Special Report: John Deere & Stihl Form Alliance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rleonard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
New press release just published in Lawn and Garden
Strong words near the end of the article

Bob

Special Report: John Deere & Stihl Form Alliance
Qualifying John Deere servicing dealers will now be permitted to sell Stihl branded handheld products in the U.S. and Canada.

Qualifying John Deere servicing dealers will now be permitted to sell Stihl branded handheld products in the U.S. and Canada. Joint marketing efforts between the companies are also anticipated as details of this new alliance begin to materialize.

Under the agreement, John Deere has designated Stihl as the preferred handheld product for its dealers. There are more than 500 John Deere dealers that are already selling Stihl in the U.S. and Canada. Servicing Deere dealers wishing to carry the line will have to qualify just as any other potential Stihl dealer would.

“All the terms and conditions to become a local Stihl dealer are in play, so there are no special deals or pricing,” says Fred Whyte, president of Stihl Inc. In those instances where a Stihl dealer already exists in a market area, a John Deere dealer could also be awarded the Stihl line—if that John Deere dealer meets the criteria set forth by the Stihl branch or distributor covering their area.

“The real nexus for us is that, under this agreement with John Deere, we do not violate our servicing dealer mantra,” Whyte points out. “That was paramount for Stihl, and is one of the reasons why this agreement does not include John Deere Landscape outlets or LESCO stores. John Deere servicing dealers are very sophisticated business people, and we’ve had great success with those we’ve already been doing business with. What this agreement allows us to do is broaden our base of quality servicing dealers—without selling through the box stores. And we still prohibit mail-order sales through catalogs and the Internet. In short, we can remain true to our school.”

A YEAR IN THE MAKING

Confidential discussions between John Deere and Stihl had been taking place for roughly a year before the agreement was solidified and made public on July 29. As one would expect, the news took some—especially dealers—by surprise.

“My fear is that joint marketing will force us into a role as a secondary Stihl outlet as opposed to being the primary outlet in our area, which we are now,” says a dealer in the Midwest. “But as for right now, we are in a holding pattern. Yes, I’m a little bitter. But if I attempt to remove my personal feelings, I see this as a wise move for both companies. John Deere will rule this industry one day.”

John Deere has been working to consolidate its dealer network for the past several years. The concept of “product line purity” has also been raised, meaning that John Deere dealers would only sell John Deere-branded product.
1 2 next

[Get Copyright Permissions] Click here for copyright permissions!
Copyright 2008 Cygnus Business Media

The local John Deere chain laughed at my rep when he told them they'd have to sell X number of dollars a year to keep Stihl, and they said there's no way they could sell that much.

Alliance

This is old news as stated. It is a slap in the face to all Stihl Elite dealers. Selling only one line is difficult. Dealers will have to start using these companys like the whores they are. An extremely unprofessional move. I wonder if Peter even knows. Bitter, you bet you ass.

Last edited:
Right now, I'll bet a stockbroker wouldn't give a **** about "Stihl".

"Stihl-who-what"????!!!!!!
:agree2: I already asked him to evaluate Stihl and advise. He came back and said, "Sorry, Doc, Stihl is not publicly traded on the exchanges."

I said, "That makes sense and explains precisely why they make the best chainsaws sold in the world."

He said, "What do you mean by that?"

I said, "No big dirt bags have contaminated them yet."

Yep they are still family controlled with exec's accountable to the family, or that's how it's been explained to me.

Bummer. My Stihl dealer also sells Toro. I think the red tractors nowadays are leaps and bounds better than the green ones. The JD dealer here is a complete a$$hat.

What will this do to the junk box-store JD's?

Same thing happened to me with Liberty Safe Co. I was the largest dealer in Kansas, then they went Big Box by placing their whole line in Gander Mountain stores. Before that they placed their safes painted JD green with the deerborn Mi. logo on the door and charged $300 more for the same safe I sold. They couldn't keep them in stock! Yep screwed by the corporate types after 10 years of doing business with them. I hope this is not the begining of the end for those great Stihl dealers like it was for me.

Same thing happened to me with Liberty Safe Co. I was the largest dealer in Kansas, then they went Big Box by placing their whole line in Gander Mountain stores. Before that they placed their safes painted JD green with the deerborn Mi. logo on the door and charged $300 more for the same safe I sold. They couldn't keep them in stock! Yep screwed by the corporate types after 10 years of doing business with them. I hope this is not the begining of the end for those great Stihl dealers like it was for me.

Ironic you mention the safe. We bought one a few years ago after being wiped out by some scum sucking basta***. I narrowed down the list to a Liberty due to it's price and quality. It came from a actual dealer, like yourself and was cheaper than GM. I took some bussiness cards and gave him some extra sales. Those guys had a he** of a time getting it in the house/room, LOL. Well worth the investment.:clap:

My Kubota dealer is also a Stihl dealer... and a Toro and Bobcat dealer... talk about having a stroke when you walk in there... yikes. My neighbor just bought a JD tractor... nice tractor.. until you start it... dang its loud and vibrates... 45 hp 3 cyl diesel... I have 3 Kubota tractors ( L2850-1985, L-3430-2006, M6800-2005) mine don't vibrate like that ore half as loud. I would hate to run that thing all day... I ran it for 20 minutes and when i got off it my feet tingles from the vibration... I wondered why they had a really think pad on it... personally I think they are overrated. I have no opinion on their larger stuff because I have no experience with it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back