Split tail climbing setups.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Lawn Shark

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What all gear is needed to use a split tail setup??

Climbing rope / split tail / beaners / micro pulley / what else???

What all do you use in your split tail climbing setups

you will also need a lanyard system. I'm using a DEDA (double ended, double action) lanyard system.

most will use a single lanyard with micro ascender to adjust length.
for beginners, a require read is "tree climbers companion" by jeff jebson

using steel double action biners terminated with triple fisherman on split tail. steel biner to figure eight to main rope.

thinking of eliminating steel biners in favor of stainless maillon Rapide screw links. stronger/more secure and lighter... a good combination.

also be very careful of which advice you take from AS. some jokers have been known to post false information that can kill ya....

What all gear is needed to use a split tail setup??

Climbing rope / split tail / beaners / micro pulley / what else???

What all do you use in your split tail climbing setups

Last edited:
TreeCo, great point! just did a search and cannot find any instance of wrong information not corrected by someone.

thanks for pointing that out. due to the high traffic of AS, it's a certainty loads of newbies cruise AS looking for information. have always worried about someone seeing and using wrong info...

without question there's a wealth of info on AS!
here's two links with great info on termination knots and favorite knots.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=42466&highlight=termination

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=35784&highlight=termination

It is true that sometimes we get false information posted but if you guys can point out an instance where it was not pointed out as false by others please speak up!

Last edited:
I like using the square edged micro prusik pulley attached with a swivel dog leash snap for advancing my split tail. I have been doing some line directs in the tree with my new micro twin pulley rather then just running the 2 ropes thru the biner, seems to work nice but just more equip. to carry. Always carry two 5/8" lanyards on my saddle, 1 wirecore, 1 not , both held by Petzl Macrograbs and stainless twist clevises on each side of the saddle

Willard

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back