Spike's 2015 GTG--NOT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly out side of here who really cares? I think the point is it shouldn't just be about the builders as they are just one facet of this community. It should be about the folks who are customers and / or are enthusiasts and enjoy working on their saws as well. Builders would be welcome I'm certain as they are also a part of that community and have some pretty cool stuff...in my most humble opinion the focus needs to be on the 90 percent of the saw user population, many who never even visit places like this but are out there slugging away with their saws. But as this thread has shown, because of this cyber world reality its easy to slip yet again into that as a focus because it is the focus here in cyber space. I have yet to run into a logger out here who runs heavily modded saws or has them in their work rotations. But they have real interesting stories to tell and there are a LOT more of them out there than folks like us. Their reality is different than ours and I would like to see and hear more from that group and the dealers who support them.

I personally would like to see more focus on the craft, wood craft. Hear folks war stories, how they solved issue be it cutting or mechanical. Celebrate the successes of the typical saw user as there are many
Very well said!

Honestly out side of here who really cares? I think the point is it shouldn't just be about the builders as they are just one facet of this community. It should be about the folks who are customers and / or are enthusiasts and enjoy working on their saws as well. Builders would be welcome I'm certain as they are also a part of that community and have some pretty cool stuff...in my most humble opinion the focus needs to be on the 90 percent of the saw user population, many who never even visit places like this but are out there slugging away with their saws. But as this thread has shown, because of this cyber world reality its easy to slip yet again into that as a focus because it is the focus here in cyber space. I have yet to run into a logger out here who runs heavily modded saws or has them in their work rotations. But they have real interesting stories to tell and there are a LOT more of them out there than folks like us. Their reality is different than ours and I would like to see and hear more from that group and the dealers who support them.

I personally would like to see more focus on the craft, wood craft. Hear folks war stories, how they solved issue be it cutting or mechanical. Celebrate the successes of the typical saw user as there are many

I dunno, I was looking forward to a GTG to get some hands on experience with different saws, and instead of hunting YouTube videos of different saws in different wood to actually run them side by side and get real world comparisons.

If you want to hear war stories and how to solve technical problems I can understand that, but I'd just as soon read about it (or not) from my arm chair than drive a few hours for that. Plus, a GTG is like a three ring circus. So much going on you have to pick and choose what you do: spend time jibber jabbering or getting your hands on saws. Eating pie or challenging someone to a friendly competition. More than half of what goes on you're gonna miss, so even if there are some good stories, I might miss them even if I do go. At least online I feel like I catch most of the banter being thrown around.

Personally, and I'm only speaking for myself, I'd drive for some good interaction with people, but I'm here because of my interest in a few saws: the latest models, the legends of yesteryear, the changes that a port job produces, and the feel of different models in my hands...not war stories.

I dunno, I was looking forward to a GTG to get some hands on experience with different saws, and instead of hunting YouTube videos of different saws in different wood to actually run them side by side and get real world comparisons.

If you want to hear war stories and how to solve technical problems I can understand that, but I'd just as soon read about it (or not) from my arm chair than drive a few hours for that. Plus, a GTG is like a three ring circus. So much going on you have to pick and choose what you do: spend time jibber jabbering or getting your hands on saws. Eating pie or challenging someone to a friendly competition. More than half of what goes on you're gonna miss, so even if there are some good stories, I might miss them even if I do go. At least online I feel like I catch most of the banter being thrown around.

Personally, and I'm only speaking for myself, I'd drive for some good interaction with people, but I'm here because of my interest in a few saws: the latest models, the legends of yesteryear, the changes that a port job produces, and the feel of different models in my hands...not war stories.

War stories & the like is a part of interaction with people who live the life. And the dealers who support them have lots to offer, the nuance missed in cyber space. And of course there will always be those who either build of bought warmed up saws....AND the dealers who support usually have saws to test drive.

What saws are you looking to run?

What saws are you looking to run?

Husky : 262xp, 288xp, 390xp, 2100/3120, 550xp, 562xp
Stihl : 361/362, 044/440, 046/460, 066/661, 088/880
Dolmar : 6400, 7900
Echo : cs590/600
Mac: 7-10, 10-10,
Partner P5000 / Jonsered 590 / Poulan 325
Any gear drive saw

Just a few that I'm looking out for. But I'm sure there are many others that I'd like to try.

That's a great list!
Gasket deleted 262, gasket deleted 181/288 aftermarket top end, stock stihl 441, stock and ported 460, stock dolmar 6400
Will be there for your enjoyment.
Hope that's a good start!

I understand everyone's point of view, and many are different, but I like the competition. I understand there are a lot of variables, but that is part of it. And for the record, my chains will be sharpened exactly how I sharpen them to cut in the woods, no different. I expect them to cut well for at least two tanks of gas w/o touch up.

It is like the old cars. Some guys would have mean machines all set up for the track, but would never race any one, they were afraid to get their ego's bruised. And yes, winning & loosing was dependent on how your car ran, your tires, how you could drive (launch, shift) etc.

I used to race just about anyone, and there were times I got beat when I did not expect to get beat, and there were times I won races I had no business winning.

