Spark Plugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxeye

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I guess the perosnal choice is as varied as the brands of saws out there.

Years ago we sold lawn equipment and snowmobiles. Back then all engines on sleds were european made and all came with BOsch plugs..........Soon we discovered Nipondenso and then NGK.......Started to use NGK in everything, but we were told that in general use BOsch in the European made machines and equipment and NGK in Jap made items........for no particular reason. ANymore I always try and find NGK for whatever it is I am in need of a spark plug for and to be honest I htink the NGK running ina Stihl or Husky or even a B & S powered log splitter or lawn mower works and lasts better than a BOsch or champion does. I lost a lot of faith in champions and their so called gold palladium over priced plugs that were always loosing the center electrodes........Bosch have never seemed to last as long as NGK either......So whats everyones preference.....surely we do not all use a "____" plug just because "_________" says so, if there is a comparable "other" brand to use.......I even run NGK in my GMC 350. Used to run em in my F250 Ford as well. I pretty well run NGK's in every internal combustion engine I have if they make a plug for it.

i like BOsch plugs for my saws WSR6f and WSR7F.
i think the WSR7F is a bit hotter.

I cannot speak for the plugs in saws, but the NGK Iridium plugs for my snowgo's are amazing. I have a set in my '07 Arctic Cat Bearcat and put 2386 miles this season on them. The electrode looks shiny and new, and has the same gap as when I installed them. I only use the iridium plugs if I can find them for my application.

It is about time for a lively spark plug thread.

Back in 2001, when I was at a Stihl dealership, Bosch had a bad run of plugs from Pakistan, customers were trying to buy 5-6 of them at a time, because they kept fouling out. I switched them to champions, and my plug sales
dropped way down.
From a business standpoint, the owner would have preferred I stuck
with Bosch, but me and owners rarely agree on anything. So I stick with
Champion to this day. Just the regular plug, not the fancy ones.

Last edited:
I cannot speak for the plugs in saws, but the NGK Iridium plugs for my snowgo's are amazing. I have a set in my '07 Arctic Cat Bearcat and put 2386 miles this season on them. The electrode looks shiny and new, and has the same gap as when I installed them. I only use the iridium plugs if I can find them for my application.

Without being critical of your assessment, I really wouldn't be amazed by spark plugs that last one season and run 2386 miles-even in a snowmobile. When was the last time you were amazed that the $0.99 plugs in your car or truck went 3 or 4 or 5 years and 50,000 miles without even the slightest blip?

i like BOsch plugs for my saws WSR6f and WSR7F.
i think the WSR7F is a bit hotter.

I have heard so many different opinoins on whether to use the WSR6F or WS7F I no longer have a clear idea of the difference. I think it was Madsens that used to say it didn't matter.

Seems like if it didn't matter then the manufacturors would not specify a particular one. Anyone care to add their opinion on which plug to use in which Stihl or Husky?

Here's what woodlandint says:

Use model WS7F spark plug for all Husky saws and all Stihl® saws up to 046. Use model WSR6F spark plug for 064, 066 and 084 Stihl® chain saws.

I think my 3120 OM lists a Champion RCJ 7 Y

Last edited:
Interesting...the NGK site lists the same plug for the 028 and the 066, but says gap the 028 plug at .020", and the 066 plug at .030".

I haven't had any problems with Champion, NGK or Bosch. Wonder if these plugs are any good?
attachment.php

Champion sales man talked us into handling Champion plugs back then. They pushed the Silver Palladium plugs as being the best ever......bar none. We loaded up with a fair amount of them and they turned out to be one high dollar dissapointment overall. It was not uncommon to get a sled or other piece of powered equipment in that refused to start, pull the plug and find the center electrode GONE.....I mean missing in action ...totally gone..Very very common for these plugs back then. The thing that always amazed me about the champions is they seem to be then as well as now the plug / ignitor of the aviation industry.........yet they could not make a decent plug that lasted or did not foul out quickly.

Right now I have an autolite in my 028 and its been doing just fine.......I take it other than perhaps Shindawa and maybe Echo Bosch plugfs seem to be the standard since most saws are European made or designed so it stands to reason Bosch is used primarily. I guess the only plug that champion ever made that I can give them good points for is the infallable Champion J-8. Other than the J8 I just refuse to buy any Champions.

I have heard so many different opinoins on whether to use the WSR6F or WS7F I no longer have a clear idea of the difference. I think it was Madsens that used to say it didn't matter.

Seems like if it didn't matter then the manufacturors would not specify a particular one. Anyone care to add their opinion on which plug to use in which Stihl or Husky?

Use model WS7F spark plug for all Husky saws and all Stihl® saws up to 046. Use model WSR6F spark plug for 064, 066 and 084 Stihl® chain saws.

If memory serves me right from the various tech mech classes and schools I attended over the years you can usually go up or down one heat range in most cases and not hurt a thing as long as reach and type is no different. Too hot of a plug can make for a hole in the piston and too cold leads to fouled plug. I know at one time the manuf of the engines in the sleds we sold recomended one heat range for towing and work sleds and another heat range for wipe open throttle operations. It was not uncommon for some folks to carry two or three heat ranges of spark plugs.

If you take their advice

You will pop electronic ignitions.......the new electronic ignitions DEMAND resistor plugs

Or was that a misprint and it meant WSR7F?

I'll add this...

Unrelated, but related....sort of.

I changed a full set of spark plugs in a V8 car engine only to find the engine was missing on one cylinder when I finished. Long sorry made short is that a brand new in the box spark plug absolutely failed to fire. I had to put an old one back in to get it to run!

Long since forgot the brand....could have been anything.

You will pop electronic ignitions.......the new electronic ignitions DEMAND resistor plugs

Or was that a misprint and it meant WSR7F?

Here's a copy paste from Baileys:

Use model WS7F spark plug for all Husky saws. Use model WSR6F spark plug for all Stihl and Dolmar chain saws.

Here's another copy paste from the Baileys site.

Husqvarna reccomends the WSR6F for use in their saws.

Last edited:
Good luck mate........

Husky and Jonsered both have used resistor plugs OEM since the 372/2171 era and the coils kind of need it.

Last edited:
I am sorry

That did sound rude......you really need to use resistor plugs with the new ignitions. I don't know if Husky ever pointed it out in service bulletins but Jonsered finally did.....or at least one of the distributors did

Latest posts

Back