splitter hydraulics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffonks

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Thanks from a long time lurker, you folks have helped me more than I can tell you. OK, two years ago a friend on limited income, < 12k/yr, bought a used home built splitter. He called me because it needed work and I'm handy but I don't know anything about hydraulics. The first year I put a new used commercial briggs 5hp on it and new used wheels, wheel bearings and used tires on it. It was built on a Ford N Tractor front end with home made wheels.... now it tows at 60 mph just fine.
This year there was a leak in the ram. I removed it, took it to Northern Colorado Fluid Power and they rebuilt it. The surprise was that they charged me $70 over the $100 estimate. The hydraulic hose to the return side of the ram was shabby, so I had another company make a new one. On reassembly the new line leaked.
Rather than spend $40 in fuel hauling the splitter back to the front range I want to know if I can just order a made 1/2" hose from Northern Tool and install it with a swivel? How strong does the hose need to be? Will a swivel be strong enough?It's a single stage unit used to slowly split beetlekill pine to keep my poor disabled friend warm....
I spent $230 on his splitter so far, and I would like to stop...thanks

your return side is low pressure. the hose doesn't have to be that strong. but, why would a new hose leak? can't you send the hose back and tell them to fix it?

as for rebuilding the cylinder, you could have done that yourself. all the seals and parts are available on-line, and we even have a guy here who could have set you up.

the return hose is low pressure, until you bottom the ram out cuz you left it on too long.

for sure you can order a new hose from someone like surpluscenter.com. pay attention to what ends you have.

there is pipe, o-ring boss, and jic to start with.

Perhaps you have already solved your hose problem, but Hey Guys, the hose to the return side of the cylinder has to be a pressure hose. When the cylinder gets to either end of the stroke, the pressure will spike.
But I agree the new hose shouldn't leak. Take it back and any reputable business will make it right with you.
I have an aversion to cheap Chinese hoses available from the discount houses, especially the ones with a built-in swivel.
I don't know of the hydraulic shop you went to, but we virtually never go over our estimate without first contacting our customer.

[email protected]

Latest posts

Back