Spent a fortune on 6" stainless steel stove and chimney pipe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackbnimble

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
years ago. Since than, I got a deal on a stove with a 8" flue opening. Can I run the 6" stove pipe from a 8" opening on this newer wood stove? New ss stove and chimney pipe to span 30' will run in the thousands.
Thanks

Actually you can reduce sometimes. It's generally viewed as not a good idea but have seen it done successfully. You already have the 6in installed and in place so you have nothing to lose by hooking up the stove and trying it. Report your findings.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

As said above, it's not ideal, but might work.
I got a great deal on 6" triple wall, and then found a furnace with a 7" outlet. Reducing works in my case.

Attachments

• DSCF0519.JPG
    DSCF0519.JPG
    570.4 KB · Views: 32
Thanks boys. I've read it is not safe, but I wondered if it shouldn't be evaluated on a case by case basis. I was thinking of buying (or making) 10 feet of stove pipe, placing the newer stove on the first floor under the stove on the second floor and run the pipe from the first floor stove into the upper pipe, using the upper stove to create a draft, then starting the lower unit and shutting down the upper unit.
One stove would be directly under the other. I'd run a T to connect them. In case you have any doubts, yes I've been certified completely out of my mind.
I'm looking into making my own stove pipe.

Thanks boys. I've read it is not safe, but I wondered if it shouldn't be evaluated on a case by case basis. I was thinking of buying (or making) 10 feet of stove pipe, placing the newer stove on the first floor under the stove on the second floor and run the pipe from the first floor stove into the upper pipe, using the upper stove to create a draft, then starting the lower unit and shutting down the upper unit.
One stove would be directly under the other. I'd run a T to connect them. In case you have any doubts, yes I've been certified completely out of my mind.
I'm looking into making my own stove pipe.
Never have two appliances in same flue.

If you insulate the 6" liner it will help with the draft. Not sure how it will work with stove in question?

years ago. Since than, I got a deal on a stove with a 8" flue opening. Can I run the 6" stove pipe from a 8" opening on this newer wood stove? New ss stove and chimney pipe to span 30' will run in the thousands.
Thanks
It very likely could work better. Easier to heat the pipe initially and keep it heated so it can drive the stove. 6" pipe should be plenty for a well-made stove, unless it is ridiculously huge. Check the instructions, make sure they are relatively current or contact manufacturer for current info. A nice, straight, long shot of packed 6" pipe should make a very powerful chimney to drive the appliance, I would need very convincing evidence that it NOT OK before I let someone tell me 'you can't do that.' If you got CSST liner pipe or lots of bends, do more homework first. Also consider the headloss caused by the rain hat and maybe choose one with the 'venturi eductor' feature if they still exist.....or just add a couple feet to get more draft.

Thanks
I heat with two Vermont Castings Defiant Encores and have one on an 8" flue and one on a 6" flue. This model stove came with either flu size and both work well. I would try the 6" pipe you have, but if the stove is current production the manufacturer (if it is not in China) can tell you what will work best and what is acceptable. A lot depends on the stove, but it is certainly worth a try.

I heat with two Vermont Castings Defiant Encores and have one on an 8" flue and one on a 6" flue. This model stove came with either flu size and both work well. I would try the 6" pipe you have, but if the stove is current production the manufacturer (if it is not in China) can tell you what will work best and what is acceptable. A lot depends on the stove, but it is certainly worth a try.
Good advice. There's an interesting guy who makes his own insulated piping who goes by "Honey Do". Good stove and chimney pipe are expensive, so I'm trying to figure out if I can replicate his stuff and if it makes sense to do so. He's into "Rocket" stoves, too. Claims virtually no creosote left over.

Never have two appliances in same flue.

If you insulate the 6" liner it will help with the draft. Not sure how it will work with stove in question?
I've read that, too. Overload the flue?, I guess, but I wouldn't run them simultaneously.

Back