spark, gas, compression, but still won't start, what next??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would pull the spark plugs out and pull them over a bunch then let them sit upside down overnight to make sure any fuel is gone from the engine. When you get to them again throw a splash of mix fuel down the carb and try to start them.

I apologize, but a saw that will not even "hit", the problem area can be isolated in just a few minutes, this is not rocket science........

I did not say that the total problem could be layed out, but at least it could be isolated into one of the 3 areas quickly. But this thread has
been going in the other direction since post #1, because the O.P. won't do the proper steps.......
Hi Fish,
Just wanted to say thanks. My Poulan 2050 after 15 years service finally started running poorly. For 4 years this saw was used everyday to cut firewood. Burnt 3/4 tank each day. Then used weekends in winter only. As it was running poorly I rebuilt the carb and it needed the mixture a lot richer to run than original settings.
So drained the fuel tank and gave it new fuel. Then it wouldn't start. Gave it a new plug first one in 15 years. New primer bulb as it seemed reluctant to prime. Wouldn't start. Put fuel in the carb throat, wouldn't start or fire even. Plug was wet. Read this thread. Saw your advice. Plug out, saw upside down and pulled starter loads of fuel poured out. Reset carb to original normal settings. Started it up adjusted carb a little to get a good cold and hot start. It runs like new again.
The fault was probably the plug but rebuilding the carb did not hurt. Running it rich with the old plug then adding fuel manually flooded the poor little thing. Your advice saved me a lot of time and frustration.

I just went through this with a so called running hus 350 I purchased. I pulled the cylinder to change the plastic clamp to the clip clamp, carb manifold on cylinder, impulse line, gas hose, fuel filter, new base gasket. She fired right up after adding fresh gas. The saw is all orginal.

Btw, the plastic clamp, the boot was loose on the cylinder, impulse line was dry rotted, cracked, I replaced the fuel filter and hose figuring down the road it would bite me anyway.

Latest posts

Back