SPI hacked!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Get ready for the price of lumber to go up, the biggest supplier of lumber on the west coast has been crippled since last Monday by a hacker holding them hostage. My best friend runs loader for the A mill in Lincoln, Ca during the day and he has coincidentally off on disability for knee repair. He was told to call in to update his progress but he hasn't been able to get through on the company phones, so he finally contacted his supervisor on his private phone to see what is going on, that's how he found out they had been hacked! None of this is moving out on the local news agencies yet but I bet it will within a few days. If you have some upcoming projects that require you to purchase you lumber, I would suggest you get to your local supplier and stock up now before the prices reflect the slowdown in production! I'll update this thread as I hear news of the situation. Sierra Pacific Industries has mills all up and down the west coast, and they were all affected.

Maybe they paid and kept it quiet. Paying ransom looks bad to potential investors, but gets you back online.
There are no investors at SPI. The company is owned completely by the Emerson family.
If they paid any kind of ransom I imagine it was just to get the opportunity to move in from another direction and put the screws to the people that were hacking them.

Back