Speedline

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damie236

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to work out what's the best and most cost effective complete set-up for a speed-line with light rigging as the intended purpose? Thanks in advance, pictures are most welcome.

For light rigging looprunners and carabiners are fine, although I like tp go ahaead and throw an aluminum pulley on, easier on the rope. Depending on the size of the limb and the distance of the redirect, you can eitherjust have ypur groundie hold the rope, or toss it on the portawrap.

I don't know whats new but back in the day when I was the only one in the area that knew how to speedline I would use a rack of 10- 3' quickdaws (1' webbing) with bent gate beanners on a 100' 1/2" polyester 16 braid.
Sometimes I would used small blocks but not often. On the ground we used a tee-bar or figure 8. If we needed some torque used a block or two or even a rope come-a-long. This limited gear was all I needed to do most of the work.
It always amazed me then and still does when climbers don't utilized this technique. When done right it is really fast and easy. Hell, I'v even drop-crotch 400 lb chunks onto a 1" line speed-line. Thats a ride!

Back in the early 80's we would commonly take some big wood using a clavis and a piece of rope with a braided loop in it(three strand)and slide it down a 1'' bullline.(using a timber hitch or bowline) We called it a skid line back then. There are a few variations of the zip line. Sometime I may have a tag line in the tree so I can slowly let the piece come down the zip line. If you really what it to fly down tighten the line with a block and tackle. Just be carefull the piece can bounce pretty good when it hits the ground. You can put a pulley on the line down at the bottom to change direction with a tag line on the pulley, pulling the zip line in the direction you want. If the bottom of the zip line is attached high(but lower then were your making your cut)through a block the piece will slid down tell it stops in the air, then slack is given by lower the rope through the block. Sometimes if set up right you can lower the piece right into the truck.
A great tool for removing branches or chunks.

For light duty, 4' one inch webbing tied into a loop with a water knot girth hitched around limb and clipped to a rigging line with standard oval straight gate biner. I tie rigging line to trunk with running bowline and move it up as I go. Let the groundie hold the line. He can control tension and thus control where limb lands to some degree. This is a bare bones version for light duty! It's super fast though and doesn't require sending a pulley back and forth! I carry 8-12 loops of webbing, with a biner on each one and have the groundie send em back up on my climb line when I run out. There are many variations of this. Trial and error will help you dial in a system that works best for you. I find the oval biners work best for me, and they are cheapest. Have fun. I am also fairly new to this technique but have been lovin it! It's always fun to send stuff right out to the road and chipper. I always giggle a bit watching it go. :msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it a lot. Does anyone have pictures of their set-up? It would be nice to see the rig together. thanks again.

No pics, I mostly use a cable(wire rope) with a clamp and come a long to tension it.

we use pulleys, but never let them run, with tag lines. Sometimes small forked limbs are hooked on without being tied and let run.

Back