Speaking of Log Splitters.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Mine is going together this Saturday. So far I have:
-8x8 H Beam
-4.5" 3000 psi cylinder and Detent valve
-Honda 8 horse motor
-16 gpm pump
-20 gallon tank
-wheels and tires off a golf cart( I will always load it on a trailer)
-Cutting edge for a Dozer for my wedge and Tungsten teeth from a drag line.
And other assorted bits of steel for stiffening here and there. Will post picture of build and final assembly soon.

Real nice list of materials!

I have thought that maybe a 4 1/2 cylinder would be a great compromise between speed and power. 16gpm pump will work well for you.
I have discovered that special steel is not needed for the wedge, but I have also said that there is no such thing as overkill building a splitter.
Golf car tires are going to be a little light for this...:confused:

-Pat

Well, after 12 hours, some SERIOUS fabrication. its done. Other than a couple plumbing snags I ran into, its done, will be running tomorrow. I will post pictures tomorrow as it was dark when we started, and dark when we finished. I also forgot the camera, so no "being built pictures. It looks sweet!

Patrick, Golf Cart tires are 18.5x18x8, rated at 938# each, so no problems with weight, just not Highway rated, but I will pull it into my trailer to take down the road.

Can't bring up your pics

I am going to build a splitter this winter and am working on the plans. I tried to open your pics but all I get is a screen that says link was invalid.

Have others been able to open these? I sure would like to see what you have come up with.

BTW, was your use of an 8x8 the result of some calculations showing you needed that? I was thinking of using the heaviest grade of 6x6 that I can find, which has a web thickness of .455. Assuming an eventual beam length of about 6', the beam alone is going to weigh 150#. An 8x8 with similar web thickness is going to weigh between 2 and 3 times that....fine if needed, but is it?

Any data you used would be much appreciated.

I used the 8x8 because it was free, and because I am pushing 3000 psi through 4.5 inches of cylinder. I did get it all hooked up and there is a little deflection when the cylinder is at full stroke and pushing, but Im sure thats normal. The thicker the web on whatever you use the better, 1/2" or thicker, otherwise you can run gussets on either side of the web if you dont or cant find anything suitable. I cant remember which splitter company it is, but they use 40# beam on their bigger splitters, thats why I used 8x8. I want to say its Split eze

attachment.php

Whoever welded up my splitter put some beads on the push plate to stop the wood from slipping. Just a thought. Nice welding job.

Yeah, I have some sitffening I need to do this weekend, believe it or not, there is about 1/2 deflection from one end to the other under full load. So...will run a couple beads on the push block and ad some gussets to either side of the H beam this saturday.

Your tires

Your tires, 18.5 x 18 x 8 are a flotation type boat trailer tire. These were on Vermeer 630A and 630B stumpers, also pulled at hiway speeds. Unless your sidewall says otherwise, I believe they are hiway tires.

No, They are off a golf cart, got them from a guy I work with who had his cart lifted and customized. And it says on the sidewall, NHS. I know they LOOK like tires that come on a small boat or snowmobile trailer, and if the were Highway rated thats they only way to tell is what it says on the sidewall.

Looks real good. Have any pics of the splitting wedge? Your set up looks like what my dad built and its still running strong after 25 years. Looks like you will be real happy with it.

Yeah, no really clear pictures of the wedge, will get them this weekend. In the post with the single picture, thats the front of the splitter, and you are looking at the back of the wedge on top of the beam, but will get better pics this Saturday.

Back