Splitter Design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthornton

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm kicking some ideas around in my mind for a new splitter build. Just looking for a sanity check at this point.

My idea is to have the cylinder and beam flat for towing and upright for splitting but with a twist, the bottom of the table is ~30" off the ground. With a log lift on one side of course. When the beam/cyl is flat the trailer hitch on the end will allow towing with my side by side and when not in use being vertical it takes up less room under the carport.

Have I lost my mind?

John

There's a guy on here (from southern WI) that built a couple similar to that, except that the ram lowered down vertically for transport instead of folding, with a big work table and a cable log lift. I saw it in action at a GTG and thought it was a cool design. I'll try and find some pics later if no one else comes up with em first, gotta go run some errands now.

Found it, member triptester built it. If he doesn't show up here, maybe send him a PM.

Couple pics of his unit, first one shows the ram lowered for transport:

46493d1173464168-scan0008-1-jpg

46498d1173464458-scan0005-jpg

The ram raises and lowers itself. To raise the cylinder you operate the control valve extending the ram as you would when splitting. When the ram is fully extended 2 pins hold the clynder in place and your ready for splitting. To lower the procedure is reversed.

Look at my signature line below. Click the link to my log splitter conversion.

I see your in the other corner of MO from me, howdy neighbor.

I just got done reading your thread on the conversion. Nicely done. I didn't see a final photo of it and would be interested in seeing one if you have it.

Watching the powersplit videos I like the foot pedal valve that frees up your hands to guide the wood.

I'm working with a W8 28lb beam that was a drop from a job I did so it was free for me and plenty stout.

Looking at the MTD splitter with open eyes now as a conversion and being 59 the 19 second cycle time is about right for me :D

Did you take the cylinder apart before welding the ears on? Have you seen any issues with the welded area?

Edit: I also like the lift lock on the AUSSIE CHOPPER, that looks like a neat feature. I don't like the dual hand controls...

Thanks
John

Last edited:
I see your in the other corner of MO from me, howdy neighbor.

I just got done reading your thread on the conversion. Nicely done. I didn't see a final photo of it and would be interested in seeing one if you have it.

Watching the powersplit videos I like the foot pedal valve that frees up your hands to guide the wood.

I'm working with a W8 28lb beam that was a drop from a job I did so it was free for me and plenty stout.

Looking at the MTD splitter with open eyes now as a conversion and being 59 the 19 second cycle time is about right for me :D

Did you take the cylinder apart before welding the ears on? Have you seen any issues with the welded area?

Edit: I also like the lift lock on the AUSSIE CHOPPER, that looks like a neat feature. I don't like the dual hand controls...

Thanks
John

Howdy!!! I'm using a W6 x 28lb beam on this splitter. It's plenty stout! BTW. If you ever run into more W beam I'd be interested in purchasing some from you. I've always got idears running through my head. LOL.

I never took apart the cyl when I welded it. So far no issues and it's split 15+ cord of wood by now.

Here's a pic of it finished and we were splitting wood with it late fall. It will be getting a new axel soon with bigger tires!

Whoa! Nice shop jthornton!

I've run very little cnc equipment. All manual stuff. I am in the plastic injection part of things. I've got a small shop and fix what I can on the big molds that we have there.

Whoa! Nice shop jthornton!

I've run very little cnc equipment. All manual stuff. I am in the plastic injection part of things. I've got a small shop and fix what I can on the big molds that we have there.

Thanks, I had some time to draw today turns out I'm a bit short of beam for a 24" stroke so I'm going to have to improvise a bit it seems. In any case here is what I have so far.

View attachment 273432

I do have some 6x6x1/4 square tube and 6 1/2' piece of 8" ID x 3/8" wall pipe... must do some thinking outside of the box I think.

John

I use SolidWorks for all my design work... so fast I can make mistakes faster than I can see them LOL. I did some more thinking and redesigning this evening (work slow) and came up with a plan for vertical stowing the cylinder when not in use.

This shows it stowed, retracted, and extended. Best of all I use what materials I have on hand... stowed height from the deck to the top is just under 48" so if I make the deck height 24" then 6' tall when stowed.

View attachment 273473View attachment 273474View attachment 273475

John

Last edited:
Back