Sparks flying out of tip of bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutter44752

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been cutting some dead trees and it's been slow going even though i just got the sawchain sharpened...I noticed some sparks flying out of the tip so I made sure the oiler was full and jammed blue axle grease into the end with a needle-nose...still happens. Is the bar gone bad or could be it something else? When I cut horizontally through the stumps a ton of smoke comes out of the engine, I don't know why.

I attached a video of the sparks but it doesn't seem to appear...maybe too big a file?
Didn't see a video attached. It is not uncommon to see a few sparks when cutting hard dried out dead stuff because of insects, dirt particles, etc.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

May also have metal (old nails etc.) inside the wood. I found a few like that, luckily with the splitter and not my saw.
Cutting close to the base of a tree is hard work for a smaller saw. My 490 would start to smoke.
That means it's time to give it a rest.

Stumps are tough on saws, go slow with breaks when the sound of the saw changes up or smoke starts.

I shortened the video and compressed it into a zip so maybe it will load now...(site doesn't seem to take .mov?)

Attachments

• chainsaw sparks.zip
    8.3 MB · Views: 66
Didn't see a video attached. It is not uncommon to see a few sparks when cutting hard dried out dead stuff because of insects, dirt particles, etc.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
That's what I thought but there are sparks even just gunning it in the air (reattached video as zip).

Bar is certainly in need of replacement, might need a new chain too now.
Must look nice at night.
Check your oiler before you put on a new bar, that nose looks very much cooked.

Bar is certainly in need of replacement, might need a new chain too now.
Must look nice at night.
Check your oiler before you put on a new bar, that nose looks very much cooked.

How do I check my oiler? (It runs out of oil around the same time as gas so I assume it's working properly).

Also check your sprocket. That isn't likely nthe cause the sparks...but it is a wearable part, just like the bar so it may need replaced as well.

your bar is toast. you smoked it, maybe the oiler isnt working right. , if you take off the chain, i am pretty sure you have groves cut in the riding surface and have sleigh foot , pulling to the left and right. the bar needed dressed, before it got to this point. lube your needle bearings while you are doing this maintanence. every 1 or 2 fuel ups. i give 2 or 3 shots of grease at the base of teh chain. and work it in a bit. it makes a fast saw. that much faster. [even on a stihl]

the sleigh footed bar would slow down the chain from plunging through the cut.

What does not that old mean to you? Cleaning up a burn area in sandy areas I might not get a week out of a bar. More pics will help. How many stumps is a lot to you? 10? 100? 1000? A couple pics of your cut stumps will help as well.

6-8 months? But only use it a few times a month, maybe 4-5 stumps total?

Attachments

• PXL_20211023_205344631.jpg
    PXL_20211023_205344631.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20211023_205411644.jpg
    PXL_20211023_205411644.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20211023_205548816.jpg
    PXL_20211023_205548816.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
Back