My 427 Ford Powered 70 Boss Mustang lost the first 3 races. Then I put traction bars on it and never lost again. Competition is the ultimate teacher.

Timed event or not, if your saw is not tuned right, or does not have a sharp chain, it will not leave a good impression.

To me, a GTG is like going to the races, except that you can drive most of the cars! How cool!

And yes, I also appreciate seeing Lee's big yellow saws, and other old saws and ones with 4' & 6' bars on them, it is like a car show & a race all rolled into one.

The bottom line is, if I did not go to a GTG, I likely would never have had a saw ported. But after you pull the trigger on a ported saw, most people don't want to look back. And the nice thing is, you can often find an example of the saw you are thinking of building, just to make sure it is what you really want.

As long as everyone has fun, nothing else matters, and, IMO, let the competition go forth!

I'm also bummed that for me, AS turned me onto porting saws for extra power, and according to your post ported saws at GTGs are sooo boring.

No no, that's not the sentiment I was trying to get across at all. Ported saws are great fun; got some myself. What I was saying was that if it's just a few of the more popular models built by just a few guys, then there's just not enough going on to make it an interesting day for me. Particularly if that's the program 3-4 years in a row. That's why it was getting stale/boring for many of us, and we need to freshen it up. And I especially wanted to make sure that other members without professionally ported saws felt that they were just as welcome as anyone else. I also said that guys bringing DIY builds can share info and ideas which is exactly a "way for people who are interested in figuring out what makes a better port job" to learn things. Honestly, I chose my words carefully in the opening post and I don't know how anyone could get the wrong impression.

No no, that's not the sentiment I was trying to get across at all. Ported saws are great fun; got some myself. What I was saying was that if it's just a few of the more popular models built by just a few guys, then there's just not enough going on to make it an interesting day for me. Particularly if that's the program 3-4 years in a row. That's why it was getting stale/boring for many of us, and we need to freshen it up. And I especially wanted to make sure that other members without professionally ported saws felt that they were just as welcome as anyone else. I also said that guys bringing DIY builds can share info and ideas which is exactly a "way for people who are interested in figuring out what makes a better port job" to learn things. Honestly, I chose my words carefully in the opening post and I don't know how anyone could get the wrong impression.

Oh boy...a game of statistic's. :)

I remember my very first gtg...on top of some hill in central ny..I just got out of the truck and knew no one...this guy just got done running a 101b powered mac in a monster log I walked up to him and was amazed at that thing...without saying a word while the saw was still running he just handed it to me to try...that guy was ambull...also ment spike60..wiemdog...woodchucker..j walker and a bunch of others...good times that I will never forget!

I see what you mean Bob, I was actually getting tired of bringing my ported saws and then watching Brett run one of his, not that it's a bad thing. This year believe it or not I was planing on just bringing the saws that I ported and my splitting toys.

I remember my very first gtg...on top of some hill in central ny..I just got out of the truck and knew no one...this guy just got done running a 101b powered mac in a monster log I walked up to him and was amazed at that thing...without saying a word while the saw was still running he just handed it to me to try...that guy was ambull...also ment spike60..wiemdog...woodchucker..j walker and a bunch of others...good times that I will never forget!
Funny, I just mentioned you in my post and when I posted it, yours also came up. Running your saws and talking to you is one of the reasons that motivated me to educate myself and do my own porting.

One guy brought a Farmi Winch once.... Another a lighting fast log splitter... took three motivated young guys to keep up with it! But they did.. AND remember one where this new guy shows up with a bunch of Stihl's to a Jonsered Party... :)

One guy brought a Farmi Winch once.... Another a lighting fast log splitter... took three motivated young guys to keep up with it! But they did.. AND remember one where this new guy shows up with a bunch of Stihl's to a Jonsered Party... :)
A lot of wood was processed that day!!!

I remember my very first gtg...on top of some hill in central ny..I just got out of the truck and knew no one...this guy just got done running a 101b powered mac in a monster log I walked up to him and was amazed at that thing...without saying a word while the saw was still running he just handed it to me to try...that guy was...
For me that guy was you! At Bob's 2 yrs ago you handed me a ported Stihl of yours. I remember your twin cylinder and a rotary engine as well. Of course Lee's hotrod demon along with a bunch of other ported saws. I remember leaving and realizing I never got your real name! ;)

Hadn't thought about a 'splitter. I've got a Franken(stein)splitter powered with a non-functioning Wisconsin THD that may find its' way to the CT GTG if anyone knows their way around an old THD it'd be a trip to get the thing running.

The old stuff is cool. Need to do a 2000 and under saw gtg or maybe even 1990. We were hanging out today playing around with some guys and we were filing a chain and one guy fired up an old pioneer and we all stopped and watched. The old stuff just sounds better for the most part.

For me that guy was you! At Bob's 2 yrs ago you handed me a ported Stihl of yours. I remember your twin cylinder and a rotary engine as well. Of course Lee's hotrod demon along with a bunch of other ported saws. I remember leaving and realizing I never got your real name! ;)
Yup. He hooked me this year same way. And I never got his name either. Had to search a little in the site to find it.
I'll try to pass on the favor to someone at my gtg in nov. Maybe Brett could come and bring some of his bad a$$ saws???

Latest posts

Back