spark plugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working on putting E3 in everything . A bigger spark is were it going . The old points systems were about 20000 volts . I think were more than double that now.

I believe iv accepted all opinions and not tried to turn anyone to e3 plugs. Like I said iv had problems with just about all brands.and as far as yalls opinions I welcome them. I just don't get running down a product because you've seen ONE fail or HEARD of a handful failing:rare2:

I have worked on small engines for 25 or so years for a living, and spark plug failures are EXTREMELY rare, so they tend to stay in your mind. I think that Champion has such a bad rep is because their use has far outnumbered every brand in the past, thus what failures they have had seem to be more frequent, just because they have been so widely used. I had a bad year or two with Bosch around 2000-2002, when I noticed customers at the Stihl dealership were
buying 4-5 plugs at a time for their saw, so I would ask why. They kept fouling out, so I switched them to Champion, and the problem went away. The Bosch at that time were made in Pakistan.
Over the same stretch of time, I have seen many problems related to the E3 plugs, that is all. So in proportion
to all equipment with all kinds of plugs, their failure rate is pretty high.

Nothing personal..... Just business......

Maybe they are finally working out all of their flaws, but I won't gamble with other folks equipment, nor mine.....
Loose chunks of porcelain are rough on engines....

No more E3 Plugs for me. I thought they were awesome when I first started running them but they fade fast after about a year. The nickle burns off the Lateral Electrode and no amount of cleaning will bring them back to life. And I can buy 2 Bosch WSR6F plugs for less than 1 E3. I noticed no fuel savings by useing them but my saws started faster on the E3 plugs. But when they go bad they go instantly. Not worth the extra price for a plug that last no longer than a standard plug. I've since changed to them out for Bosch Plugs.

Big NGK fan here. I was a marine mechanic for a couple of years while in college and we had lots of problems with Champions on marine 2 strokes. Sometimes those cross references are just not up to snuff.

When Splitfire came out we ran those in our snowmobiles and then went back to regular plugs, which worked just as well.

As far as plugs of any brand that just quit without any visible trauma, I can probably count those on one hand.

After 15 years of Saw servicing for a commercial set up & I guess using most if not all brands of spark plug known, to man the only brand that we have never had a problem/failure with has been Denso

Which plug model number do you like for saws?

I had a e3 in a Bolens trimmer that I hopped up. I ran that plug for two years and beat the devil out of it and never had any trouble out of the trimmer or the plug. Saying that, I use Denso plugs in everything. To me, the quality is a step above NGK. And NGK is a great plug. I order all of mine from sparkplugs.com. Where applicable, I use the iridium.

Back