Splitter cones !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aokpops

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
There just a big wood screw to split wood . I got the bright ideal to put one on the earth auger well it didn't work very good . It was way under power about all it did was get stuck in the wood . Now I have to decide to get a pipe wrench out or cut it out and not ruin a chain . What I have seen when they work is on a hydraulic machine of some kind . There is always that decsion what to take to the woods ? I could take a log splitter back to the woods and would be a major pain . I seen times when how are getting out here . Logistics in the woods are on very pro level or very lucky .

Pops, those splitter cones are not good. Way too many ways to get hurt. Years back there was a guy in this neighborhood who wound up drilling into his shoulder with one. He packed snow into the wound which may have saved his life. Send that thing to the salvage yard--its scrap value will be worthwhile compared to what it could cost you otherwise.

On an excavator with the right set up a screw is about the best thing I’ve seen for big gnarly wood. Our neighbor runs his green houses with a boiler and uses it to chunk up the tree service wood he gets. You wouldn’t want to split bundle wood with it but you can make almost anything manageable.

I could see how the ones where you have to shove the wood on to it yourself would be dangerous.

I rip a lot of wood with a 394 and 404 skip chain about 90 some drive links . I was just looking for faster an less work . I started burning wood in 1981 . My only mission statement was not spend a ton of money and be the most efficient as could be . I would say there is a fine line between spending nothing and all you have is junk . Or over spending you could have heated your house for 20 years with what was invested real fast . I have made mistakes many times . Maybe someone with new eyes on a problem can fix it .

Latest posts

Back