Sparks on the bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norma

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
On a previous post a fellow A.S. member said that sparks were caused by lack of lubrication. I have a PS7900 that never sparked before, installed a 32" bar to chew through some cottonwood, sparks galore, in oak it was OK. Are the sparks due to sand in the bark? A longtime wood cutter once told me that a sign of lack of bar oil was fine sawdust buildup on the side of the chain. There is no such buildup evident, but the sparks, coming mostly from the tip of the bar are unnerving. I certainly don't want to burn up a bar. Any thoughts as to the cause?

I've seen sparks on long bars with a super loose chain before......

I've also scene sparks when hitting nails/rocks, etc. lol

On a previous post a fellow A.S. member said that sparks were caused by lack of lubrication. I have a PS7900 that never sparked before, installed a 32" bar to chew through some cottonwood, sparks galore, in oak it was OK. Are the sparks due to sand in the bark? A longtime wood cutter once told me that a sign of lack of bar oil was fine sawdust buildup on the side of the chain. There is no such buildup evident, but the sparks, coming mostly from the tip of the bar are unnerving. I certainly don't want to burn up a bar. Any thoughts as to the cause?

Was the tree dead?

I see sparks when cutting standing dead trees where insects have gotten under the bark. Not unusual in black walnut.

Yup, I have seen the same with Cottonwood myself. We were cutting some Cottonwood The other evening at the shop just before dark. We could really see it sparking big time in the twilight. It freaked my partner out because it was our new 441. Didn't hurt the bar or chain at all though.

The only time I really noticed sparks was when I found an old 1/2 inch galvanized pipe that had been used as a tree stake at some point, and the tree had grown around it... :mad:

Hi,

I noticed sparks on the bar or the chain only when the chain strikes a shrapnel in the tree (of the WWII). Both saws of mine promote enough oil and so I can`t see sparks other time.

Sorry, that I can`t help you.

Roteiche:)

Running saws till sunset in the darkness hacking at trees and branches, notice then the sparks constant coming off chains and bars, new chains and bars grinding in ..shudder

Running saws till sunset in the darkness hacking at trees and branches, notice then the sparks constant coming off chains and bars, new chains and bars grinding in ..shudder

Yup, work night shift cutting fireline and you'll see plenty of sparks coming off your bar. Completely normal. But, if they're big enough sparks to be noticed easily in daylight, you might have a problem.

Any locust dead or alive.

The cottonwoods here have grit all through the bases so it sparks too.

If you get enough sparks to catch your chaps on fire, you may want to investigate.:greenchainsaw:

Cottonwood does it everywhere. It picks up a lot of sand and grit in a lifetime.

Mark

Seemed much less down in Mass though.....less clay down there than here.

Unless the bark is off, I hate that stuff. Might as well be sawing sandpaper.
Doesn't chainsaw mill well either, but the chain didn't get dull, it seemed to get sharper. Sliced a chunk out of my finger after milling with the chain. Like a razor.

Mark

Latest posts

Back