Splitter Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBeeNY

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m looking for a good splitter , would you guys recommend hydraulic or kinetic and which brand , thank you fellas . I’m new to this forum. I would probably split around 7-10 cords a year

Welcome to the forum!
How much you want to spend is the first question….. any splitter will be easier/faster than an axe, any box store unit will likely be just fine if you want to get one on a bit of a budget. Doubling the price point from the box store gets you into a semi commercial type machine, doubling again will get you an awesome machine you’d never wear out and be the envy of your wood burning friends!

Welcome to the forum!
How much you want to spend is the first question….. any splitter will be easier/faster than an axe, any box store unit will likely be just fine if you want to get one on a bit of a budget. Doubling the price point from the box store gets you into a semi commercial type machine, doubling again will get you an awesome machine you’d never wear out and be the envy of your wood burning friends!
Around $2-3k anything beats an ax even though from time to time it feels good to swing em

Check out anything you can on the kinetic SuperSplit.
Most owners swear by them, including me. If you don't need a log lift, it's a good way to go.
You would need to store it inside however, compared to a hydraulic unit.
I was looking at those kinetic splitters a friend of mine has the dr power one what an incredible machine but doesnt do to well with knotty woods and they get stuck. He finally ran into issues after 10 years which is great. No fluids needed which is another plus. I’ll look into the super split

I was looking at those kinetic splitters a friend of mine has the dr power one what an incredible machine but doesnt do to well with knotty woods and they get stuck. He finally ran into issues after 10 years which is great. No fluids needed which is another plus. I’ll look into the super split
My friend has kept his outdoors for 10 years covered and those Subaru engines are great they start up on the 1st or 2nd pulls

I would think the quality of the wood might have a big bearing on which splitter would work best for you. I shied away from splitters for many years because they didn’t appear to be tall enough to work with.
The wood in our area is for the most part easy to split.
I purchased a cheap pre owned hydraulic unit and was very happy to find I can run it horizontally from a seated position. Seems to work pretty efficiently and is a lot easier to use than an axe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had my SuperSplit for many years of trouble-free work now. Put a great many cords through that thing. I'd never go back to hydraulic.
It does struggle with the knots/crotches, but there are techniques to improve that, and I can just avoid bringing that stuff home anyway.

I'm in the same boat as you, budget and expected # cords per yr.
I wish EastonMade had a smaller unit, the Ultra is sweet but still way overkill for me.
The SuperSplit is awesome but the prices went up and a 10-12week wait. Timberwolf TW1 or TW2 is next on my list

Had my SuperSplit for many years of trouble-free work now. Put a great many cords through that thing. I'd never go back to hydraulic.
It does struggle with the knots/crotches, but there are techniques to improve that, and I can just avoid bringing that stuff home anyway.
Unc, have you split much Pin Oak with it? That is the predominant tree here. Plus the trees that I usually bring home are in the 16" dia and bigger size. I have a Sugar Maple here that the wind broke about 4 feet off the ground, and it's roughly 50" across. I had to buck it to lengths with my 32" bar and had to hit it from both sides.

Back