Sparks from clutch area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryIra

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Cutting today with a recently bought (few cords through it) 550xp.

first few trees went fine. Changes out chain and there was decent amount of sparks from area of clutch. I’ve got a few older chains that I threw off the bar at one point. Filed drive links down so it would fit back in the bar groove and reused. But that was with my old saw (450) that has a different drive sprocket.

so I tried a different chain with the sparks even worse. Put back my original chain on and sparks were still there. Better but there. Called it a day at that point.

Any thoughts? All appears to be working normally and the sprocket still appears new. Chains spin normally by hand.

Drive sprocket has a lot more play than my 450 rancher, but it is a different design and much thinner.

Cutting today with a recently bought (few cords through it) 550xp.

first few trees went fine. Changes out chain and there was decent amount of sparks from area of clutch. I’ve got a few older chains that I threw off the bar at one point. Filed drive links down so it would fit back in the bar groove and reused. But that was with my old saw (450) that has a different drive sprocket.

so I tried a different chain with the sparks even worse. Put back my original chain on and sparks were still there. Better but there. Called it a day at that point.

Any thoughts? All appears to be working normally and the sprocket still appears new. Chains spin normally by hand.

Drive sprocket has a lot more play than my 450 rancher, but it is a different design and much thinner.
Are we sure the different chains are compatible wirh the new saw/ sprocket. Pics of the sprocket will help. Chain(s) too.

Thanks for the replies. Chain is .325/50. 100% sure it’s compatible. It’s all I own and have used these chains on this saw without issue. The saw does indeed have a rim sprocket. Can’t imagine it was not seated but suppose it’s possible.

When you see sparks something has to be rubbing, if you run the saw upside down can you get a more exact idea where the sparks originate? rubbing metals should leave a mark somewhere. Also helps to leave off the side cover and just use a few washers under the bar nuts, lets you see things a little clearer.

Back