splitter hydraulic tank upgrade (pictures)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawjo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
You guys might remember me asking about some hydraulic tank plumbing questions a few weeks back. Well here are my results - a great upgrade.
I got this (Mighty Murc) splitter at a yard sale for $125. I replaced the motor, valve and pump and general clean up. I went with a 9HP Honda GX, a 16GPM pump and a prince valve. The cylinder (4 X 24") was rebuilt and is working perfectly. My only problem was the 6 gallon oil resivor between the wheels was too small for the new set up. I mounted this LENZ 15 gallon tank to the top of the old tank and repumbed. What a difference, I split for 3 hours in 85 degree heat this weekend and the oil was at 125 degrees - mucho better. I fabbed a "tray" so the tank would not sit on the fender and fabbed a bracket to catch the top of the mounting flanges. Its very stable and tows (45mph) very nicely. I got the tank at a local FleetPride truck parts store but its the same one as the Northern 15 gal side mount tank. It has the fill level sight guage/thermometer built in and a full baffle. Check out my handi-work:

splitter001dr8.jpg

splitter002di9.jpg

splitter003ja9.jpg

splitter004dw6.jpg

damn!!!! nice job!!!!!!!

and i like the oil sight gage on the side....a nice touch. (just don't break it) i thought of adding one of those myself.

nice job on building it. those tires look great on it too.

Stock tank is now empty. It had some crud in it and some hairline cracks where the axle was mounted so it leaked when the oil was hot. The new tank has plenty of oil capacity for this set up.

I haven't timed the cycle time, but its fast enough that I am running the engine considerably slower than full thottle. It is fast!

I am building one that is very much the same style. Do you see any replacable wear parts in the slide? Just fabbing mine and thought about leaving space for something if needed.

There is space in the slide. There are pieces of brass bar stock bolted in to ride on the beam.

Latest posts

Back