Split rail fence

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toddppm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anybody ever made your own? I had a book from the library at one time that showed how to do it but can't find any info on it again. Got some Chesnut oak logs that I'd like to use for fence rails instead of firewood if possible.

I made some fence rails out of western red cedar about 7' long. The log was about 24" at the butt. I looked for natural splits in the end after I bucked it into 7' lengths, then I pounded in a wedge with a sledge hammer. As it started to open up I stuck more wedges along the length one after the other and kept whaling on them. Just have to keep hitting and adding wedges. It takes lots of different sized steel wedges, you might have to get some made for you.

I made one once. I didn't have to split the rails like "honest Abe" on a count of the wood was sitting up in the hills around my place. An old redwood fence long since fallen a apart got a new lease on life as a spilt rail fence. It was a fun project and totally free. I used a post hole digger, my chainsaw, a hammer and some wood chisels. How ever you do it I think you'll have a fun time. :blob2:

I've never done,myself,but my dad tells interesting storys.In the late 30's,before the use of chainsaws they did everything with 2 man crosscut saws[misery whips]They used to split logs,to get them small enough to get in the buzzsaws,tractor driven.They started down the log with large steel wedges.As the log started to open up,they would put in huge wedges,made of oak.Can you imagine that?If the log wasn't too big,they used a drag saw,powered by a John Deere A,to cut it to about 8 ft lengths.He said the drag saw was slow,and that he and my uncles could out saw it with the cross cut,but they couldn't out last it. :)

Hi Todd, around here if the CCC or prisoner/CDF crews are making split rails they run a groove along the length of the log using a chainsaw. Then they insert wedges along the length and start driving them home. some do it in a staggered sequence but I would think if a guy is tough enough he could just pound down and back and get a smaller log to cleave.

Those of us with splitters should be able to make them by rigging adaptors to the basic splitter. One end must grasp the log with a clamp like device or choker chain, the other must be a wedge that extends higher than the cylinder so the rail can be longer than the stock opening for logs.

My little mtd has a moving wedge, so I maybe could extend the wedge higher, and build a cradle/choker assy that would mount to the end of the beam to hold the log level and secure the end of the log that is away from the wedge end while I start the split. After the first extension of the ram, hold the split open with wooden wedges, hold the log with the choker chain, retract ram, advance the log, secure end away from the wedge with choker chain, and extend the wedge to split farther along the log.

I hope this works for someone, I dont have any way to make it right now, but I reckon it would work.

I've split hundreds of posts and rails and more. I use to cut cedar shake bolts and fencing when I was a kid. (family business) A saw, a mall and 4 wedges is all you need. start your wwedge on the end and work the crack down with a series of wedges. With hard woods you may need a few more wedges.

Back