Splitter opinions, please!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kensterfly

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've found a couple of items around the house that I am selling on eBay. One sale yesterday brought me almost $500 and another should bring about $200 or better. So, I am going to get serious about a splitter, but not necessarily in a rush.
A Huskee 22 is a major contender, especially if they go back on sale for $1000. Another $100 coupon might clinch the deal!

As posted earlier, I've been looking at a 27 ton Cub Cadet but have pretty much decided against it unless the Pawn shop owner caves in on my $800 drive out offer. It's virtually brand new and would be a great deal at that price. Might just turn around and sell it for a profit.

Today I was looking on- line at Iron and Oak Splitters. Right now they are offering free shipping, and of course, no sales tax.
So, what are your thoughts of a 16 ton Iron and Oak vs the Huskee 22? At the non-sale price of about $1280 with sales tax, the Huskee will run about $50 more than the 16 ton I & 0 vertical/Horizontal with 5.0 Honda, or even money with the I & O
16 ton Horizontal only with a 5.5 Honda.

The Iron and Oaks 16 ton are running $150 to $200 off regular price.

The I & O 15 ton is on sale for $999, which is $400 off, and again, no shipping charge or taxes. Which is very attractive except that it is a horizontal split only.

I don’t know much about Iron and Oak, though I get the idea they are fairly upscale and well made in the USA

So...Huskee 22 vs a 15 or 16 ton Iron and Oak all in the same ball park, moneywise?

Thoughts, please.

Still watching Craigslist, also, for a good use one.

Never used any of your choices, but I've seen the Huskees get bashed on here for valve problems & poor dealer support---- have heard nothing but good about I & O. Also, I used my V/H splitter in the vert mode only a few times--- HATED IT! I'd rather noodle a big round, then split it in the horizontal mode, I think you'll find most users would agree.

Thanks, Steve. Though I have to say I read that a lot of guys like the vertical mode and some do it exclusively. I want the option of doing it either way.

I've found a couple of items around the house that I am selling on eBay. One sale yesterday brought me almost $500 and another should bring about $200 or better. So, I am going to get serious about a splitter, but not necessarily in a rush.
A Huskee 22 is a major contender, especially if they go back on sale for $1000. Another $100 coupon might clinch the deal!

As posted earlier, I've been looking at a 27 ton Cub Cadet but have pretty much decided against it unless the Pawn shop owner caves in on my $800 drive out offer. It's virtually brand new and would be a great deal at that price. Might just turn around and sell it for a profit.

Today I was looking on- line at Iron and Oak Splitters. Right now they are offering free shipping, and of course, no sales tax.
So, what are your thoughts of a 16 ton Iron and Oak vs the Huskee 22? At the non-sale price of about $1280 with sales tax, the Huskee will run about $50 more than the 16 ton I & 0 vertical/Horizontal with 5.0 Honda, or even money with the I & O

The I & O 15 ton is on sale for $999, which is $400 off, and again, no shipping charge or taxes. Which is very attractive except that it is a horizontal split only.

I don’t know much about Iron and Oak, though I get the idea they are fairly upscale and well made in the USA

So...Huskee 22 vs a 15 or 16 ton Iron and Oak all in the same ball park, moneywise?

Thoughts, please.

IandO is the caddy of splitters in my opinion but they are pricey. Don't buy anything made by MTD such as Cub Cadet, Troy Built etc. MTD is an entry level manufacturer so their stuff is priced accordingly. My .02

To the OP

Read your post twice, but being as it's early in the am, I didn't see how much wood you plan on splitting a year. Will it be just personal use, or are you going to sell any wood?

If you're in the 5 cord or less range, the 22 ton Huskee has a very good reputation among the members that use one. Iron and Oak splitters are well built, getting closer to a commercial machine. You'll be gaining quality of construction, but giving up 25 % splitting force. That decision has to be yours based upon the most common type, size and species of wood to be split.

Finding a used commercial grade splitter, though not impossible, in that price range will be tough. They literally sell within 2 hours of the add being posted.

Take Care

I have been very happy with my 22T Huskee splitter from TSC. I know some have been singing the praises of an online Speeco distributor as well. I have been using a friends 34T Speeco for about ten years. It gets used to split in the neighborhood of 40 cords per year (now more like 30). I personally spit between 8-10 cords per year and I believe the 22T Huskee will last a long time at that rate.

