Speeco 22 ton pump?? issues.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freemind

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I did a search and didn't really come across the issue I am having....

Splitting wood today with my 22 ton. Had been splitting for better than a half hour. No problems.

Next thing I know as the cylinder is retracting, it just stop about a quarter inch from all the way back. I dropped the next piece of wood on the tray and noticed the motor seem to speed up just a bit. Pulling the lever, the cylinder wouldn't move either way.

I had remembered before, folks had said their new splitter didn't have the set screws tight enough on the Lovejoy. So, I checked the set screws. Both are tight. Lovejoy is in good shape. Hydraulic oil is full like it is supposed to be. No funny noises or other issues up to this point with the pump or motor. (other than a bolt here or there that comes loose once in a while. )

Did my pump just give up the ghost? I don't put a lot of hours on the splitter a year. Just cut wood for myself. Had it 4-5 years.

If it is my pump, can I rebuild it? If so where do I get the parts fast?
If I can't rebuild, what pump should I get that won't break the bank?

Need my splitter up and going ASAP.

Thanks for the help, in advance, folks.

Sure you didnt shear off a key on the lovejoy? Set screws would still be tight if you did. I would fire it up and make sure the pump is actually turning.

I just took the lovejoys loose from both the motor and the pump. Both keys are fine. Lovejoy rubber cushion is good. Rolling the pump over by hand, does so easily, with little resistance. It does not freewheel, turning the pump shaft, but it doesn't take much effort either.

So, where do I need to go from here?

If it was the ram seal, why have I had no issues with splitting? Cylinder will not retract OR run forward. It's not getting pressure.

My thoughts were, that the pump died. Reason I come to that conclusion is, when the splitter would no longer function, the motor speed picked up. Valve still functions. Locks in retract, forward still feels the same.

If it's not the pump, fine. However, I am not gonna rebuild this and replace that until I find the issue. I really don't think it is the valve or the cylinder. Leaves me to believe the pump is dead.

ARE these rebuildable? If so, where can I get a kit?

If not, what pump should I replace it with?

The splitter pumps are not considered rebuildable. The only way the pump would fail suddenly is if the the shaft broke or the lovejoy coupling failed. The other possibility is that the spring in the relief in the control valve broke or is jammed open.

Talked to one of the reps at speeco (forgot his name).
He was supposed to send me the diagnostics for the ram and the pump.

Told me there is NO rebuild kits for the pump. They do have a rebuild kit for the cylinder. If the pump was bad, I would have to order one from TSC. They are 200 bucks there, plus tax.

Still no e-mail, and he even read it back to me properly.

Not jumping up and down happy....

Pull the pressure side hose from the control valve. Aim it into a bucket or jug. Start the engine at the lowest possible engine speed and start the engine (being ready to kill it immediately). Is it pumping a bunch of fluid - or not?

Also check your intake/suction line to make sure it is not blocked. Mine had something come apart in the filter assembly and plug up the suction line. Speeco sent me a new filter assembly to replace mine. That was 3-4 years ago and my splitter was about a year old at the time. IF that's the case they will likely warranty the part. Seems there was a weak spring or something in the bypass on the filter that would go bad and come apart. Won't suck it into the pump but will block the suction.

Need a pressure gauge and then stall it against relief.
That will tell you the next test.
Ditto on gauge: I would start on out-put of valve if no good then go to pump just don't dead head from pump unless
you have a releif in test line. If test is good on both it's in the piston,if good on pump and fail on valve it's valve issue.
Hope this helps gauge can be put into system and or kept for future testing cost about $10 -$20

Well, SO FAR, it is NOT the pump.

It is the cheap filter assembly that is the issue. The bypass plug came out and lodged in the inlet line to the pump. Lodged in the inlet fitting before the clear feed line, to be more specific.

To this point, SPEECO has done nothing. I called them, and whoever it was I talked to, was supposed to send me a "diagnostic" for the pump and ram. He read back my e-mail properly, and to date, I STILL have not received it.

I had to give 40 bucks tonight for a new filter assembly. You suppose SPEECO will step up to the plate and refund my money on the part I had to replace? It isn't like I put on the part, they did. I would not expect that to be something that failed. NOW, I have concerns the next thing to go, will be my PUMP. It was starved for oil thanks to the filter assembly. Should I have to shell out 200 bucks for a pump next?

I find it odd, SPEECO has not once offered help in this thread. Maybe I should rethink recommending SPEECO products???

No more wood that I split, I would expect my splitter to give me MANY years of trouble free service. I do keep it maintained and take good care of my stuff. I am quite disappointed at the lack of customer care I have received so far.

Redbird had the problem right.

Now the question is, will SPEECO make this right?

I don't think these come with a "forever" type warranty, but I have never heard of filter assemblies falling apart like that. And as I already said, my concern NOW is that it screwed up my pump by starving it for oil. This is a distasteful situation to be in.

Latest posts

Back