Spark Plugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For current production Stihl engines with a 14mm spark plug the recommended plugs are;
Bosch WSR6F 1110 400 7005
NGK BPMR7A 0000 400 7000
Champion cross-over is RCJ6Y
set all at .020”
Older units may use a different part number with a different heat range, so always look it up and verify.

So a question for you: Landscape crew is on the job and the blower won't start. After checking that there is fuel what is the next most likely thing they will check?

Did you answer plug? Correct. So a quick look in the tool box and there is a spare plug. Put it in and see what happens. Unit starts and off they go. 10 minutes later the operator turns the engine off and it keeps running. Idles rough, but keeps running. Slowly the RPM drops off, it pops and kicks, backfires once and stops. Next job no start.

Wonder why?

attachment.php

This is a Bosch plug that crosses over to a Champion J19LM, which is for a B&S engine. In a two-stroke it is too hot, and the resister melted out and then the electrode either falls out and may damage the piston, or just melts away. The tip of the ground electrode is glowing cherry red and keeps the engine running, even with no spark at all coming from the ignition.
So how important is heat range really? When compared on a chart this plug is not really that much hotter, but it is meant to be used in a four-stroke. Look at the Bosch plug in a blister card at the discount store. It has a pic of a blower, mower, saw, and hedger on the cardboard. In real small print at the bottom is the plug number. Joe consumer sees this plug and grabs a handful for everything he owns, he doesn't have a clue about heat range, just like the landscape guys.
So the moral of the story is always verify if the plug is right, especially on an unknown unit you are working on, as well as your own.

None of the bosch plugs I've bought for a while where made in Germany. Where do you find german made plugs, other than in the saw?

Just checked the 10 pack box of Bosch plugs that I bought from Baileys last month. Made in Brazil. Never thought to check, just assumed they were made in either Germany or the US. Maybe China is next for Bosch. Not a pleasant thought-at least for me.

snip
Look at the Bosch plug in a blister card at the discount store. It has a pic of a blower, mower, saw, and hedger on the cardboard. In real small print at the bottom is the plug number. Joe consumer sees this plug and grabs a handful for everything he owns, he doesn't have a clue about heat range, just like the landscape guys.
So the moral of the story is always verify if the plug is right, especially on an unknown unit you are working on, as well as your own.

I seen this happen just yesterday. The wife and I were at the local BX (Base Exchange) looking for a hedge trimmer, and was surprised at the selection of chainsaws and pther powered equipment that the base exchange here is now carrying. They are carrying the Husky line of saws and "WILL" order any Husky for you......which is more than the so called Husky dealers would do when I was looking for a saw earlier on.

Anyways, they had a wall full of blistrer packed spark plugs.......with Mowers, blowers, trimers saws etc depicted onthe package. One person was counting his powered equipment on his fingers, and then told his son to grab 7 packs of spark plugs......DUH! What really was pityfull he then stated better grab 2 more at those prices so we have spares.........OK!

Oh how is this for a price on a Husky 455..$279 out the door......and no taxes are paid on any items in a military base exchange. They had Husky oil for 88 cents a container. They also carry Poulan Pro, and I am finally golad to say that they no longer carry Macs or Homelites or green Poulans.......even their prepacked loops of chains are Oregon instead of the typical repacked packs normally seen. They even had spare Oregon bars on a nice display to fit a wide variety of saws other than what they sell...and the big surprise was they even carried a line of saw chaps, and helmets with screen visors, and loose felling wedges instead of the prepackaged 2 in a pack of wedges normally found.

What?!?!?!

had 2 electrodes come off bosch plugs .very bad for my saws .Personally will never use again

I have never heard of this! Electrodes actually falling off of the spark plugs?!?!?! WHere are they made? Upper Volta? Mongolia? UzBekistan? THat makes my little brass cotter pin look pretty tame in comparison. Which electrode falls off? The center one?

Without being critical of your assessment, I really wouldn't be amazed by spark plugs that last one season and run 2386 miles-even in a snowmobile. When was the last time you were amazed that the $0.99 plugs in your car or truck went 3 or 4 or 5 years and 50,000 miles without even the slightest blip?

The plugs in my truck cost $8.00 each. I tried the cheapo ones, but they were eaten up within four months: gaps 0.065", electrodes rounded off, the curved finger thingy had deep grooves in them. Nope. I use Bosch in my '01 Dodge 3/4 4x4 with the 488 inch v-10. I wish I could tell you what the plugs are, but it has been two years since I installed and forgot.

Back