splitter advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a new in the box honda 5.5 hp motor
new in box standard control valve with auto return .
6 foot I beam
now i think i will just buy a pump that i see mated to prebuilt splitter with a 5 hp.
as far as a ram i am not sure but i think a ram i see on prebuilt units as well.
I will need it to split small 10 inch round stuff and maybe 3 cords a year .

am i doing this right??

shayne

If you would keep your OWB you wouldnt need one...

them just jokes...:ices_rofl: .

Last edited by a moderator:
I am keeping it .
but i have big stuff that wont fit or is green and splitting will hefp it dry.
the joke link made my virus scan go nuts ????

Okay....

I think you are on the right track. My 6.5 would pull a 13.5 gpm 2 stage, but not a lot of extra. I think a 5.5 is gonna need a 11 gpm.

A 4 inch cylinder is about standard issue, and is a great compromise between speed, and power. Plus being common, they are cheap (relatively...:monkey: )

Single blade is the most universal and for what you want it is perfect.

The funny part is why are you building one? Costs just as much to buy one!?? Maybe you are like me, and want something "different". Whatever!

Go for it, have a blast. Until I set my socks on :angry: welding is fun!

-Pat

I think you are on the right track. My 6.5 would pull a 13.5 gpm 2 stage, but not a lot of extra. I think a 5.5 is gonna need a 11 gpm.

A 4 inch cylinder is about standard issue, and is a great compromise between speed, and power. Plus being common, they are cheap (relatively...:monkey: )

Single blade is the most universal and for what you want it is perfect.

The funny part is why are you building one? Costs just as much to buy one!?? Maybe you are like me, and want something "different". Whatever!

Go for it, have a blast. Until I set my socks on :angry: welding is fun!

-Pat

good post.

way i see it is i need to spend another $500 bucks and a little work and i am done.
around here they sell for about $1500 bucks

I got the 5.5 for a hundred bucks at an auction
the controll for $70
metal for free
so a pump and ram i would think no more than 500
big thing here is my wife seems to not blow a gasket when i drop a couple hundred here and there but over a grand and she starts screamin like a tasmanian devil with its leg in a trap.
then for weeks its why did ya need that and all you do is spend spend spend and what do i get to buy bla bla bla then i say what do you want and she is all nothing that i can think of but it must be nice to go out and blow 1500 on a log thingy and i clean and wash your cloths and for what .
so i am doing it this way

shayne

way i see it is i need to spend another $500 bucks and a little work and i am done.
around here they sell for about $1500 bucks

I got the 5.5 for a hundred bucks at an auction
the controll for $70
metal for free
so a pump and ram i would think no more than 500
big thing here is my wife seems to not blow a gasket when i drop a couple hundred here and there but over a grand and she starts screamin like a tasmanian devil with its leg in a trap.
then for weeks its why did ya need that and all you do is spend spend spend and what do i get to buy bla bla bla then i say what do you want and she is all nothing that i can think of but it must be nice to go out and blow 1500 on a log thingy and i clean and wash your cloths and for what .
so i am doing it this way

shayne

You talking about my wife or yours? Maybe they know each other!

I dont know why this freaking link keeps coming up.......I need help with it.

Sorry guys

that should work.

the harder the log is to split, the more ram diameter you need.

The more ram diameter you have for that occasional tough log, the slower it goes.

I have 23 horsepower, and a 4 inch diameter ram. The 4 inch is at the smaller end of splitters, but she's gonna be fairly quick.

but, i'm splitting softwood like redfir and lodgepole and pine.

i borrowed a 4 inch splitter with a 5 horse engine from a buddy last winter. It split EVERYTHING we threw at it, including a 36 inch wet green ponderosa.

I was looking at the princess auto flyer and they have splitter cylinders on sale.
4inch 24 inch stroke $279.
I think i will get one as then i have all the parts i need to get my splitter done.
now one question i have is do i put a wedge on the ram or do i push the log into the wedge??

I was looking at the princess auto flyer and they have splitter cylinders on sale.
4inch 24 inch stroke $279.
I think i will get one as then i have all the parts i need to get my splitter done.
now one question i have is do i put a wedge on the ram or do i push the log into the wedge??

Its kind of up to your liking, but I like the wedge away from the ram. Reason why is that it keeps junk from splitting away from the cylinder and the operator. Prolongs cylinder and operator life, just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back