I have never used an I&O splitter but they do look like well made machines. One of my concerns with the 16T model is that I see no log stripper at the return position of the ram. The log stripper on my Huskee doesn't get used often, but when it does I am sure glad its there. With the smaller cylinder and lower splitting capacity of the I&O, I imagine you may need it more. Beating an stuck chunk of wood off the wedge sucks! I also didn't like the 20" max splitting length. I suppose if that's the largest piece your stove will take it is a non issue. My stove will take a 24" piece and I like to shoot for 20ish. That doesn't leave much room for error.

We heat our home exclusively with wood, but I rarely burn unless the overnight temps are going to be 40 degrees or lower. So, we burn between a cord and a half and two cords a year. I'm currently trying to build up a four to five year stash and have maybe three cords stacked in rounds ready to be split. All that wood is already bucked to my stove size of 19 to 20 inches and I'd rather not have to go back and trip the rounds to fit a splitter.

Because I enjoy the work, and because I have access to more dead and down wood than I can ever burn in ten lifetimes, I think I could sell a little bit on the side but do not plan on going into the business in a big way. The wood I have is almost exclusively hard wood: roughly 60% Water Oak, 30% Post Oak, and 10% Pignut Hickory. I love Water Oak. It's straight grain makes for pretty easy splitting.

A Huskee 22 would probably do me just fine. Or the equivalent SpeeCO, if I could get a good deal. But when I saw the I & 0 splitters for the same price, or less, it kinda piqued my interest. I think a 15 or 16 ton would work for me. I think the I & Os would have enough power and seem to be very rugged. I definitely want to be able to split vertical and horizontal.

I'm not in a real big hurry so I'm doing research. And I'd be happy to find a good deal on Craigslist.

Iron and Oak is the way to go. While pricier than others, they are a heavy duty machine. Throw a big round up on it and split away. It's a great machine.

Have you looked at the Powerhorse 20 ton Dual Split? For the money, it seems tough to beat. It splits on both the extend and return strokes. If you have a nice table setup next to it, you can get a lot done in almost half the time.

Have you looked at the Powerhorse 20 ton Dual Split? For the money, it seems tough to beat. It splits on both the extend and return strokes. If you have a nice table setup next to it, you can get a lot done in almost half the time.

I've seen those and have watched a video. Seems like you would really have to work fast, or even have an able helper, to make it worthwhile, meaning, to take advantage of splitting on the retract. I think I read that one forum member had one. He liked it but i believe he said he doesn't often split both ways.

Plus, I really want to be able to split both vertical and horizontal. I often get oak rounds that weigh 320 to 350 pounds.

And, I like to buck to 20-21 inches so would need a splitter that can accommodate that.

I've seen those and have watched a video. Seems like you would really have to work fast, or even have an able helper, to make it worthwhile, meaning, to take advantage of splitting on the retract. I think I read that one forum member had one. He liked it but i believe he said he doesn't often split both ways.

Plus, I really want to be able to split both vertical and horizontal. I often get oak rounds that weigh 320 to 350 pounds.

And, I like to buck to 20-21 inches so would need a splitter that can accommodate that.

Yeah, like everything else, you need a system to make it work well. It still seems like a real good value, but if you need vertical, I guess it's a no-go.
BTW, what part of Texas are you in? I lived in Forney, just outside of Dallas, and plan to retire to the Lone Star State (if there is such a thing as 'retirement' by the time I am of age).
I love Texas.

I've used a 22T Iron and Oak and man it's a nice splitter. Fast cycle time too. Love that thing. I rented it from a General Rent All

When I bought one though I went for the 22T Huskee for the price. I have two friends who've been using the Huskees for 10+ years aand not had big problems with them.

I split between 4-6 cords a year so I don't really need a commercial unit. Like the OP I sold some other farm equipment to pay for it so it didn't cost me a dime.

Only concern for me would be going with a 16T Iron and Oak. That might be a bit small if you ever split heavier wood? I don't know. I've never used one that size. Good luck on your choice! Either way you'll be very glad to have a splitter around the house.

Yeah, like everything else, you need a system to make it work well. It still seems like a real good value, but if you need vertical, I guess it's a no-go.
BTW, what part of Texas are you in? I lived in Forney, just outside of Dallas, and plan to retire to the Lone Star State (if there is such a thing as 'retirement' by the time I am of age).
I love Texas.

We live about halfway between Cat Spring and Raccoon Bend. That ought to narrow it down for you.

Actually we're about an hour and half west of Houston between Brenham and Bellville. An hour south of College Station.

