Splitter cycle times

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lagrue

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have found a 3pt hitch model splitter for my tractor. However my Tractor doesnt have the recommended 11 gpm of flow on the hydrolics. I am getting 9.8 gpm. I talked to the manufacturer( Ramsplitter). He said that the cycle time would be slower he estiimated 18 sec. I am not commercial cutting just cutting for my own use. Does anyone see a problem with this.

The problem I see is the inefficiency of running a large engine to do a small task. I believe a 5 hp engine will drive an 11 gpm pump for a log splitter.

Plus there is all the wear and tear on that large tractor engine.

Maybe an option is to go with a larger pto pump but then you would need a hydraulic tank, filter...etc.

18 seconds is a long cycle time.

I dont have a problem using the tractor, thats what I bought it for. I will probably only split 10 cords of wood. I only split whats to big to handle anyway. I would have to spend another 500-600 bucks for a model that has a 5hp gasoline engine. I already have hydrolic fluid in the tractor too. Adding a Pto pump is also about another 600 bucks. I am not going to do that.

Last edited:
If you don't want to spend the money for faster results then I guess you have to live with whatever cycle time your tractor will give you.

I will have to give this some more thought. I sure dont want to buy something I will regret.

Lagrue,

If your cylinder's output is 20 tons at 3000 psi ,it is a 4" bore.
If the cylinder has a 2" shaft, a 24" stroke, and is run at the rpm's require for the 9.8 gpm"s ,the cycle time will be 14 seconds.

With the tractor hydraulics the ram speed will be constant. Self powered log splitters usually have a 2-stage pump which starts out fast but slows to 1/4 it's initial speed once it reaches 600 psi.

Your 3 point should be the same as an average 20 ton self powered splitter.
, maybe a little faster.

a 10 gpm pump is 10 percent slower then an 11 gpm pump.

so, if the pump normally takes 16 seconds, you are talking 18 seconds.

gpm is how fast it moves.

I was thinking this too! Not much difference in time. If the valve is detented to return not much time is wasted.Ya got that tractor for using, not just for looking at.:clap: :clap:

I was thinking this too! Not much difference in time. If the valve is detented to return not much time is wasted.Ya got that tractor for using, not just for looking at.:clap: :clap:

Yep. IMO cycle time is grossly over emphasized. Maybe it is that important in commercial use but for homeowner?

My splitter is slow, 5hp 6x1 gear reduction driving a 13gpm pump. But while it is on the return stroke, I am getting the next chunk ready. The ram never stops moving for more than a few seconds and it is rare that it has to go to full stroke. Barring going through a knot, the wood splits long before it reaches the end. More than fast enough to suit me.

I have debated changing the motor to a direct drive but really can't see any benefit to me.

Harry K
Harry K

Pumps are rated at cubic inches per revolution ,the higher the rpms the more gpm.

Pressure is caused by resistance and the ability of the pump and motor to over come the resistance.

Lower rpms will effect gpm but not psi.

Volume wise of course not when it is being driven by a 6x1 reduction geared 5hp. Pressure wise I have no clue what happens there. Does running the pump slow decrease pressure? It will shear through reasonable size knots in soft wood.

Harry K

if you spin a pump faster then it was designed for, it will come apart. most pumps are also designed for a maximum psi.

so any given pump will pump any amount of gpm depending on how fast you spin it, for a little while.

so if your pump is sized to pump 13 gpm at 3500 rpm, and you are spinning it at 600 rpm (after the 6:1 reduction), it will actually pump 13/6 gpm, or a little over 2 gpm.
Which is just about the maximum 5 horsepower will pump, unless you are doing a 2 stage, or are willing to give up a bunch of splitting force.

That was about what I guessed. The motor/pump assy was a matter of 'using what was availble. We 'back doored' 7 of this model out of the company shop back in the late 70s, early 80s. Were building fertilyzer applicators and each had a demountable hydraulic power pack using those components. Often wanted to change the motor to a bigger one (I have an almost unused 11 hp briggs in my 'junk' pile) but never bothered as it works well as is.

Harry K

Back