Split-Fire Splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FarmerSid

FarmerSid

ArboristSite Member
Does anybody know what capacity the cylinder has built in the splitfire SS230? I need to find a proper hydr pump to get it to work.

Here is the specs on the model you are asking about.

http://www.split-fire.com/splitter_ss230.html

Seeing that it is a 3 point hitch splitter, the GPM of your tractor will determine it's performance or are you asking to determine what size PTO pump to get?

Cheers!

Sid

Last edited:
Thekees

Thekees

ArboristSite Lurker
Sid,

Thanks, looking on the site, they use an 3,5 by 24 inch cylinder for the 255, the same used in the SS230. They use a 5,5 hp, and i have a 8 hp, so power wont be the problem. Since i'm new in building up this one:

- does anybody has a number for the pump i need (barnes?)
- Do i need an adapter between the Honda and the pump?

Thank so far,

Kees

Thekees

Thekees

ArboristSite Lurker
After googling a evening or what i found out that Spit-fire uses a
10 gpm LP/2,7 gpm HP pump to get the fluid going for the 3,5 by24 inch cylinder. Found out that the Haldex 100169 will do (11 gpm/2,9 gpm) the job.

Now i need to know how to fit the pump to the honda GX240 engine? Are there special adapters or couplers for it?

Thanks for helping out.

Kees

chaikwa

chaikwa

ArboristSite Operative

So do these people;
http://www.surpluscenter.com/home.asp?UID=2005091808121711
(if you call these people, they can help you calculate hydraulic sizes - very helpful)

and these people;
http://www.northernhydraulics.net/ws/homepage3.php?page_id=750
(slow site to load tho)

and these people;
http://www.splitez.com/log_splitter_parts.html

Thanks everyone for your replies! Looking forward to reading more comments/suggestions!

chaikwa.

FarmerSid

FarmerSid

ArboristSite Member
Here's a few of the barn/workshop I built last summer. It's 36'X72' and the shop is now fully insulated. I traded my old '89 Chevy step side for the insulating job. He supplied everything and did everything straight up. Didn't cost me a cent. Here's a few of my new to me truck. It's a 2004 GMC 2500 SLT CCSB with a 6.0.

FarmerSid

FarmerSid

ArboristSite Member
The white panel is a cut out from an exterior door where they put a window in. I used them to insulate under the concrete floor as I installed radiant heat tubing. I paid $340 for enough cut outs to complete the 36'X40' shop area. It would of cost around $2000 for 2" SM.

Last edited:
FarmerSid

FarmerSid

ArboristSite Member
I have more done than these show like it is fully insulated and I have 10 cabinets hanging on the wall. Two of them are AC-Delco cabinets.

Last edited:
kellog

kellog

ArboristSite Operative
Farmersid,

I really like your clean fabrication and great design work. I was not sure how you got the clevis pin in but obviously you did.

The only thing I see that I would have done different would be the bolts on the wedge at the end. They are going to take a bunch of load and may need to be bigger. It's not an issue though. If they break you can easily put new, larger ones in.

I also have a huge amount of workshop envy. Beautiful building.

Great job!!!

walexa07

walexa07

ArboristSite Guru
Reviving an old post........

FarmerSid,

What chipped out pieces of the wedge on your home-built splitter?

I have an atv trailer alot like the one in your photo. I am about to build another like it.........a little more refined, and am looking for a better design for the tail gate on mine. Right now it is just a piece of plywood that slides down in groves made with angle iron. Do you have any more pics of that trailer?

Also, what is your opinion of the split-fire splitter? I just ordered one last week and anxiously await its arrival.

Waylan

FarmerSid

FarmerSid

ArboristSite Member
Reviving an old post........

FarmerSid,

What chipped out pieces of the wedge on your home-built splitter?

I have an atv trailer alot like the one in your photo. I am about to build another like it.........a little more refined, and am looking for a better design for the tail gate on mine. Right now it is just a piece of plywood that slides down in groves made with angle iron. Do you have any more pics of that trailer?

Also, what is your opinion of the split-fire splitter? I just ordered one last week and anxiously await its arrival.

