Splitter capacity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camoman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So a buddy gave me a splitter that had a 7hp OHV engine that was seized due to rust (been sitting for years). I just picked up a cheaper 9hp OHV engine w/ectric start and wondered what size Cylinder I can match up to this? It has a pump that is belt driven from the motor to a pretty large cylinder now (old) but he mentioned the last time he used it (3years ago) it didnt have much jam anymore...
I'm knew to this whole splitter build thing so what should I be doing with the Cylider? rebuild or new? what tonage can I match up to this new engine? should I be upgrading the pump to a direct drive pump vs belt?

So a buddy gave me a splitter that had a 7hp OHV engine that was seized due to rust (been sitting for years). I just picked up a cheaper 9hp OHV engine w/ectric start and wondered what size Cylinder I can match up to this? It has a pump that is belt driven from the motor to a pretty large cylinder now (old) but he mentioned the last time he used it (3years ago) it didnt have much jam anymore...
I'm knew to this whole splitter build thing so what should I be doing with the Cylider? rebuild or new? what tonage can I match up to this new engine? should I be upgrading the pump to a direct drive pump vs belt?

To start off with, jot down your engine's shaft size and give the folks at Northern tools a call.They can help you with a pump and a mount.Forget the belt driven pump, it will only lead to heartache down the road and you might as well do it right the first time.

As far as the cylinder, they can rebuilt fairly cheap,but keep in mind one thing.A piece of equipement that has been left out in the elements for years is probably going to give you lots of problems.Be prepared to buy new hoses, flush the tank of hydralic fluid many times to get the rust out, and you may still have fragments jamming up your directional valve.Not trying to discourage you, but its best to know the numbers going into it.In many cases it is far cheaper to buy a used splitter in good condition rather than completely rebuild an old one that has been left out.Lots of variables to deal with, and often many cuss words are used while you work the crud and kinks out.

Latest posts

Back