splitter maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbighump

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
i know how everone on here loves a good ol oil thread so here goes, what kind of oil should i run in my honda gx270 on my splitter.
i run rotella 15w-40 in my dodge and toyota and was wonderin if this was ok with the honda. the only reason i was asking is cause i know rotella has a better additive package than car oils.
my engine says to use 10w-30 or sae30 in the warmer months, i think rotella makes a 10-30 and was wondering if its ok in this small engine. it works fine in the dodge and toy but those are a pressurized system. just dont want to damage the honda:cheers: thanks

Any SJ or SM 10-30 oil is OK for a gas engine. Rotella will be good. I tend to run full synthetic oils in my OPE air cooled engines since they may run hotter than water cooled stuff.

Thats a good choice, Even better if you run your splitter wfo. I usually run my splitter about 3/4 throttle, in the summer months I'll run 10-30 or 10-40 and the rotella does have a good additive package, now even better than mobil1. (they cut the good stuff by more than 1/2-I'll never use that again)

Run the Rotella 15-40 all ya want in the summer. I have a couple GX series running field pumps, that thrive on it for 8-12 hours a day every day untill it quits raining so much, then they get switched over to flood irrigating.
Poor things get no love, and nary a whimper out of 'em.

10-40 Rotella might make ya feel better, I only run the 15-40 cuz it's what I buy in bulk.

My splitter is currently running Mobil 1 10-30, simply because I am using up the last of a couple cases. I'll be danged if I spend that kind of $$$ for oil again though. Good oil is good oil.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I have a old 8hp kohler on my splitter. It gets whatever oil I have around at the time. Sometimes 30w, sometimes 10w-30, sometimes 10w-40, you name it I will run it. I only run it in the spring, summer, fall so I dont need anything to special.

Hondas are bullet proof anyways. Shoot, you could probably run used oil from your car.

i only have about 3 hours on the engine and have been running valvoline conventional 10w30, while this is prolly fine i want something that will hold up better without spending $ on synthetic.

Rotella Triple Protection Diesel 15W-40 Oil

Rotella Triple Protection Diesel 15W-40 is a premium engine oil. I use it in the hydraulics (during Spring, Summer and Fall) in my Cub Cadet 54" Tank Zero Turn lawn mower.

Nosmo

Hondas are bullet proof anyways. Shoot, you could probably run used oil from your car.

My buddy races stock car and his sponsor buys his oil changes every week of fully synthetic oil's. Usually Mobil 1. Needless to say I take all the oil that comes to me. Oil looks brand new. Well only has 20 laps on it. They buy him a K&N oil filters as well.

Any SJ or SM 10-30 oil is OK for a gas engine. Rotella will be good. I tend to run full synthetic oils in my OPE air cooled engines since they may run hotter than water cooled stuff.

EXACTLY RIGHT, not only do they run hotter, they are sloppy inside compared to new cars etc. And most have a non-metallic mechanism for pumping oil, usually a plastic gear coming off the crank or cam. I have always run synthetic in my small engines, including Royal Purple in our framing compressor, which runs 40-50 hours per week year round.

I would definitely run synthetic (mobil1 is my choice, but there are many good ones). It doesn't take very much and you will probably only have to change it once a year. Most of these engines are splash lubricated, so synthetic would be a cheap investment in the longevity of that motor. Believe it or not, sometimes you can actually hear a difference also.

Back