Spikeless climbers needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremetrees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I need a climber that can climb without spikes.
I dont want to teach this part of my business I feel the learning curve to steep. I'd like to hire out spikeless climbers at a daily rate. I dont need one all the time maybe only 1 day a week, some weeks more.
Come grow with us.

Thanks for posting Tom. I was trained early on 12 years ago to not use spikes when trimming. I'm looking for anonther tree man that is trained in spikeless climbing to join in all the fun I'm having.

This was posted in my reputation points:

Spikeless climbers needed 12-05-2005 01:13 PM annoying, irrellevent

What's "annoying and irrellevent" [sic] about including women in the profession? Limiting a job seach to only men doesn't make sense and could lead someone into a sexual discrimination case. Being inclusive isn't about being PC. All of the women who've worked for me were much better workers than the men that I hired with equal experience. The women progressed as climbers much faster than the men.

Spikeless treework means out of the bucket! Tom, very egalitarian of you to equate women with men at treework, lofty and admirable for sure, but back to reality. It is a fact that men are usually bigger and have more upper body strength than women and are thus better suited to demanding physical tasks. I am not saying that women are incapable of treework, just not as physically suited for it as men. Ideology cannot negate biological facts.

clearance said:
It is a fact that men are usually bigger and have more upper body strength than women and are thus better suited to demanding physical tasks. I am not saying that women are incapable of treework, just not as physically suited for it as men. Ideology cannot negate biological facts.

Fact or generality? I'm not a big guy so I make small pieces and use my strongest muscle, the one between my ears.

Is treework just physical or what about the mental part?

Ideology??? Not what I'm talking about, read on...

Ideology
1. The science of ideas. --Stewart. [1913 Webster]

2. (Metaph.) A theory of the origin of ideas which derives them exclusively from sensation.
[1913 Webster]

3. A set or system of theories and beliefs held by an individual or group, especially about sociopolitical goals and methods to attain them; in common usage, ideology is such a set of beliefs so strongly held by their adherents as to cause them to ignore evidence against such beliefs, and thus fall into error -- in this sense it is viewed as a negative trait; contrasted to pragmatism, and distinct from idealism.

From WordNet (r) 2.0 :

Ideology
n 1: an orientation that characterizes the thinking of a group or nation [syn: political orientation, political theory]
2: imaginary or visionary theorization

Thinking that women can't do tasks is certainly dated. Have you seen the movie "North Country" ? You would identify with a lot of the thinking of the guys in that movie.

Anybody willling to help a day a week email: [email protected]
Tom show us again the pic of you standing in the swamp in water chest high. That was one awesome tree. This week I'm scheduled to look at a state champion.
The lady wants me to build a tryolene traverse in other trees, Then install a swing for her kid. I'll talk with her about Cobra and see.
I'll probably dead wood the champion for free if I'm allowed to get my hands on it.

Tom-Record-cypress_web.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awsome tree! Thanks! Did it get hit by the hurricane?
Do you voluenteer and climb champions in your area, are you in the parrish?
I really want to go and visist RBTREE! Man his trees are awesome! I'd almost vol. time to work on washingtons states huge 160 footers. I may move to the west coast one day and climb them constantly.

A few years ago I was on a working vacation. I spent a few days in Baton Rouge working with a friend. This was a Sunday hike. The Miss. was flooding at the time as you can see so we got wet.

Climbing champion trees just to climb them is not encouraged.

I would agree. I am a Washington tree serviceman and marvel at some of the old growth out here. One hike through Alpine Lake Wilderness will send the recreational climber into a walking orgasm .. but let's hope these rec climbers don't take off and start spiking, branding and clawing these 1000 year old trees! For business, plenty of 150 footers to work on out here though.

I also wanted to chime in on the 'women' in the business topic. I feel that many men are difficult to train to climb because muscle memory is more key than anything .. this takes time. Woman can be sharp minded and categorize technique very quickly but again reality must chime in: she would be the exception and not the rule if she can gun a throwline into the tree, tie in and thrust her way up there to position around in the tree and remove wood with a chain saw. Mechanical advantage is a blessing to all of this .. and of course she could use it to a max and pull it off .. but not most, sorry. I know from experience, in training.

Tom Dunlap said:
This was posted in my reputation points:

Spikeless climbers needed 12-05-2005 01:13 PM annoying, irrellevent

What's "annoying and irrellevent" [sic] about including women in the profession? Limiting a job seach to only men doesn't make sense and could lead someone into a sexual discrimination case. Being inclusive isn't about being PC. All of the women who've worked for me were much better workers than the men that I hired with equal experience. The women progressed as climbers much faster than the men.

Right on the money Mr. Dunlap as politically correct would be "Treeperson" versus "Treeman".

Arnie

Toms not blind TreeCo, he's just old like us and forget his BC glasses in the truck The only Tree Lady I heard of sounded off like the drill seargent does. I heard she could tell you what to do if you were in the tree in the back yard from the front. I never met her, Shes has sence passed away I shouldn't be downing her for her efforts fed many hungry mouths, mine being one, years after she'd gone.

per house bill:515347211-706gt-4. it is illegal to utter, in a public forum certain divisive terms, partially listed as follows, ( good boy) (atta boy) (tom boy) (youz guys) (boys will be boys) (mans man) (cowboy) in particular it would be best for all, if you chose more inclusive terms, ie: hey human, those sapiens, my "fellow" metabolizers, hello kind humanid.. now get with it america..

When I was in College at ESF, the Forestry women wore steel toe boots. Never trust a woman who wears steel toe boots. LOL.

women - trades

I don't know if this thread is dead but hey, after reading this, I laughed my ass off.

I'm 5'2", 125-130lbs, I'm kinda an ex climber - still do odd jobs, always had my own gear etc - yes I also went to school - I hate to admit that certain aspects are true - I have the luxury of being built kinda like a minibrick house, and most women aren't, nor do they want to be.

Personally, Ive never had a prob with getting a throw-line, my own climbin line, all my gear myself from the get go, but attitude helps, ...as for the debate - at the end of the day is the job done? man or woman if you can do the job great, if not - get the f*** off my jobsite

any woman in this industry or any trade should already be prepared for what she encounters - jokes, comments, pc-incorrectness, and be prepared to dish it back. You might not be able to fight city hall - but you can go in there and piss everybody off....lol

Latest posts

Back