Spikes and removals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david1332

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Alright guys, I have a pair of Klein steel spikes with the shin cup pads( has the metal piece the shank goes into so it doesn't move) .

They're alright but quite heavy and clanky
Anyway, for some reason when I'm using them the bottom portion of the shank digs into the side of my foot really bad. It gets rather painful too! I had to stop a job because of it. I'm not sure what's wrong or what it causing this to happen. I would really appreciate the help.

What kind of boots are you wearing? Sounds like it may be time for some new spikes. Not all of them fit everybody very well. Also have you adjusted them to the proper height?

What kind of boots are you wearing? Sounds like it may be time for some new spikes. Not all of them fit everybody very well. Also have you adjusted them to the proper height?
Yes they are 3/4 up my shins. But it's the bottom part digging in , not the top.
And I'm wearing basic steel toed work boots with a decent sized heel

Good on the adjustment. I understood what was digging in. You need to start with some decent climbing boots, not steel toed work boots. Everybody has their own preferred brand. I like carolina 1922's. They are a logger style boot with a lineman's climbing shank in them. The climbing boots I have are wider at the arch than regular work boots. The only thing in contact is the arch with the spikes if that makes sense.

Steel shanks increase comfort. I wear Hoffman lineman with dual steel shanks, when climbing in spurs, can climb all day with zero footpain.

I'd almost bet your shanks are on the wrong feet. Especially if they're twisted shanks. Like.. left shank on right pad, etc. Kleins are marked L and R on the bottom of the stirrups. They're forged a certain way. Check to make sure the left pad is on the left shank and vice versa.

I'd almost bet your shanks are on the wrong feet. Especially if they're twisted shanks. Like.. left shank on right pad, etc. Kleins are marked L and R on the bottom of the stirrups. They're forged a certain way. Check to make sure the left pad is on the left shank and vice versa.
lol sorry but I always look st the LR before putting them on just to be sure.

Good on the adjustment. I understood what was digging in. You need to start with some decent climbing boots, not steel toed work boots. Everybody has their own preferred brand. I like carolina 1922's. They are a logger style boot with a lineman's climbing shank in them. The climbing boots I have are wider at the arch than regular work boots. The only thing in contact is the arch with the spikes if that makes sense.
Could you elaborate a little?

I didn't mean your spurs were on backwards. I was implying you might have the right side pads on the left shank.

How about Georgia steel boots on treestuff?

Attachments

• IMG_1100.PNG
    IMG_1100.PNG
    106.1 KB · Views: 8
Their website says they have a steel shank so they should be better. A steel shank is a piece of steel between your foot and the sole of the boot. It runs most of the length of the foot so the pressure from the stirrup is distributed across a bigger surface.

However, you still may want to look at true lineman boots. Not that I think the logger boots are bad, but lineman boots are made for people on spikes all day.

Their website says they have a steel shank so they should be better. A steel shank is a piece of steel between your foot and the sole of the boot. It runs most of the length of the foot so the pressure from the stirrup is distributed across a bigger surface.

However, you still may want to look at true lineman boots. Not that I think the logger boots are bad, but lineman boots are made for people on spikes all day.
That's tough spending $160 on boots though. Will they be worth it?

The arch is wider on climbing boot so the spurs don't dig into the sides of your feet. Buy something with an actual line mans shank in it. Real climbing boots are expensive. To spike climb and not have to stop in the middle of a job or hurt your feet, your going to have to have real climbing boots.

I spur all day 75% of the time with his protector lights.. and have no issue with any of these problems?

Back