Speed and usefullness of new technology.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian S

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I went out to cut more out of the slash piles I posted about a couple of weeks ago. See old thread here. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=80581

This time I took the 026 and my Echo CS-440, but the 026 was the only one I used just like last time. My dad brought his Mac 10-10 and his Homelite 240. This time he managed not to pull the starter rope out of the 10-10 so he got to use it all day for I think the first time. He did however have a sparkplug cease making sparks, which has never happened to me in any engine. He claims it only happened to him once before, on an old Harley which apparenly didn't run real good on one hole.

Either way, it was fun to hear that old machine turning gasoline into noise. I was pleased once again with the Stihl and I was able to lean it out a bit now that it is good and broken in from its rebuild. Compression is now 165 psi. up from 155 when I put the piston and rings in. Most of what we had cut last week was about 6-8" in diameter with a few big rounds. This time we cut many more 16-17" rounds. The Stihl held its own but there is no replacement for displacement and the old 10-10 was faster with the whole bar buried and 3/8" full chisel. We discussed which is better to have and both agreed that the lighter, AV mounted saw is a lot nicer to use even when you have to sacrifice some speed in the big cuts. If I had to cut big rounds exclusivly I would haul out the bigger saw but for the mixed bag that is firewood scrounging the 026 is fantastic.

I have wondered to myself when folks talk about "limbing" and how the 026,5100,346XP are great limbing saws, how big are the limbs we are talking about? At what point do we agree that it is time to get a bigger saw, when you start cutting (?) size wood frequently? I'm thinking my 026 is in its comfort zone to about 10-12" wood and after that I'm wanting more power to keep the speed up. What do you guys think.

On another note, I'll add this to the thread since it really shouldn't be in chainsaw. I did score a nice used fireplace insert last night from CL. I've been looking for a year and this is the best deal I've found. It is an Englander 24-JC, built in 2001. It is catalatic, which is OK with me and I am quite happy with the build quality. It is a bit crude in the looks department, but for the $450.00 I gave for it I am completely satisfied. It came with a factory variable speed blower, and a much better back plate than many units come with, it must be 1/8" thick plate. It needs paint, and a new catalytic unit, no biggie. Here is a pic fresh out of the truck.
3050767565_a96fa31017_b.jpg

I'm hoping to have it installed mid-December after I source up all the parts and repaint it.

Cheers! :cheers:

+1 for the old 10-10, those things really cut, right up there with the Homelite XL/SXL's. Never used an 026, but from what I have heard it bogs easily with the bar buried but is a good gen. purpose, odd job saw. I'll stick to my trusty Husky 55 though, same weight as an 026 with better AV, better ergonomics and more power.

+1 for the old 10-10, those things really cut, right up there with the Homelite XL/SXL's. Never used an 026, but from what I have heard it bogs easily with the bar buried but is a good gen. purpose, odd job saw. I'll stick to my trusty Husky 55 though, same weight as an 026 with better AV, better ergonomics and more power.

The 026 does not bog easily, but it can't hang with a 57cc saw.

When it comes to plain cutting, the wide and torquey power band of my vintage Macs can't be beat. I like my Stihl's and Husky's, but even taking into account the necessity of a different technique, they still require more attention to prevent them from bogging...

...having said that, when I had to hike 3/4 mile up a horse trail at 9000+ elevation to clear a blowdown this summer, I packed my Husky 455 in lieu of one the Mac Super Pro's;)

Casey

99% of all inserts

Do not have an ash drawer. There is not enough room,heighthwise to get a large firebox and leave 4 inches for a clean out door and drawer.. Just something I have noticed.. as I do not have a fireplace.

Back