Waylan

Waylan,

The wedge never chipped but bent over. The angle on the knife edge was too much. It would cut instead od splitting. I have cut that one off and welded a new one on. You can see the new one in some of the pictures I already posted. As for the trailer, I can get some of it for you. Basically all it is is 2" 1/8" wall tubing for a frame, tongue and corner uprights. Angle iron for the top rail. The tail gate is 1" tubing. I used small pieces of pipe to make hinges and some scrap chain to hold it horizontal to the trailer when down. I used spindles and tires from a old saturn car I was scrapping. I bought the springs, hangers and fenders from a local trailer parts store. A buddy works at a local aluminum rolling plant and got me some aluminum for the sides and tail gate for dirt cheap. Scrap prices. He also got me about 15 sheets of 4'X8' aluminum checker plate to put on the walls in my shop 4' up the walls from the floor. Coloured steel will go from there to the ceiling. I built this wagon out of material I had on hand. I was in the middle of building the barn so funds were tight and I needed something to haul materials around in and would need the wagon to haul horse manure and wood when the barn was done.

I would build it out of heavier wall material if I were you or if I build another. I bent it a little when I was bringing in my wood last fall :cry: . I heaped the trailer up and used the tail gate to pile wood on as well. I think that's what bent it. I stopped using the tail gate and still heaped it up but it hasn't bent since. It's not very much but you can see it if you look down the frame.

A buddy rented a split-fire a couple weeks ago and it works slick! In order to get the most out of it's two way splitting, you need 3 people helping. We split 4 cords in 4 hours and that was with 2 beer breaks :cheers: . I think it's awesome and that's why I built one.

Cheers!

Sid

walexa07

walexa07

ArboristSite Guru
Thanks for the info FarmerSid.

I build an atv trailer alot like that about 13 years ago, but used a little heavier material........I think 1.5" angle, 3/16" thick. It only has 1 cross brace (floor joist?) across the bottom in the middle.......if I did it again I would use 2 (for a total of 4 if you include the front and tail pieces). I originally used a golf cart rear-end with small boat trailer tires on it for an axle. About a year ago a neighbor told me I could have an old boat trailer, so I cut the spring shackles off, shortened the axle, and welded it under my trailer........I like it suspended much better. I am, however, interested in building another one.........and doing it better. I have had mine slam full of firewood, dirt, bricks, deer, corn, etc., and never any bending except the tongue one time. I had the trailer upside down to replace the golf cart axle with the leaf springs, and when I stood it up, I let it fall and it bent the angle that the tongue was welded to. If/when I build another I will run the tongue back to the midpoint of the trailer, instead of attaching it to the front bottom crossmember. When it bent, I bent it back and reinforced it with 1" tubing welded underneath and have had no problems since. The trailer is a real help during hunting season........we haul chainsaws and trimmers, ice chests for drinks, etc., to clear out lanes. Then use it to haul feeders and corn throughout the season, and to recover deer. It is probably the most used piece of equipment I have ever built and I can't imagine being without it. It is the same width as my atv, so if my atv can make it between 2 trees, so can the trailer. You do have to watch out for small sapplings though........if they get between the trailer and a tire, they can swat you pretty good. You really don't have to worry about that happening more than 1 good time........after that you WILL always watch out for them.

I ordered a split-fire last Friday.........I can't wait to get it in. Have you noticed less force when the cylinder retracts........in the one rented or the one you built? Was the one you built light enough on the tongue to pick up to put on a hitch? I see they don't come with a tongue jack........just a prop. Can it be moved around by hand in the woods? If mine is too heavy on the tongue I may extend the tongue, possibly make the tongue removable for easier storage.

Waylan

FarmerSid

FarmerSid

ArboristSite Member
I ordered a split-fire last Friday.........I can't wait to get it in. Have you noticed less force when the cylinder retracts........in the one rented or the one you built? Was the one you built light enough on the tongue to pick up to put on a hitch? I see they don't come with a tongue jack........just a prop. Can it be moved around by hand in the woods? If mine is too heavy on the tongue I may extend the tongue, possibly make the tongue removable for easier storage.

Waylan,

I have noticed that the Split-fire has more force when extending on both mine and the factory Split-fire and that is due to the cylinder having more volume in the extending stroke. You can easily move the splitter around by hand as long as you have the wedge in the retracted position. It's quite a bit heavier on the hitch if you leave the wedge extended. I found that out when hooking it up to my four wheeler. The only thing I would suggest to Split-Fire or you is to put larger tires on it. It will roll much easier when moving it around by hand.

Cheers!

Sid

walexa07

walexa07

ArboristSite Guru
FarmerSid,

The only problem with the larger tires is that I ordered mine with a log lift. The tire size affects the beam height, so larger tires would have the log lift off the ground.

Waylan

Latest posts