just been confirmed by the 4.0 Spanish Major (with Honors, Phi Beta Kappa, Summa cum Laude) girlfriend sitting on my lap tells me, grieta can also mean fracture or crack. In the past, I've used "linea" (lee nay ah). Don't use "ropa." That means "clothes." You could imagine the laughs if you were to say "Hale mi ropa."

Saw "moto sierra" (moato see air ah, like the Sierra Madre Mountains) Specifically, this means "chainsaw."

Tree Arbol. (ar bowl) An "arbolero" (ar bowl arrow) is someone who works on trees. A little tree is "arbolito" (-ee toe)

Truck I've heard "troca" (troh cah), "camion" (cah mee own), and "camioneta" (cah mee ownetta). I think camioneta is specifically a pickup truck.

Wrap You would tell them "vuelta" (vwel tah) to refer to wraps around a portawrap (or a tree if you, for some reason, are not using a porty). If you want more wraps, say "mas," as we've stated before. "Menos" (may noce) means less.

Those were good ones, TreeSpyder. And no one is allowed to argue with any of these because Karina said they were right!:D

love
nick

Latest posts

Back