Thoughts, please.

Well, I can tell you one thing. There is one rule of thumb when it comes to buying a logsplitter, buy a bigger unit than what you think you need.
Sure, the Iron and Oak 15 ton is a great splitter made by a very good company, but unless you are going to stick to small wood that 15 tons is not a lot of force. Its far better to save up a few bucks and get a bigger splitter than what you think you need the first time around. There is nothing short of a skantily dressed pretty woman walking by that will kill production faster than a under sized log splitter. Figure out what you need, then go one size bigger if you can possibly afford it. Buying smaller now and wishing you had a bigger one six months from now can get to be a costly mistake.

If you want some decent prices on a speeco splitter, no sales tax, and free shipping, take a look here. Well worth your time.
Log Splitters- FREE SHIPPING - OMNI Mfg

One other thing. Once you decide what you want to buy, stop on back here and give a shout out. There is likely going to be somebody around here that either has one or knows someone who does, and nothing can clinch or ditch a deal faster than spending a few hours behind a machine. An hour or two drive to a nearby member can save you many years of grief, and will make your shopping even more informed.

Never used any of your choices, but I've seen the Huskees get bashed on here for valve problems & poor dealer support---- have heard nothing but good about I & O. Also, I used my V/H splitter in the vert mode only a few times--- HATED IT! I'd rather noodle a big round, then split it in the horizontal mode, I think you'll find most users would agree.

Can't let that one slide.... Huskee / Speeco actually have some customer support and this has been noted on this site repeatedly... I have run 35 -40 cord through mine with NO issues... It even got hit by a truck while my son was pulling it from one field to another down the road. It's now bent... And still functions and does not leak... The I&O splitter is a very well made splitter also. JMHO...

I just picked up a speeco 28 ton with briggs 1450 series engine this morning at my local farm and home. It was $1599.99, but today was 10% off everthing in the store. I got out the door for $1553.00. Basically it did a little more than pay for sales tax. Got it home and split some elm and walnut before it got too hot. I am very pleased with it seems like it has alot of nuts.

View attachment 189635

Can't let that one slide.... Huskee / Speeco actually have some customer support and this has been noted on this site repeatedly... I have run 35 -40 cord through mine with NO issues... It even got hit by a truck while my son was pulling it from one field to another down the road. It's now bent... And still functions and does not leak... The I&O splitter is a very well made splitter also. JMHO...
Let me clarify... I've heard that if you have a problem w/ a Huskee, the customer service you receive from the TSC store in many cases leaves something to be desired.

Let me clarify... I've heard that if you have a problem w/ a Huskee, the customer service you receive from the TSC store in many cases leaves something to be desired.

Thank you for the clarification... Your statement is correct. The stores are not the ones who back this product. Speeco is the go-to source for anything you need. I always just assume I am"ON MY OWN" when purchasing anything from saws, to splitters. I have been let down too many times by otherwise reputable dealers. My local saw shop just shook their head when I told them their 390 I was looking at got bumped by a Dolmar. Good guys and all, but I didn't have the heart to let em know I wouldn't trust em with anything of mine anyway... Same goes for my splitter. I can fix or replace ANY component on it without even rolling it into the shop.:computer2:

I have a line on a 35 ton Huskee for a pretty good price. Never really considered 35 tons at all but if this works out, it will be too good of a deal to pass up. My neighbor runs a local rental store and has a 35 ton SpeeCo in his stable. He just gave me a check out on it. Seems simple enough.

I'm going to go for it. If it works out I'll be sure to let the Brethren know. In the meantime, bring on your stories about Huskee 35s. I'd love to hear them.

I have a line on a 35 ton Huskee for a pretty good price. Never really considered 35 tons at all but if this works out, it will be too good of a deal to pass up. My neighbor runs a local rental store and has a 35 ton SpeeCo in his stable. He just gave me a check out on it. Seems simple enough.

I'm going to go for it. If it works out I'll be sure to let the Brethren know. In the meantime, bring on your stories about Huskee 35s. I'd love to hear them.

From what I have seen, once you get into the bigger 28 to 35 ton splitters the Huskee and Speeco products are virtually identical (although I have not compared actual specs). The big difference is the customer service. I will admit I have never had to deal with TSC for any issues but the internet is FULL of negative experiences which is enough to steer me away. On the other hand I can honestly say that Speeco customer support has been outstanding - above and beyond what I would've expected in this day and age. I cannot recommend Speeco enough!

Latest posts

Back