Splitter lifespans?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msjanket

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
In buying, say, used commercial units that have been run long and hard, how long can we expect pumps to last? Do they wear at a constant pace or essentially if filtration is good during their life, do they last "forever"? Can we also expect cylinders to wear and do we just handle that with rebuilding or buying new cylinders?

Mike

Really depends on what "Hard and Long are" I've seen pumps last a lifetime and ones that lasted a year. As far as cylinders go, well it's true you can rebuild, if the cylinder and other internal parts are not scared or corroded bad. Including the shaft. But alot of the time seal kits can be expensive and hard to locate. Even If your cylinder is still good. Yes everything wears, how much is the question. Now you can tell alot more by installing guages upfront. Pressure now, and how much is lost over a period of time. Even if you go buy a used unit, might work great one day and blow the seal the next day. That's just how hydralic pressure works. Hope somthing here helps.

In buying, say, used commercial units that have been run long and hard, how long can we expect pumps to last? Do they wear at a constant pace or essentially if filtration is good during their life, do they last "forever"? Can we also expect cylinders to wear and do we just handle that with rebuilding or buying new cylinders?

Mike

CMB said it,..How long will the engine last in your car,?..Does anyone know?.Maintence helps,. but there are NO guarentes , especially buying used,..Eric

All you can do is look it over well and run it a bit before buying. Test Drive so too speak. No leaks anywhere, clean around the fittings, hoses not pinched up, engine runs well, etc..

My neighbor and firewooding partner has a very old unit that came as just a beam, 3"cyl and motor. I guess you threw it onto the woodpile or something? He build a trailor with wooden table for it. This thing looks like it only holds a gallon or so of fluid and the B&S 5hp motor is ancient. That said, the thing has split hundreds of cords of wood and is still going strong! When he accumulates a good sized pile of large rounds I'll drag mine down and do a verticle run for him (or he wedges them by hand). He's had this unit since the 70's and I'd swear that the hoses are original! :cheers:

Ive got an old splitter from central tractor my dad bought in the 80', its on its 3rd 5hp engine but still has its original hydraulic pump and cylinder which has been repacked a cpl times

make sure to check the hyd. fluid. look at the color. if it's milky or cloudy stay away from it! you'll be chasing the rust monster for eternity. check hyd. hose ends for leak at the swivel if it has them. cylinders can always be honed, polished and re-sealed. just had a 5" diameter done at caterpillar here in Raleigh. but it will run you about 300-400 bucks. one last thing to check out is play on a cylinder. take a piece of sweetgum, something with very twisted grain. when the machine is put in a bind look for shifting up and down from the cylinder or wedge runner. that will show about how much wear she's got.

Latest posts

Back