Split fingers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Winter is the worst for me when it comes to cracked and split fingers. Cracks and splits that tear open and hurt all the time. I'm sure many who work with there hands experience it at some point. Some years ago someone told me about a way to stop them from cracking and more importantly stop them from hurting. Supper glue! Yep supper glue.
The pain comes from the split tearing the skin as you work with your hands. The glue bonds the split closed and the tearing stops along with the pain. It will leave a hard spot that feels like a callus but hey, we are use to that. It seems to make them heal much faster too. It will peel off fairly easy in a few days as the skin heals. Wallmart has a value pack of 4 tubes for $1.98 and is the cheapest I have found.
Wash and clean hands real good before using. Make sure they are dry. Put small (SMALL) amount directly into the crack and squeeze it shut. It should bond immediately. Be careful not to glue your fingers together. :dumb:

Supper glue doesn't sound very tasty to me.

I just use lotion.

My doc pushes Vaseline but it is greasy and messy.

O'keef's hand cream works well, is not greasy, rubs into the skin and really does a good job moistening the skin. Used regulary the fingers don't crack, used after the crack the O'keef's will heal the crack after only a few applications. Wal Mart has it in the pharmacy section. I keep container on my desk now and use it constantly.

Vaseline works good on 'cracked heel' problems as you can apply and then slip the sock over it.

My doc pushes Vaseline but it is greasy and messy.

O'keef's hand cream works well, is not greasy, rubs into the skin and really does a good job moistening the skin. Used regulary the fingers don't crack, used after the crack the O'keef's will heal the crack after only a few applications. Wal Mart has it in the pharmacy section. I keep container on my desk now and use it constantly.

Vaseline works good on 'cracked heel' problems as you can apply and then slip the sock over it.

Lotion helps, (Corn Huskers) at least till you wash your hands. I'm talking about an instant fix that stops the pain immediately and a one time application, not something that you have to re apply and takes days to work.

Super glue is used medically all the time- great idea!

I get splitting near the fingernails quite a bit, would be nice to be able to doctor up a nasty one. My hands won't absorb lotion on the calloused parts. Annoying.

I use a liberal amount of corn huskers before I put my gloves on to keep the skin moist and stop the splitting. At night when finished working I use plain old bag balm. worked into the skin and pay attention to the cuteicals around the nails.

For my feet I apply by rubbing in bees wax and olive oil lotion I make worked in also. Olny have to do it once a week

They do make a hands and body Bag Balm if you are utterly againest useing some thing designed for a cow.

If your hands are real bad but bag balm on before bed and wear gloves, I have did both nitrite and jersy ones. same with feet wear socks.

:D Al

Another thing I've found over the decades....... remember that the skin that is cracking is all dead. Remove it. There are hundreds of products out there. Even common files or sandpaper will help. I use something similar to this : https://www.amazon.com/Fairyland-Co...-24&keywords=dead+skin+remover+for+hands&th=1 This and similar products have small cutters that remove the dead skin quickly ( don't take it down to far ..... easy does it )
After you remove most of the dead stuff ...... lotion up.

I don't have a problem with the dryness. Whenever we visit Montana (or a dry winter comes along) they are all breaking out the chap stick and hand lotion, while I feel like I'm finally drying out from all the humidity.

Interesting thing, the human body. Every one is different. I know a tuba player who has a really high Ph balance in his skin, so that he has to have a barrier between his arm and his tuba. Otherwise his skin acid will eat through the wall of the instrument in a matter of months!

I know another guy who has a strange electrical issue. He can't wear a digital watch because they always stop working within a matter of weeks. He has to use a mechanical time piece. Strange!

I use both hands... at the same time.;);)

Haha

On the same person?
I don't have a problem with the dryness. Whenever we visit Montana (or a dry winter comes along) they are all breaking out the chap stick and hand lotion, while I feel like I'm finally drying out from all the humidity.

Interesting thing, the human body. Every one is different. I know a tuba player who has a really high Ph balance in his skin, so that he has to have a barrier between his arm and his tuba. Otherwise his skin acid will eat through the wall of the instrument in a matter of months!

I know another guy who has a strange electrical issue. He can't wear a digital watch because they always stop working within a matter of weeks. He has to use a mechanical time piece. Strange!

I have a guitar player friend thats is like your tuba friend. Every time he plays one of my guitars, I have to change the strings cause they will rust the next day, where I don't have that problem.

My dad had the watch killing issue. Every watch he had would stop.

I got some stuff from a dermatologist several years ago for severe, cracked skin. Think it used to be prescription (Rx) stuff, but now I get an over the counter (OTC) version.

'AmLactin' Moisturing Body Creme
IMG_1594.jpg

Stings when you first use it. Usually heals the cracks in 2-3 days or so. I use another non-scented, non-greasy lotion (wife has more types of hand lotion than I have chains!) for general dryness.

Winter is hard on hands, especially when also using waterless hand cleaners, like Go-Jo. I try to use disposable gloves more for greasy things, to cut down on the scrubbing and drying out.

Philbert

Bag Balm has always been the go to for me. My problem is I hate gloves so that adds to my discomfort. When working on mechanical issues I wash my hands often. After every wash when hands are really dry work into skin a small amount of Vaseline which keeps dirt out of cracks into the skin and then apply Corn Huskers or. Also wearing some of the mechanical made gloves some will really help. Super glue can save a trip to ER for some sutures too. For small cuts works wonders. Thanks

Super glue is a good idea but try washing your hands in cold water only. Warm / hot water will wash away natural skin oils. I learned this one winter when the hot water heater broke. I used to have dry cracked skin all winter. Cold water washing cleared up most of it.

Latest posts

Back