speedcut for ms260?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esa13yo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So i have a Stihl 026 44.7mm bore muff modded saw, an i need a new chain. i normally use .325 1.5mm 56dl Oregon chain, and i was thinking to buy an Speedcut bar and chain. what do you think? the wood that i cut is mostly 30cm Finnish spruce, birch, and small aspen (5-20cm) in kind of rough conditions.:reading:

The stihl chain is of better quality IMO. Recently a tree company got a great deal on some Oregon chain and were disappointed massively with the longevity of the chain's sharpness. You get what you pay for.

If speed is what you want.....

Fits 260 just fine, all you need is rimsprocket clutchdrum. Hard to find in Finland but can be bought from european ( Germany ) webstores. And Oregon 91VXL chain works fine on spruce and birch.

RV

Thank you both. I will try to find that tuning kit. maybe i go to my local dealer and ask them.

Thank you both. I will try to find that tuning kit. maybe i go to my local dealer and ask them.
I'm sorry to say this but they are gonna look you like you lost your mind. Finnish Stihl dealers have not even heard about this kit. They will insist to the end that you do not know anything about saws etc. and the only thing that will fit your saw is .325 .58 gauge chain. Even when i was talking to a Finnish Stihl rep about this kit he was sure it will break the picco chain if used on 261........

This is the reason why i get most of needed saw parts from european webshops, usually half price and in a week from ordering.

RV

I'm sorry to say this but they are gonna look you like you lost your mind. Finnish Stihl dealers have not even heard about this kit. They will insist to the end that you do not know anything about saws etc. and the only thing that will fit your saw is .325 .58 gauge chain. Even when i was talking to a Finnish Stihl rep about this kit he was sure it will break the picco chain if used on 261........

This is the reason why i get most of needed saw parts from european webshops, usually half price and in a week from ordering.

RV
These kits have been around for a while now, how he does not know about it is a little disappointing. I suggest you simply get the part number and have him order it.

Includes 16" guide bar, rim sprocket and 3, 63PS chains.
Fits MS 260, MS 261
Part number 0000 007 1900
Retail price $109.95 CAD

I am sure someone can send you a MS 260 drum... Gents?

These kits have been around for a while now, how he does not know about it is a little disappointing. I suggest you simply get the part number and have him order it.

Been there, done that! This product is simply not available in Finland because Stihl Finland is not importing wide range of Stihl products to Finland, this kit being a good example. But main issue is that dealers want to sell what they have, they are reluctant to order parts for you. Usually you are offered after market chinese stuff and you might have to almost demand them to order oem parts.

Local Stihl dealer which i do use time to time, has seen this kit ( because i took it over and showed it for them...) and was interested about it. Next time i went over they said " it's not in importing program, we can't get those here." Guess how they looked at me when i was asking about full wrap handle to my 661........:wtf: Or just teasing them by asking their opinion about square ground chains ........:dizzy:

Basically you can get what you want but you just have to look for it ( online ) a little bit harder and there is always at least one week wait!!!!

RV

I swapped over a Stihl 024 av super to run 3/8 RS chain, the difference in cutting speed was amazing over the stock .325 semi chisel. It can pull a 16 inch bar through oak with the combo no problem, so the PS/PS3 should be even less work as it has a slightly narrower tooth than the RS. I would have gone to the PS chain/bar combo, but I already had the bar and the dealer had the regular 3/8 rim sprocket in stock.

Back